Do You Ever Keep Up With Your Old Car?

Dad did with his Grand Cherokee Orvis he bought new back in the day. The guy kept it for 10 years about after dad sold it to him which would’ve been around 2011 or so.

I ran into dads 2001 Z71 Tahoe while I worked at Oreilly. The guy didn’t believe me, but I told him a drink holder in the back had a missing tab and sure enough, it did. They weren’t the cleanest of humans so it was very sad seeing it in such a poor state.

I don't really keep track per se but when I lived in a small town I would see my old vehicles once in awhile. I had a 1978 F-150 that was really out of my scope in high school as I didn't have the mechanical skills or the money to keep up with it. I had a lot of trouble with it and the carburetor caught fire and ended up leaving it at a gas station for a couple weeks. They had it towed understandably and it was sold off by the city as it wasn't registered to me (someone had scratched out a line on the title so I couldn't). I saw that truck driving around a couple months later and seemed like it was running good so I'm glad someone got some use out of it!

On the flip side, I sold a 1988 Town car back in 2006 or so and was surprised to see it on the side of the road a few weeks later. I contacted the lady that bought it and she said the transmission went out, felt pretty bad about that just weird timing.

picture disappeared (photo bucket) however our 2005 Legacy GT(flat 4 turbo) wagon with manual sold at 225k in 2018 became an ice racing car.

No. I get attached to my vehicles and I prefer to not know where they end up or what has been done to them.
a-square-of-metal-formed-from-a-car-that-has-been-put-through-a-car-GGD1AC.jpg

I keep mine so long there's usually little to no additional service life left in them.

A couple got scrapped due to severe rust. Another got scrapped after a kid T-boned me. My old S-10 pickup is safe with my brother in Colorado, away from the salty Midwest, so it'll be around awhile. My old CJ-7 is kind of an exception; it disappeared after I traded it in.

A friend of mine had a Bronco II, like about an '88 or so. It totally nickel-and-dimed him all the time, requiring repairs big and small almost weekly. He got stranded on road trips due to a bad fuel pump, a bad transmission, and a bad axle or driveshaft (I don't remember which). It burned oil and left a cloud of blue smoke. He traded it in and for years afterward, I'd see it around town, still blowing smoke but pushing on year after year with its new owner. Maybe my friend worked out all the bugs before he traded it away?

Nope. Don’t think I’ve ever seen after flipping, they just disappear. And other than a passing moment or two, no interest in what happened to them—I got rid of them for a reason, it was time to move on.

Ha. The FOR SALE sign in Sis' 1999 XJ (Jeep Cherokee Sport) black/grey cloth drew a neighbor's (3.5 mi. away) attention.
...a daughter going off to college....her mom had an earlier XJ.....her dad's late brother was in a good pal's scout troupe....
Almost family they were.

Since they lived on an oft used parallel route between said sister's and my home, I'd swing by and see how it was aging.
Sure enough, it was only around during school breaks. The new owner had an outdoorsy boyfriend who put a correctly sized basket rack on the roof which looked great.
Alas, the rear hatch was covered with so many stickers I could never bring myself to read even one of them.

I can tell you my largest patch of bodywork, an odd oval of collapsed metal beneath the beltline of the RF door -14" x 3.5"- stayed undetectable over the years. Seriously, a huge oval of sheet metal simply vanished. It was not a former repair. It had to have been some kind of 'thin spot' or void in the metal.

I'd take that road today being it's Thanksgiving, but I haven't seen the vehicle in 4 years easy, I'm sure it's soup cans by now.
That Jeep got exceptional care. The non-metallic paint shone. It pleased me to see my sister drive it.
The youngster had it from Summer 2012 (171K) to ????

The only new car I ever bought was way back in 1994. A red Toyota Camry Coupe LE.

I had it for 12 years and 235,000 miles.

When I sold it, the next owner took great care of it as well. All was well in the world until...

The owner who had it after him rolled back the odometer... a solid 200,000 miles.

From 283,000 miles to 83,000 miles.

29 years from the day I bought it new, and probably close to 400,000 genuine miles later that Toyota Camry is still on the road. I'm hoping it hits the big 3-0 and 400k mark. I may even make a trip out to South Georgia by September of next year.

Have you ever kept track of your daily driver after selling it?
I'm still curious about the Pontiac Vibe that I had. It was hit the was sold via iaai auction. The odd part was in the listing it said "For export:yes" meaning I take it that a foreign buyer bought it.

I have kept up with vehicles a few times.

Two trucks - one sold to a friend and one gifted to a family member. One was totaled and scraped. The other I lost touch with the friend after a few years so don’t know what happened to it.

The longest is a ‘94 Honda Civic with the 1.5L and 5MT (I was the second or third owner) which was gifted to a family member who then sold it a friend who lives in the same town. She says she still sees it putting around town periodically. Original engine and two transmissions rebuilds. Still going strong to this day. No clue on the mileage anymore. And it is a “classic car” now lol.

I drive mine until I can't stand the sight of the rust. usually a long time before I can see any from the drivers seat. My Accent has had quite a bit of work, front suspension and clutch, AC. But it's pretty easy to work on. It was easer to take the motor out than change the clutch in the car.

The only one I still know of is my 2002 Camry. I sold it to a mechanic friend of mine and his teenage son is driving it now.

The only new car I ever bought was way back in 1994. A red Toyota Camry Coupe LE.

I had it for 12 years and 235,000 miles.

When I sold it, the next owner took great care of it as well. All was well in the world until...

The owner who had it after him rolled back the odometer... a solid 200,000 miles.

From 283,000 miles to 83,000 miles.

29 years from the day I bought it new, and probably close to 400,000 genuine miles later that Toyota Camry is still on the road. I'm hoping it hits the big 3-0 and 400k mark. I may even make a trip out to South Georgia by September of next year.

Have you ever kept track of your daily driver after selling it?
We have a 2003 Ford Taurus and we keep up everything on it not missing anything.
It runs as good now if not better at 152,000 miles as it did new. We wouldn't be scared at all to drive it coast to coast and not break a sweat. Got a paint problem on the trunk but, mechanically it is in tip top shape.

drive it coast to coast.

I had a Ranger pickup that I got cheap with a miss from my brother-in-law. I fixed the miss with new spark plugs (the only time plugs ever did anything for me). Drove it a while and it got the hood crunched when a loose wheel hopped the median on the freeway. So I found a black primer hood and replaced the broken radiator and condenser and IACV. It was always a third car for us. But when my oldest got to driving age, I decided I wanted a Ranger with a nice interior and an air bag, as well as the economy of the four-cylinder, so I sold this one.

After I sold it, I saw it relisted for a bit higher price, although I think it had new tires. Then I noticed it parked on the side of the highway on two separate occasions. Not long later, I found it in the local Pick-n-pull with some body damage to the rear. I think it only lasted about 10k miles with the new owners, but they were eventful miles!

I drive mine until I can't stand the sight of the rust. usually a long time before I can see any from the drivers seat. My Accent has had quite a bit of work, front suspension and clutch, AC. But it's pretty easy to work on. It was easer to take the motor out than change the clutch in the car.
What year is it?

2000 mustang GT ordered for me new by my grandfather for my 21st birthday .......took delivery with the plastics and build stickers on it April 2000
I have never felt more proud or nostalgic than that day standing there with my grandfather it bring a tear to my eye now to think back
Garage kept spotless clean on the bottom as it was on the top side
I had 100% intentions on giving it to my son when he turned 16 this year

My Ex wife was dead set on financial destruction nothing more nothing less in the divorce......I tried with every fiber of my being to hold onto the car as it was my property before the marriage but she saw to it I was forced to sell for cash basically taking it from her own son

A guy came down from Virginia with a car hauler and I drove it up on there with 12k miles on it window stickers build sheets original order form all went with it .....I specifically brushed off local offers because seeing it around would be a real gut punch

Back