Your worst car decision ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the title suggest, curious if anyone else has that one memorable car purchase they later came to regret.

I'll volunteer to go first, and hope - as bad as this is to admit - that I'm not the only one who's ever had a bad case of buyer's remorse (pinch your nose, this is one is awful):

Mine happened when I was in need of a replacement DD and had no other transportation. I initially was looking to short term finance a $2,000 Mazda Protege that was an awesome buy at the price (I had to short-term finance because I didn't have 2k in throwaway cash at the time, as it was also a time when things were very tight economically - the interest rate was favorable though), and that I got word of through a friend of the seller.

Anyway the deal fell through when it went from 2k to 3k. Meanwhile the financing also ran into an unexpected delay, and I was getting increasingly impatient.

I saw a $500 '97 Protege on our equivalent of CL, which I could float with cash, called the seller and arranged a time to look at it.

First mistake: it was dark out, and the neighborhood poorly lit, but I looked it over anyway and didn't see anything amiss.

Second mistake: the owner stated the car was no longer insured, and couldn't be test driven; he did volunteer to take it for a short spin up the street, and I rode along in the passenger seat.

Third mistake: the car was second owner (at least) with no documentation and vague replies on its service history. Consistent throughout, I ignored my gut.

At this point my instinct is screaming pass, but I'm impatient by this point, and its $500 - how bad could it be? Besides that, I rationalized, even though I hadn't driven it, I'd looked it over and ridden along and nothing seemed amiss. So I paid the $500 and drove it away.

The next day, the light of day revealed the cancer I'd have seen if I looked at it during the day. Nothing terribly noticeable on the body, if you're not looking for it (or not looking at it in the light of day), but easily spotted when you are looking for it in daylight.

Here an inspection is mandatory and done by the buyer after the sale, before it can be registered and insured. This is where dishonest garages make a killing. I decided to go ahead and have it inspected anyway, then go from there.

I'd asked around and gotten a couple referrals to a shop owned by a good mechanic who I was told was honest. What the people who were making the referrals hadn't told me, because they didn't know and I didn't find out until much later, was that it had been bought out 6 months prior by a pair of the worst scam artists in the city. That was where the inspection was done.

At this point the financing had also come through, and when they came back with an estimate that was more than what I paid for the car, I didn't blink (4th mistake) - these guys were honest and did good work (or so I was unintentionally misled to believe). It was "nothing major" (the cancer) "just a few spots they could take care of", and all would be kosher after.

Having given the go ahead on an already bad decision, it got worse when the actual inspection & repair bill came back well over the initial estimate. They had a good explanation as to why, and though really kicking myself in the rear, I went ahead and paid it and drove it away.

Fifth mistake: first winter it sees I hit a piece of ice that ruptures the oil pan. No catastrophic oil loss, but the shop I take it to (different one this time) offers to band aid patch it for about $80, or replace it for $330. I opt on the latter (final mistake).

I take it home, can smell oil burning, and bring it back the next day. "Whoops! we used the wrong gaskets, fixed, no charge (of course)."

No more burning oil smell, but it continues to leak oil - unknown to me - and naturally this is worse at highway speeds when the oil is thinnest. Barely a week later on the highway the oil light flashes and a second later (before I could even react) the car throws a rod and the engine is toast. I check the oil and the stick is dry as a bone. Refill the sump and creep along on its still functional 3 remaining cylinders, billowing massive clouds of blue smoke behind me to the nearest garage where I have it sent to the crusher (no charge - my first break LOL).

I let haste over ride my gut instinct. Even after buying it I could have resold it and cut my losses (even if I got peanuts for it I'd have been better off than the course I opted for instead). From there it got worse: flush with cash from the financing intended for the original purchase, I spent a big chunk of it instead on the repairs to make it legal, and the second repair that ended it. The need to validate my decision to buy it as "the correct one," combined with a lot of other carp going on in my personal life at the time, led me to just throw money at it as my focus at the time was elsewhere.

I actually considered it a kind of relief when it bit the dust and I sent to the compactor. Even though I lost far too much treasure in the whole affair, I was sort of relieved to be rid of both the reminder and what I knew would be an ongoing PITA.

I thought it over after, realized the mistakes I made along the way (my only bad buy, but it really made for every good deal I'd ever nailed), chalked it up to lessons learned the hard way, and vowed to never repeat them.

That's one for the hall of shame I (sadly) doubt will be topped.

-Spyder

Last edited:
Hey, that Pontiac Phoenix was what I was going to add, only mine was new in 1980. I bought the 2.5L Iron Duke version, manual trans, and NO AC. What a dog, got so disillusioned with it after 4 months that I went in and ordered a V6 version with air and auto, then when it arrived had an epiphany, cancelled that, and bought a new Honda Accord.

It is a toss up 1996 Honda Accord or the 02 Jetta TDI. I could explain but I don't want to upset myself. Both were big piles of...Traded the Accord for a 1998 Z-28. Traded the Jetta for an 03 Cadillac CTS. Never looked back. Won't step on a VW lot ever again.

'85 golf auto. I was looking to replace my '86 GTI w/ a 2door and was into VW's so thought this would be good. found it nice and clean, REAL clean.
it was a reliability and maintenance nightmare. brake cylinders, CV joints, starters(to change the starter you had to drop the half shaft!), altenators, A/C never worked, slow as could be (85hp!) auto w/ NO overdrive, buzzed like crazy at highway speeds, and then only managed 25mpg on a good day.
my GTI would get close to 40mpg HWY!

2nd worst, '96 Mazda MPV 4WD.
pros: comfortable, solid feeling driver, monster in the snow, lots of room, HUGE sunroof.
cons: prone to oil leaks, prone to rust, overly complicated features (rear A/C, rear heat, auto leveling), underpowered, horrible MPG's, timing belt is an expensive repair.
this monster cost me over $3K in repairs in less than 2 years, not cool.

Wow, Spyder... that was pretty epic.

My worst car decision was to put an $800 cat-back exhaust on my base-model Chevy Cobalt (the one in my sig). I did this 3 years ago in college.

I enjoy working on the car, so it was fun to put on. And it's not one of the ricer ones you see on Civics... but that's all the good I can say about it. It was expensive, it's louder than stock, and now the resonator has a rattle that I don't feel like paying to fix.

Looking back, I'm not sure why I ever thought it was a good idea. Lesson learned, I guess.

Chevy S-10 Blazer 1988.

The engine (4.3L V6)was GREAT - basically just a short SB Chevy.

The auto tranny absolutely SUCKED. And the rest of the car was downhill from there. Too much to list. Best was the heater core nearly exploding in the car at around 25K miles. Around six years of abuse from the car ownership, I took two weeks to detail the car which included rough polishing the completely oxidized paint.....even replaced some of the broken dash parts....and sold the beast.

11.gif
19.gif

Late 80-s Grand Am with a Quad-4 engine. the car would rust in front of your eyes. It finally blew a head gasket and was sent to a junk yard.

I was bored and looking for a car project. Registration and title fees were going up Sept 1st and I was hoping to close a deal during the rest of August. Rushing was my first mistake.

Buying a Taurus was my second. Needed a rear strut. Ford uses a pinch bolt to hold it to the knuckle. Had a couple exposed, rusted threads. Snapped.

I couldn't get it out, so I got another knuckle. Junkyard tried giving me one for a wagon which was completely different.

I was impressed by the clean floor pan and stock brake lines, but missed a huge pile of rot under the plastic rocker covers.

Figuring a domestic car would have cheap parts, I was dismayed that the cheapest muffler was $60.

Chris142 warned me the radiator was an all day affair. I sold the car to a 17 year old girl who remarked the PRNDL arrangement was "just like the driver's ed car". I moved the car out of the way, gave her the key, took the plates off, and it started leaking. Had her give me back the key and I fixed the rad. It did in fact take me 6.5 hours like the book says. The plastic quick releases for the tranny cooler didn't work so I burned them out with a propane torch. Ford wants to kill their mechanics through bloodletting as evidenced by a PS cooler with unshielded square fins in the immediate vicinity.

It also needed a wheel bearing and the brakes squeaked for no reason. I bought the bearing before I bought my spindle, which came with a now extra bearing.
06.gif
At least a taurus rear wheel bearing is as easy to change as a light bulb: No pressing, one big nut and it's done.

In "good news" the tranny pan had a huge dent in it and didn't leak and in fact performed perfectly, as did the vulcan 3 liter engine. Peppy and mediocre on gas, 25 MPG. And it held the road quite well.

1974 VW Dasher automatic I purchased new during a gas crisis. Never ran good (carb not fuel injection) and still did not get very good milage. Very noisy at highways speeds. We got rid of a perfectly good olds Cutlass for that piece of junk.

We drove it for 4 years and got a buick wagon for the family car.

1997 BMW (Big Money Waster) 528i

* Horrific Euro-oriented shops and dealers.

* Vastly overpriced parts.

* Overheated more times than I can remember, for various reasons.

* If it was electrical, it broke.

wasn't the car's fault-- was MY fault--

had a 1993 jeep GC w 243,000 miles on it. I LOVED this car, favorite of all I've owned. But it was a weekly hassle. hoses. no heater. no a/c. leaky axle up front. grumbly axle in rear. AW4 trans was solid and it had the coveted 2Hi 4 Auto 4Hi 4Low T-case. Needed a new steering box mount. Overtightened head to slow the coolant loss... I loved this car, and if I was alone, would drive it across the state (passengers like A/C). BUT-- it needed R&R.

I needed $7k to have a rebuilt engine installed, fix the HVAC and axles and miscellaneous bits. That's a lot of cake for an old clunker.

Found an 02 S60 with 180,000 miles that drove like new except for a 1-2 shift flare. Had scratches and scrapes and a little plastic rash. But everything worked, nothing leaked, and it was $6800. No other S60 came close for the condition.

In 2 days, that heavy steering had my chronic wrist condition on fire. In 4, I could hardly drive the car. Found that loading/unloading music gear into that large, but odd, trunk was a real problem. I offered to sell it back to the dealer and pay them cash for the time/inconvenience. They would't budge. I was willing to eat $1k just to reverse the deal. Nope. They'd already auctioned the jeep. Not sure I believed them.

Had it appraised locally. $2K. I test drove ~12 cars at carmax that day, but $2k made me barf. Dealer next door appraised the same. With wrists really hurting, I went down the road to the jeep dealer. Let's find another used one...

Jeep Dealer didn't have any used models that were suitable (light steering), but was willing to sell me a new GC (light steering!!!) at %75 sticker, and double the volvo trade to $4k. I didn't hand him the keys, I sailed them in a graceful arc across the store to his palm. Done deal.

Maybe this worked out for the best, as the current 2wd GC does everything i need and doesn't require weekly oil and coolant. But, if I'd dropped that $7k into the old one, I'd be 14k richer with a 4wd ride I really enjoyed.

M

I've had several bad car decisions but only one can be the worst: As a joke on my wife at eBay I placed the first bid equal to the opening amount on an 18 month old Trans Am WS6 with 9500 miles located 1,500 miles from home. The joke was on me as nobody else bid and I won the auction. Flew over and drove the car back. Then after 2 years of sky-high insurance premiums, high octane gasoline purchases, and complaints from the family I traded it in.

I also had experience with S10 Blazers (91,94,97). The 4.3's were like anvils...they would not break. But everything else did (suspension, driveline, heater cores, etc, etc). They rusted out in MI winters like late 1950 Chrysler products did. Nothing drove me into the Ford camp like this trio did. They were so bad they made my 2001 Explorer almost seem like it was reliable (was not but not as bad as the S10s).

Well Spyder, I think you learned so many hard lessons with that car that you've come out way ahead on the deal! It would take some of us 3 or 4 bad purchases to get that much experience.

1994. Got my license, was desparate to get my own car, and prove I could do it w/o anyone's help.

Without going into detail, I've always liked 'boxy', formal looking cars, and had a thing for mid-1980's GM J-bodies, so I wanted a Buick Skyhawk, bad.

I'd heard stories about people buying older cars cheap, and keeping them going with minimal upkeep, so that's what I was going to do. Found a 1985 Buick Skyhawk 4-door with 65k miles on near home for $1200 as is.

It was owned by the guys mom, so it was 'babied by grandma', and was in good shape. Went for a test drive...and the steering was stiff - 'oh, it's just a bit stiff when cold, it loosens up when it warms up'....bought that line, and the car.

Everything that could wear out on that car, did. Started with the steering rack 1 week after purchase..and continued - heater core, rad, brakes, wheel bearings...I DID NOT want to admit I had made a bad decision with the car, so I quietly took it to Canadian Tire for all the repairs - $4k in less than two years.

When I finally ditched the cars 2 years later, the muffler was gone again, the seats were shot, brakes were bad, needed tires...whell bearings....I got $300 for a trade in at a small lot where I replaced it with a 1986 Honda Civic. Was the last domestic I owned for over 10 years.

There were SO many better cars I saw that I could have gotten if I was willing to spend a bit more money...it still bugs me a bit.

Ironically, after 3 imports, the domestic I went back to was another J-body, my 2002 Cavalier. But it was a MUCH better car.

NOT MY PURCHASE, BUT WHEN MY MOTHER'S '78 IMPALA WAGON HAD ITS TRANSMISSION GO, MY UNCLE BOUGHT HER A BRAND NEW '88 YUGO GV. WHAT A TURD. IT DIED AT 56K AND GOT DONATED TO A VOCATIONAL SCHOOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back