Best Inline-6 ever made?

Audi placed a diesel 6 in 200 series Volvos in the mid 80s.
My Speedo broke at 330k then we drove it for nine more years. Slow as the turtle Mr. Slowski, no turbo, but it was bullet proof. Manual trans. Don’t know the engine number, but it was something!

My votes go for the GM 250 ci standard as well as the overhead cam 250ci of the mid sixties, Chrysler slant sixes 170ci, 198ci and 225ci and the Volvo 2.9 Liter dual over head cam 24V from 1995-1998. The only reason I picked these engines is I knew people who've owned them or I have own them.

All the slant sixes went over 200K miles and the Volvo 2.9 liters are good for an easy 250K miles as long as you do your oil changes and timing belt changes as required. A buddy of mine had a Firebird with the overhead cam 250ci in college. He had over 120K miles on it and it still ran like a beast.

Audi placed a diesel 6 in 200 series Volvos in the mid 80s.
My Speedo broke at 330k then we drove it for nine more years. Slow as the turtle Mr. Slowski, no turbo, but it was bullet proof. Manual trans. Don’t know the engine number, but it was something!
I am not sure they were that reliable. I remember working on some of them. My friend also had 740 with that engine. Slow, and he had to fix head like 3 times. Generally, those diesels from 80's, with few exceptions were not that reliable.

Daimler OM603, Cummins 5.9, Ford 300.

Probably something from BMW. As much as I love my N55, and think it’s great from a driving perspective, I don’t know if the longevity will pan out. Same deal with the M engines... maybe one of the older ones?

I am not sure they were that reliable. I remember working on some of them. My friend also had 740 with that engine. Slow, and he had to fix head like 3 times. Generally, those diesels from 80's, with few exceptions were not that reliable.
D24 is the name. Used the VE pump like an old 12 valve cummins.

Driving one is almost as bad as an old MB 240D, complete torture. Turbo version is a little better

Ford 300. Need a truck that will pull anything but not exceed 45 mph? Need a motor to run an irrigation pump or industrial wood chipper? Need a power plant for an aircraft tugger or a gas engine dump truck? Then this is the engine for you! It will run forever with minimal maintenance but it will never turn very high rpm.

Honorable mentions, the Chrysler slant 6. I worked at a lumber yard that had one of these in a forklift. It was torquey and reliable.

The AMC 4.0, later models had head cracking issues but generally a very simple, reliable engine.

Ford 300. Need a truck that will pull anything but not exceed 45 mph? Need a motor to run an irrigation pump or industrial wood chipper? Need a power plant for an aircraft tugger or a gas engine dump truck? Then this is the engine for you! It will run forever with minimal maintenance but it will never turn very high rpm.
Nicely put. You aren't going to set any land speed records with it, or get great gas mileage, but they pull like a freight train, and last forever.

Ford 300 irrigation pump
1606509509824.jpg

Ford 300 Genset:
1606509536512.jpg

Ford 300 welder:
1606509586001.jpg

Ford 300 sidewalk plow:
1606509632991.jpg

Ford 300 marine engine:
1606509674662.jpg

They put that engine in everything.

D24 is the name. Used the VE pump like an old 12 valve cummins.

Driving one is almost as bad as an old MB 240D, complete torture. Turbo version is a little better
Yeah, this was in Europe, so power was acceptable for that time. But I remember when VW/Audi replaced that engine with 5cyl TDI. Holy moly what a rocked that was compared to D24.

I forgot about welders and generators. Was not aware they were used in marine applications. Have never seen a sidewalk plow like that but now I need one!

I forgot about welders and generators. Was not aware they were used in marine applications. Have never seen a sidewalk plow like that but now I need one!
They were in marine applications but the Chevy 250 IIRC was used a lot more. I still see a lot of Ford 300's on wood chippers around here.

Those plows were EVERYWHERE in Canada, I believe they were made by Bombardier. I know Peterborough had several, once they became unavailable they were replaced with the articulating ones with tires, which would get stuck, unlike those old monsters that would go through anything.

They were in marine applications but the Chevy 250 IIRC was used a lot more. I still see a lot of Ford 300's on wood chippers around here.
Yes, GM's always had favour in marine use. Ford has had some absolutely amazing marine engines over the years but they've never had the uptake and thus market share that the GM offerings enjoyed.

When we boat shop I always look for Ford stuff, as I greatly prefer it over GM. SBF's are extremely familiar to me, so they are typically my go-to.

Back