My buddys' MPG claims

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not that I don't beleive my good friend when he tells me of his MPG claims for his vehicles. Which ever vehicle he owns!

His MPG claims surpass the EPA "highway" rating for the engine, while driving in the "city". I do realize that he drives very easy and due to only having the one vehicle, he isn't getting another vehicles MPG claims confused.

He is the only driver of this vehicle as his wife has never driven. I have driven with him often as we often hang together. Either he drives or I do. I don't see the difference in the way that he drives compared to the way that I drive. If anything, I think that I'm a bit easier on the gas when starting out and while cruising although we have different vehicles and engines.

My 4 cyl engines are EPA'd higher than his V6's but he claims that he is getting XX MPG/city, which is better or at least matches my XX MPG/city. Mine being an '04 ALTIMA 2.5 S 4cyl automatic. His MPG kills my wifes' Lexus RX-300 w/3.0 V6 and they're pretty close on the EPA city(hiwy being different).

Recently he owned a '04 Chevy Venture MiniVan w/3.4 L V6 @ over 4000lbs claiming to be getting 25 MPG city. IIRC, the EPA was 17 or 18 city/26 hwy. Prior to this '04 Venture MV he owne a '99 Venture MV with the same set up. And he does mostly city driving as neither he or his wife really travel anywhere outside the city/county limits expcept to shop/lunch.

Now, he has recently(April 2011) bought a new '11 Equinox 4cyl FWD only. EPA'd @ 22/32. His city MPG claims are all between 28-30 MPG with a low of 23 MPG city. As myself, very little expressway with the exception of one on ramp to the next off ramp(a few miles). Sure, on the weekends maybe further on the expressway on ramp to off ramp(15 miles), lots of stops once at their destination because they hit all of the malls'/plazas' and stop for lunch.

He doesn't buy fuel economy type vehicles but does drive them to get the max MPG for what they are. He has always made these claims throughout the 35 years we have known each other. I have never whitnessed him actually calculating the MPG for his vehicles after a fill up so, I can't argue the point. But, I have drive with him and I can't pinpoint anything that he does compared to myself.

On the other hand, I can pinpoint the differences between me and my wife as she is on and off the throttle the whole time she is driving and slows down abruptly. A bit hard on the throttle from a stop but not absurd.

But with my buddy, I can't put my finger on what he is doing to net the MPG that he is claiming. I do know one thing and we in our family are all doing this...Is that we're using the cruise control more often than most people do, even just running down the road for a few miles. I don't see much difference for myself on the city MPG cycle but, my hwy MPG is better/more consistant as I am traveling more at the posted speed limit and not much over, while locking on the CC.

I don't see where my buddy is accelerating any slower than I nor getting up to speed any differently than myself(prior to using the CC). He does drive responsibly, I'll give him that(as I do). I have learned a few things from him and his driving habbits but, they haven't netted me much better MPG(if any at all) than I was already getting. He claims that he doesn't even see much effect from winter driving and he is claiming that he uses a calculator when figuring the MPG and compares it to the MPG reading on his dash screen in the vehicle.

What ever he is doing, he needs to teach others and tell the MFG of his vehicles what he is getting so that they can use him for their testing of their EPA MPG ratings.

He changes his oil @ 3mo/3K miles from the instant oil change places, get the ATF change out once or twice in his ownership life of the car and over inflates his tires ~ 5-6 psi and keeps the vehicle clean. That's it. Oh yeah, he does pray(as I do) prior to traveling.

Of all of his driving tecniques that I have applied to my own vehicles and my driving style, I haven't really seen much if at all any differences in MPG than what I was already getting. Which tells me that I am already doing OK! But, he is killing his EPA ratings on his all of his vehicles(going back many years) where I am meeting and only slighty exceeding mine.

What say you? Is he full of it? Or just doing better than most?

Last edited:
I never believe anyones mpg claims. That includes most everyone on this board as well. Everyone has some reason to claim something with their fuel economy (good or bad) and they all fudge numbers or choose which tanks they want to base "normal" on.

Fuel economy varies depending on a lot of factors, and it can vary between two identically-equipped vehicles, even with identical driving. But...

I have a brother-in-law who should have "Exaggerate" as his middle name. If the car actually gets 22 MPG, he'll claim he gets 38.

I learned to never believe anyone's personal fuel economy claims. I constantly see people making claims that I simply know cannot be true. Just recently there was a thread somewhere with people claiming to get several MPG better mileage in the V6 version of one particular vehicle than I've ever gotten with the L4 version. I mean come on, when the EPA rating for the V6 is 24 highway, 30 for the L4, and I've eeked out 32, don't tell me you get 34.5 with the V6 while you're averaging 75 MPH on a road trip. (Unless perhaps that road trip was from the top of Mt. Everest to the bottom.)

I think people are either multiplying mileage by 2 before calculating MPG, or else they just make up a number. So I calculate my own and ignore everything else. I'm not saying that everyone is deceptive or mistaken but I know many people are.

I never thought MPG is something people would have an ego about. Guess I was wrong.

I say he can really do it. The EPA tests are very standarized and therefore a know quantity for the auto manufactures. It is very easy to program a cars shift acheule to match the drive cycles to give the best EPA MPG ratings. In every car I have owned I will get better MPGs in the city vs. my 70mph highway drive. Im not sure on the EPA ratings for my 2 cars but with the Solstice I am always above 30 MPG, which always has some WOT fun, and between 45-46 MPG with my CR-Z. And, no I do not hold up traffic if I need to get going in a hurry from a stop I will.

Last edited:
The 3400 engine in the Venture is more than capable of 25 mpg city. Other than that, your friend sounds like he has no idea what he is talking about and you clearly think he is full of [censored]. Either way, go GM.

I agree that he's probably getting what he says. I don't assume someone is lying until they give me a reason to do so. I also usually beat the EPA claims pretty easily with my vehicles, and the truth is the truth, whether someone on an internet board believes it or not. There is a lot of variability in different vehicles and driving styles, even driving the same road.

I'd say that what I get with my CR-V "in town" on my commute is close to the highway rating for it, but it appears that nobody'd believe it anyway. That's cool. It's my own money I'm saving...

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Recently he owned a '04 Chevy Venture MiniVan w/3.4 L V6 @ over 4000lbs claiming to be getting 25 MPG city. IIRC, the EPA was 17 or 18 city/26 hwy.

Originally Posted By: The_Intimidator
The 3400 engine in the Venture is more than capable of 25 mpg city.

Oh.
Please.

It can get 25 MPG city if it's idling while being towed.

I have my doubts.
Haven't met (or read in a forum yet) anyone who says they can match Equinox 4cyl epa claims.

In fact, that's the biggest complaint I hear about the vehicle. Got 2 friends that own them, 1 a sr. driveability tech, the other a service manager. They know how to figure mpg.

I was averaging right around 30 mpg in rural highway and suburban driving in a 3700 lb Buick with the 3800 V6, and wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary. So far the Cruze is meeting its EPA highway numbers in the same driving.

It can indeed be done, and not look that different from a regular driver. Look at Wayne Gerdes as proof. Maybe your friend is channeling his inner hypermiler?

I realize that GM V6's do quite well with their MPG as do most of their engines. Look at the Vette! There is something that GM is doing with larger engines that the rest of the industry is missing and my buddys' driving technique is appearantly taking advantage of this. I don't think that he is FOS per/say but, maybe a bit inaccurate? As he is not a known liar nor is he known for exagerating unless he's trying to be funny. Ha-ha, ho-ho, he-he...Yeah buddy, that was funny...NOT!
wink.gif

Maybe too, he is score at all of us in our circle, raving so highly about our import vehicles, reliability, comfort, resale value & MPG that he is sick of it and this is his way of throwing in a few jabs. But, he is a good and trusting friend, always there for ya!

I must say that the Equinox is not only the nicest vehicle that he has owned but, it's really built well and quieter than any of our imports. Any!

Most people that I know, have no real idea of what the MPG is for their vehicles, never check it accurately and only go by..."well, I went this many miles on my trip OD and I still had a 1/4 tank".

When all they really know is...If they travel less miles to that same 1/4 tank, they got less MPG. Most have no clue!

Last edited:
As others have said here, calculations of mpg can be very subjective. IMO, the only way to get some kind of semi-accurate reading is multiple tank fills using miles driven over a period of time. Even then there is going to be some variation and a margin of error.

As for the instant dashboard computer readouts I now see frequently posted here, I'm highly skeptical of their accuracy, and they mean little to me when pics are posted of them.

All that said, I don't know if your friend is getting to mpg he claims. About the only way to tell if he is semi accurate with his calculation, is to take his vehicle(s) and drive them for a while yourself using fill/refill/miles calculations. Or, observe him as he fills his tank each time and uses the miles driven to determine the mpg. Since neither is likely to happen, based on what you've written, I'd have to take it with a grain of salt.

I had a short wheelbase 97 olds silhouette and got 24.5 city and 25-26 interstate going extralegal speeds (70-75) with AC on.

City of course is 35-50 mph country roads and stop signs and traffic lights that you're guaranteed to go in the first green cycle. Rarely use AC.

I nerd it up by cresting hills at 10 under the speed limit (get to be 15 over halfway down), slowing to 20 mph when there's a red ahead so I catch up to it when traffic starts moving, etc.

My volvo wagon is rated 17/20 under the new system, my first two tanks are 26.1 and 23.8, filled up at different stations.

It can be done if you keep your foot out of it and your tires pumped up and the skinny stock size (no bling).

Yeah, OK...

If you suffer and sweat (and demand the same of passengers) by not using the AC and keeping the windows up, refuse to use the defroster (and thus drive with impaired visibility), do loops to avoid braking, take curves at unsafe white-knuckle speeds and roll through stop signs (also to avoid braking); shut off the engine while driving, tailgate 18-wheelers (road rash and chipped windshields are cool!), tailgate other drivers dangerously to intimidate them into getting out of the way, and coast at speeds well below the speed limit, all to save fuel, you are an absolute, unmitigated idiot and a danger to us all. I don't care what your MPG is. While we're talking figures, what's your blood pressure? I bet mine's lower.

If you aren't doing those things, but simply "drive easy", you are not getting 30-50% better fuel economy than someone who has a non-defective vehicle who drives normally.

I get MPG figures that agree essentially exactly with EPA data (the new version of the EPA figures, that is). Wait--I know!--I have an 8-pound Schumacher jump starter in the trunk. That must be it!

I have never whitnessed him actually calculating the MPG for his vehicles after a fill up

There's your answer. If he doesn't calculate MPG, how does he determine what kind of mileage he is getting?

All I know is that my gas mileage spreadsheet for 2010 was around 25.5 mpg (I would have to check to be exact). This is for all the tanks combined, which included tanks ranging from 21mpg (I was moving lots of stuff in January=lots of short trip) to 37mpg highway trips to Montreal.

All in all, 25mpg is quite a shame to be honest from a small 4-cyl car, but given my daily commute in Greater Toronto Area, where even highways are at stand still in rush hour, my commute is about 30 mins long and when I factor in the winter mileage hit, I don't find it bad. And I know what my car is capable of on nice long highway trip. Also I have a pretty good reference point for other mpg claims and I can tell quite well who is trying to fudge the numbers a little and who is telling it like it is.

My father in law is one of those people who will ALWAYS better your mileage number.

Sometimes I just play with him. It's entertaining for a little while.

Along with doing my own car maintenance, I'm someone who keeps track of every gallon that goes in the tank from day one, and who could tell when my gas station switched to ethanol blended fuel by the calculated drop in city MPG. IMHO, most of your friends claims can't be accurate. Getting the EPA Hwy mileage in the city should be impossible. The most useful reason to have an accurate MPG history is to be alerted when something goes wrong in the engine by the drop in MPG. My '03 Focus wagon, 2.0L Zetec, 5sp manual trans, falls slightly short of the original EPA city specs, but I can beat the hwy spec with easy, level, interstate cruising at 65mph. Specs were 25/32. My MPG improved during the first 10K miles of driving, after new delivery.

Originally Posted By: glum
Recently he owned a '04 Chevy Venture MiniVan w/3.4 L V6 @ over 4000lbs claiming to be getting 25 MPG city. IIRC, the EPA was 17 or 18 city/26 hwy.

Originally Posted By: The_Intimidator
The 3400 engine in the Venture is more than capable of 25 mpg city.

Oh.
Please.

It can get 25 MPG city if it's idling while being towed.

My sisters Venture got over 30 on the highway all the time. Seen it myself 2-3 times. If your not getting good mpg on a Chevy v6 of this vintage your driving capabilities are in question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back