My buddys' MPG claims

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Eric Smith

My sisters Venture got over 30 on the highway all the time.

I don't doubt that. The OP's friend is claiming 25mpg for CITY driving.

Have heard many folks claim great mpg with the 3800 V6.

Your friend is the first one I've heard that can equal the EPA mpg on the Equinox.

Most I've seen or talk to speak of mid teens in town and low twenties on hwy with 4cyl engine. And that's after break-in.

Originally Posted By: MrCritical

Your friend is the first one I've heard that can equal the EPA mpg on the Equinox.

Most I've seen or talk to speak of mid teens in town and low twenties on hwy with 4cyl engine. And that's after break-in.

I had a 3800 V6 in a 1994 Olds 88 I bought new. IRRC (sold it in '01) that I regularly got 30-33 MPG on the highway. Can't quite recall what the city mileage was but it was over 20 mpg I know. As comparsion, the Lexus I just sold with the 3.5L V6 got about 17 in town and never got up to 30 highway (25-27 avg). 2 Months on my old Jag 4.0L V6 I get 17-19 no matter where I seem to drive.

BTW, got 66 MPG on my Mini Cooper S one time. The trick - driving with a 70 MPH west Texas wind at my back on lonely stretch of highway. Think I got about 8mpg coming the other way.

Originally Posted By: Samilcar
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I have never whitnessed him actually calculating the MPG for his vehicles after a fill up

There's your answer. If he doesn't calculate MPG, how does he determine what kind of mileage he is getting?

He does calculate the miles/gallons used, using a small calculator that he leaves in his golve box. I have just never seen him performing the actual task..Is what I meant!

I have never been with him when he has filled up either. The car is always ready to go!

Last edited:
I think there are plenty of people "out there" and on this board who will calculate mpg enough times until they get a really good number and then stop. The best number is the one that their vehicle now averages. It's like saying my Civic gets 43 mpg when it really is averaging 34.

I think these people are pretty common out there and while not entirely full of it, pretty darn close.

Clark

Originally Posted By: Char Baby

But with my buddy, I can't put my finger on what he is doing to net the MPG that he is claiming. I do know one thing and we in our family are all doing this...Is that we're using the cruise control more often than most people do, even just running down the road for a few miles. I don't see much difference for myself on the city MPG cycle but, my hwy MPG is better/more consistant as I am traveling more at the posted speed limit and not much over, while locking on the CC.

You can get better MPG by NOT using the cruise control under most conditions, because with most cruise control systems they apply too much throttle going up hills in order to maintain the set speed. If you maintain your speed with your foot, you can ease off on the accelerator a little bit when going up hills, sure you'll slow down a little bit but then you can get back up to speed on the other side when coming down the hill. Also, when not using the cruise control you can coast more often as well, and that's when you'll really see your gas mileage jump. That's why I love my Scangauge II, it has allowed me to adjust my driving habits in order to get better MPG in my Civic for sure. I don't even use the CC anymore because it bothered me how easily my automatic trans would be forced into a 5-4 downshift on even slight hills on the highway, where without the CC it will usually stay in 5th gear. And the instant MPG on the Scangauge shows a huge drop in MPG whenever the trans makes a downshift like that.

Originally Posted By: cchase
I never believe anyones mpg claims. That includes most everyone on this board as well. Everyone has some reason to claim something with their fuel economy (good or bad) and they all fudge numbers or choose which tanks they want to base "normal" on.

This

My VQ35DE average was about same as EPA estimate. Close to 23mpg, that's if on board computer shows it right.
My Camry exceeds EPA by 30% on average,and my previous Altima which had auto tranny and little bigger engine.Camrys mpg Estimated by ecomodder website calculator, where you just input your mileage and gallon use to fill your tank to the top. While I was doing it (about 10 tanks) to see my average in current everyday conditions, I saved all receipts,so I can come back and recalculate.
Someone said V6 can't have better mpg than L4. Maybe on same car,and same model. My friend has 1.8t GTI,well it is modded, his highway average mpg on same long route was about 5 mpg lower. His brother had 2.0T GTI,stock, his MPG was little better than my friends 1.8t GTI, but still lower than mine for about 3-2 mpg.And it's hwy,where turbo doesn't kick in so much. City-they both like to drive like maniacs sometime, so it was like 8-12mpg I guess
smile.gif

Unless I know someone knows how to calculate MPG and does it over complete tanks (or significant miles) and know to look for spurious data, I don't believe a word of what I hear.

I have a buddy that tells me he get 30 MPG on the highway in his IS350, but he doesn't include the acceleration onto the highway. He uses the trip computer to measure a short piece of road and nets 30. If he were to run through a whole tank at 80, including on/off ramps and speed variances - he would not get 30mpg.

I can get 30 mpg for a few minutes at a time, but I can't sustain it.

The truth is that I don't believe much of what anyone says anyway unless I can prove it myself.

I have had a random car every so often that gets better gas mileage than most of that make/model. I had a 4 cyl altima rental in Minnesota that got exceptional mileage over two tanks. I figure it was just a fluke because I rent them all the time and none of the others did so well. It was strong too - a good example.

My cars have terrible gas mileage. The oldest one LS400 get about 17-19 MPG with 50-50 hwy-city. The E430 get about 21-22 MPG with 70-30 hwy-city with thinner oil (xW20), it got 20-21 with M1 0W40. S2000 get better gas mileage than EPA estimate of 17-24 city-hwy, it get about 20-21 city and 25-26 hwy.

Many same generation LS400 owners reported 23-25 MPG for mixed driving, and E430 owners achieved mid 20's for mix driving. S2000 owners said they could get up to 30-32 MPG on highway with average speed of 80-85 MPH.

I maintain the car well, clean air filter and good/new plugs, inflate tires 4-6 PSI above placard ... and still get less MPG than most other drivers.

I can get 25mpg+ (as told by the Scangauge II) out of both my car (96 Ford Crown Vic P71) and my moms car (2002 Outback H6) in the city, going from one end of town and all the way back. It all depends on how you drive.

Are my tank averages that high? No, but I can have trip averages that high.

I've had some turkeys too, a rental taurus that barely pulled 26-27 highway going exactly 65. My 2000 buick century did 24.5 or 25, city or highway, didn't matter. Was miffed because its 3.1 should pull better MPG than the bigger 3.8. I also had an olds intrigue, same W-body, that did 30 with the cruise at speed limit, a few better than EPA, on the same chassis with the bigger 3800.

Since I've had a bunch of beater cars and all drive them the same way I notice the odd turkey that can barely manage EPA ratings and I'm not going to take the blame.
wink.gif
Wait ten years and maybe I'll get one of these 32 MPG equinoxes and I can give my report.
wink.gif

I am unclear how accurate the MPG guage in our 2005 Subaru Legacy turbo. In the winter it manages 22MPG and now after the trip meter (10,000 mile capacity) has reset and is back at 35000 miles its back to 24MPG for the summer mileage.

My wife drives 85% highway but she goes near 80MPH.

I am surprised with my current 2007 MDX. It is managing with easy driving to get 20MPG in basically stop/go/short trips. I only have about 700 miles of data though overall so too early to tell.

My previous high strung(2.0L turbo) Subaru WRX wagon driving with similar acceleration which required higher revs only 21MPG.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
I am surprised with my current 2007 MDX. It is managing with easy driving to get 20MPG in basically stop/go/short trips. I only have about 700 miles of data though overall so too early to tell.

That would be pretty good if it keeps up. Our '05, with a very similar powertrain, averaged 17.9mpg overall since we got it last year. Our worst tank was 15.2mpg and best tank was 22.8mpg. Original EPA is 17/23 for it, revised EPA 15/21. We get close to the original EPA for the most part.

Your '07's original and revised estimates are 17/22 and 15/20 respectively. If you can keep it up at 20mpg, that's impressive.

Originally Posted By: MrCritical

My buddy claims that his "glove box calculator" reading is within several 10's of a MPG compared to the MPG figure listed in the dash information system, consistantly wheather the MPG is higher or lower.

So, even with all of my sceptisism, he may actually be onto something. What puzzles me though is that, I see him sitting and waiting with the engine idling and he makes many short trips, stop/go driving and still claims this great MPG with all of his cars. Especially with his previous vehicles that were not known for good MPG. This particular Equinox is known for "BETTER" MPG of all the vehicles that he has owned(Chevy Caprice V8, Pontiac Bonnies, Celebrity V6's, Lumina's, Chevy Ventures) to name a few. The Equinox is his 1st 4 cyl ever.

Maybe GM has something going on with their MPG. GM is all he drives.

Originally Posted By: CBR.worm
I have had a random car every so often that gets better gas mileage than most of that make/model. I had a 4 cyl altima rental in Minnesota that got exceptional mileage over two tanks. I figure it was just a fluke because I rent them all the time and none of the others did so well. It was strong too - a good example.

My '04 Altima 2.5 is rated on the old EPA scale of 23/29 and new EPA sacle of 21/27. I regularly get 23-25 city(on all tanks) and can touch 30 highway so, I'm in the ballpark.

Once in a while during the hot summer months, I'll get a tankfull(or two) of gas that nets me 27 mpg/city, sevreal times throughout the summer and I can't explain why since there was no extra highway driving that can recall and I use the same station/pump when I can. It may have been the heat/humidity during those particular tanks as I usually get them 2 in a row before the MPG goes back to, what I would call normal!

I have also gotten on the highway, 30 mpg and 27 mpg. They all should be over 30 mpg IMHO! Most of my highway trips are to Baltimore, MD from Rochester, NY to see the Orioles/Yankees, 6hrs non stop. Takes me longer to drive to NYC and the city driving is a mess just to get to the hotel. And parking! Fogedabodid!

It actually takes me less time and effort to drive from Rochester to Baltimore, Toronto or Cleveland and catch a game there than it is to drive to NYC. And I live in NY State...Fogedabodid!

Hey, did I spell that right?...Ah, Fogedabodid!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back