The dangers of a long beard.

The real fun begins when messing around with a smoke wrench or welding.

Once my facial hair gets to 10mm it starts to really irritate me so I have to get shot of it.

It used to irritate my Wife that I didn't wear my wedding ring to work. But as an electrician I was always worried that it would cause injury. Then I got off the tools and got fat so it doesn't fit any more anyway :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
When I was first starting out I saw a guy burn his finger to the bone when the ring hit a battery cable the right way after seeing that I never wore any rings, watches, loose clothing or beard when working, when it happens it happens quick.

Metal watch bands are a hazard as well. Co worker welded some links in his together. He now has a nifty scar and story to tell how hazardous things can get working around a car battery with a wrench.
Wise people learn from the mistakes of others.

If I grew a beard it would be too patchy.... As if I was still a teenager. But I have waist-length hair and it stays up and (usually) under a hat if I'm working on the car or any kind of equipment. Even a car engine that isn't running has lots of little sharp things that like to snag hair.

Badge lanyard scared me the same way. I’m often asked to go outside and help with a problem in the parking lot. Have already been asked to jump a car off tomorrow that one of my bosses left behind with a no-start problem.
If your lanyard doesn't have a breakaway connector, that should be raised as an OH&S issue.

I usually just have stubble, but I can see how a long beard could be dangerous with equipment and moving parts. I've had a similar scenario happen when I was wearing a sweatshirt/hoodie with the long strings for the hood.

I am an ex nerd. Shaved daily and pocket protectors and wrist watch and a tie. Dress code at work and pocket protectors made life easier cause when you put it in your pocket you had all the essentials. Oh yea, I also had the belt mounted cell phone.
nerd-homer-simpson.gif

I was inspecting my car while it was running and noticed my beard (about 10 inches long) getting close to the pullies. I instantly pulled back and realized having a beard can be a problem when working on cars. Has anyone here ever had to take precaution due to facial hair or decided to forsake facial hair due to working on vehicles?

I found the beard annoying. If I was a full time mechanic, I would never sport a beard. I don’t know how the humble mechanic does it.
So, your avatar…not a self-portrait? 😏

Some places don't allow facial hair Jeremy's. In food service or healthcare I think its easier just to be clean shaved. I coukd never grow a beard and after 3 days i am miserable with the itching. I shave every other day using Proraso. I get the brush out and all. If I had more time I would use the straight razor and waste a whole hour. Finally down to my last Harry's cartridges and then it's on to Jeremys.

Rings on the finger are dangerous as well.
Years ago, a mechanic I used told me a story. He used to be a large truck mechanic. One of his co-workers was just finishing up some engine work on a Mack truck. While standing on the front bumper, he grabbed the bulldog to close the engine cover and jumped off. Unfortunately, the ear of the dog had wedged itself under the guys wedding ring. When he jumped, the ring, and the finger, remained attached to the dog. Ever since, no rings for me and depending on what I'm doing, I may take off my watch as well.

Years ago, a mechanic I used told me a story. He used to be a large truck mechanic. One of his co-workers was just finishing up some engine work on a Mack truck. While standing on the front bumper, he grabbed the bulldog to close the engine cover and jumped off. Unfortunately, the ear of the dog had wedged itself under the guys wedding ring. When he jumped, the ring, and the finger, remained attached to the dog. Ever since, no rings for me and depending on what I'm doing, I may take off my watch as well.
One of the late night TV hosts degloved his finger with his wedding ring on a kitchen cabinet. I think it was Jimmy Kimmel. I exchanged my actual wedding ring for one of those silicone bands but I stopped wearing it because it trapped moisture and gave me a rash.

Back