Ever do a tune-up you didn't need?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody ever do a tune up they didn't need? I did yesterday. It was nice and warm outside and I had work on the car fever.

I changed;

Oil- Went 300 miles past the change oil soon light.I didn't care. P.U./havoline deposit shield. Planned on taking it another 500 miles but my time will be taken up for a while to come. Went back to dino. Synthetic just not cost effective for me when I lose 1qt per 2k miles.

Spark plugs-The old ones were fine. Copper though, I changed them out with NGK platinum plugs and will not change them out again.

Spark plug wires-Did it because the last time I changed them out was when I first got the car 65k miles ago. The were fine. Duralast wires are good in my experience and only $20

Fuel filter- Changed it because I want my fuel pump to last for a long time. 3 years since last change. I cried when clear gas came out. on a slight tint of brown when the last bit came out.

Air filter- Ignored, changing out at 12k is a gimmick to me, and my manual say 30k, I'm ignoring that too as the filter still looks pretty clean. 3 years since last change.

Thermostat-Changed today Car seems to be running warmer. Goes up too 215 degrees, then goes to 202 degrees at idle. 195 degree thermostat. Has me perplexed. Normal readings at idle is around 205 max in the summer time. Plus it has a heavy duty radiator. New thermostat did nothing. Maybe it's the platinum spark plugs? I'm perplexed. 187 to 192 degrees on the interstate or steady driving.

I've come to the conclusion that sometimes we do tune-ups to show we care about a cars. It has a feel good factor. Made my wallet a little lighter also. but $70 isn't to bad.

I could have went minimum, another year without a tune-up. Trying to be more balance about putting money in my car. I've had it close to 5 years and it has 173k on it. I'm in the I want a new(used) car mode but I like not having a car note.

The correct time to do a tune-up is before you need it and NOT after. I have never gone wrong following the manufactures recomendation or a little before.

I change my spark plugs all the time. Mainly with the seasons. Summer time: 2 heat range colder. Winter: stock heat range. I use cheap Autolite copper so $10 every few seasons is good. I can usually get a couple years out of a set. If they look good, I keep them and reuse later.

every time i buy a used vehicle. I got through the thing with a fine tooth comb and basically make it new again. Since i buy a used car on average every 5 months im losing my butt. But the next owner is gonna be good for a long time. Ive always said i wish i could buy a car from a bitoger, but that wouldnt leave me a hobby.

In short....no. Too much effort and cost for no gains in performance. I will admit to tinkering with an engine for no reason at all though,boredom possibly.

Last edited:
Yes, I have occasionally done plugs and wires when they were not specifically needed. My Mom's old Saturn has new plugs, wires, and coil packs as of MAYBE 10k ago. I just considered it old, a 1994 with 86k. Age does get to wires and stuff.

I used to do tune-ups every 20-25k on the Saturn whether it needed them or not.

On the Nissan, replacing the plugs would take 3-4 hours of labor due to the huge VQ35 engine that is mounted transversely. Manifold removal is required to get to the rear plugs, so I doubt I'll be touching those more often than needed.

Whilst I tend to follow the severe service schedule most of the time, and both my cars are easy to work on in this regard, I keep an eye out on parts that I do need for tune ups. If they are on sale, I buy them there and then and keep them for the tune up when it is due.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back