Your worst car decision ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not necessarily a purchase, but a failed service may be one of my top mistakes. The 2003 Protege5 I just purchased was tuned up by me at 90K miles.

Seems I didn't get the tube that bring the spark from the coil to the plug on cylinder 4 properly connected and seem to have damaged cylinder #4. The car is at my mechanic as I don't have the time or the experience to pull an engine, hone and/or bore it out, replace the bits that need replacing, rebuild the head, etc.

Ouch.

Seems cylinder #4 was pinging and then misfiring as it accumulated carbon. The plug gap was bridged with carbon when the check engine light started flashing. I replaced the messed up spark tube and the plug, but the damage was done. Burning a quart of oil every tank of fuel.

It was early in the ownership experience so I don't know if I got a bad engine, or I broke it trying to maintain it. I figure since I didn't observe oil consumption before the tune up and since the damage was only in cylinder #4, it was my mistake in servicing the car. I went back and forth in my head for a week or so wondering which mistake I made.

They think they may be able to hone it out as the scratches/scuffs in the wall are not deep. They were thinking valve guides due to start up smoke, so the head will be rebuilt anyway, but cylinder #4 will get some extra attention if it's still round, a new piston and new rings for all the cylinders while they are in there.

Pretty pricy tune up! DOH!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back