Your worst car decision ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The worst car decision I made was buying an 87 corolla with 130kish miles in 1997. I was 20 yrs old at the time and I just totalled my 94 ford ranger. So I needed a vehicle quick for work/college, my dad had to take me around to test drive used cars and he put alot of pressure on me to buy right away. because he was also driving me to college 3 to 4 days a week, so he was mad about that that it was an inconvenience. but anyway, I bought from an old lady selling from an apartment complex. She told me the 87 corolla was $2000 firm as the asking price. My dad wouldn't let me take the car on the roads b/c of fear of an accident, so I drove it around the apt parking lot. I ended up getting a $2000 cash advance off of my credit card to buy it, I should have known the old lady was scamming me, she had one of those used car dealer forms based out of Arkansas. This was in Memphis, TN. So she was selling used cars from her apartment.

Well, the car was abused pretty badly. The carburetor kept dying, the headgasket blew, brakes/rotors were in bad condition, and the engine burned oil like crazy. I couldn't keep up with how much oil that engine used and the engine started knocking one day. I ended up junking that car. I got 2.5 years of use out of it. what a waste of money. But I learned alot from that heap, never buy a car under pressure and never listen to my dad about cars.

Frankly it was my first... a 1971 Ford Pinto 2.1L.

But it was also a great learning platform too.

Despite the body dissolving into rust before your eyes, I will say that it was a great platform to learn how to tune an engine (every other week wouldn't have been too often) with a timing light, check and clean points, change and gap the very accessible plugs and whatever else you cared to fidget with.

I burned out the clutch early on, but never changed it - and it kept on movin' down the road just fine. Always started in the worst weather - and was a blast pushing out of snowbanks and the like. Back in those days, I could keep up with it as I ran along side of it, trying to push it out into the street with it in 1st gear.
grin2.gif
Can't do that anymore!

Sold it just before the exploding gas tank story broke.

Originally Posted By: expat
Originally Posted By: Spyder7
Originally Posted By: Spazdog
Originally Posted By: spackard
By the way, a friend-of-a-friend owned a '79 Chevy Chevette and a friend owned a 1978 VW Rabbit diesel. I'm pretty sure the Rabbit diesel was faster.
One time the two of us who rode in the back seat of the Chevette got sick, almost blacked out, and lost our dinner. It had a bad exhaust leak. Couldn't convince the foaf we weren't joking about this, because, honestly, we teased him a lot about the car. I think he finally got it fixed when his mom almost passed out and lost her lunch riding in the back seat.

IIRC, you couldn't turn off the blower motor on the Chevette. It had a "Constant ventilation system"
crackmeup2.gif
You also couldn't select "bi-level" on the HVAC control. Your feet or your windshield froze. Couldn't keep both thawed at the same time.

I recall that little "feature" well. Defrost or heat - take your pick. You could either opt to drive blind or hope you didn't die of hypothermia before reaching your destination.

-Spyder

Ah yes, I remember that as just one of my gripes with the Chevy truck, the fan developed a whine (weee weee weee) but I could not turn the darn thing off.

I think it was designed as such to prevent the passengers from asphyxiating on exhaust fumes.
Like GM just said, "We're not going to bother making a good exhaust system, We'll just take the "off" position on the blower motor out."

I think it was designed as such to prevent the passengers from asphyxiating on exhaust fumes.
Like GM just said, "We're not going to bother making a good exhaust system, We'll just take the "off" position on the blower motor out."

Those very "features" of how the HVAC system was designed, ironically, led me later to pay a lot more attention to details I'd probably not notice otherwise - HVAC being among them.

Nothing ground breaking about the HVAC system in my 2000 Corolla, but its functionality combined with simplicity of operation are one those little details that add up to why I love the car. A five point defrost/heat system, dial on the cold-hot system with about a dozen (slightly) audible clicks on each turn through the range, and just the way its laid out.

Nothing rocket science, but its a consistency of simplicity and functionality seen throughout the car from its clean exterior lines (my preference in exterior styling is the one this car conforms closely to), roomy interior (I've sat on both sides of the cockpit in many cars having the same footprint, and none of them have matched it for elbow room etc - though I haven't sat in everything out there, so I don't mean this as a blanket statement), clean engine layout that is very DIY friendly, consistent and predictable handling, comfortable seats, and on it goes.

Toyota gets a bad rap here, with many not understanding why the Corolla (and its platform twins) and Camry are as popular as they are, but for me its mainly the consistency in combining form and functionality to deliver a reliable, comfortable car that can pull its weight through whatever our harsh and unpredictable seasons throw at it, while getting good mileage and being easy to do regular maintenance on myself. Pretty much the antithesis to my first hand me down car I owned, and why I like it so much.

Nothing flashy, nothing special, just a DD that gets the job done and is comfortable to drive and easy to maintain, and that I never worry about stranding me or not starting, both of which tend to occur at the worst possible time (Murphy's Law). Which is about all that I ask of a DD.

-Spyder

Last edited:
I'm not singling out GM. But the Chevette was just that bad.

It's like GM said, "Oh, you want a cheap car? We'll give you a cheap car."

The funniest (and saddest) was the Chevette Scooter. No carpet. No backseat. They even left off the glovebox door

After years of just owning a motorcycle, my boss told me that if I wanted a promotion, I had to have a car. A manager needed to have a car. I got an '83 Oldsmobile 98 Regency. To me the car was terrible. It didn't just hit a bump and then it was over like the cars I had before it. It wallowed in the bump. The seat had no side bolster or thigh support. The chrome plated polystyrene switchgear was fragile...particularly the window switches. The heater control valve crumbled into the manifold and the 307 was grossly underpowered for this large of a car and got terrible mileage.
But I can see why many would like this car. The seat was like a big couch with soft pillows on it. You could hear the impact of big bumps and the car would wallow around for a second but you didn't feel the sharp impact. Heater control valve? Didn't have to take the dash apart to replace it. 307? it is bigger than a 260 . The pale grey paint took a really nice shine in spite of years in the Texas sun. The switchgear? Okay, That was still [excrement]. And finally, with the Cadillacs going to the 4100, it was a better Cadillac than the Cadillacs.

OH! and it had a bi-level heat setting!

But the Chevette? I cannot see any reason anyone would like this car.

1998 Audi A4 - hands down the most repairs of any of my cars COMBINED.

- Wheel bearings every 2 months (like clockwork)
- Head gasket leaks onto timing belts and snaps
- Turbo $$$$
- Squeeks and rattles (mostly bushings + suspension)
- Dashboard LCD info center bugged out
- ABS and Airbag light never went off

I sold the car 5 years ago and to this day I get class action lawsuit notices and recalls notices.

looked nice, drove nice but was not worth the worry of wondering when it would leave me stranded next

I'm not singling out GM. But the Chevette was just that bad.

My response as to what I thought GM were stating to the consumer, when they put out that particular model, would earn me a holiday. It would also likely hijack my own thread.

As I desire neither, I'll just state that it left a lasting impression on me and leave it at that.

-Spyder

Regretted selling the first car I bought, brand new 1995 Acura Integra GSR. I wasn't into modding cars and liked it the way it was. Superb handling, great braking, slick 5speed tranny and what did I do?? Sold it for a civic hatchback because I wanted better gas mileage. What a mistake, the integra wasn't bad and was 1000 times more fun to drive. Wish I could go back in time......

2003 Saturn Ion 3 Sold it with 30K miles at a $3K loss. In the first year I had the dash lights go out, the radio lights flicker, 4 radios replaced, turn signal went out. Two years later the nail in the coffin was the cpu went crazy and the car started accelerating by itself with no foot on the pedal. It was the scariest thing that ever happened to me. It was $21K new and depreciated to $8K in 2 and a half years.

I misunderstood this thread. It seems "Your worst car decision ever" is actually "Your worst car purchase decision ever."

My worst car purchase decision ever was a 1989 Honda Civic LX 4-door 5-speed. Drove it for 149K miles over almost 10 years. No ABS, no air bags, etc. The engine was so underpowered that I had to turn off the AC when going uphill and when accelerating. The rear doors and trunk didn't stay open by themselves and they'd slam shut when parked on an incline or with the slightest breeze. The radio failed twice. The exhaust system rusted out regularly every 30K miles - replaced it 4 times. The timing belt changes were wicked expensive (every 60K miles). I sold it before shelling out hundreds for the next timing belt change, as rust began appearing around the fenders, as the exhaust was getting louder, and as the AC wasn't cooling as well as in the past. At the time of purchase fuel economy was competitive in the low to mid 30 MPGs, but less than 5 years later similar cars from others were around 40 MPG - and cost less to purchase, had more options, had more safety features, had engine steel timing chains, had stainless steel exhaust systems, and getting rust around the fenders (or door dings) was impossible. There was more about that car I'm forgetting as its been over 10 years since I happily signed the back of the title over to the next owner.

But the Chevette? I cannot see any reason anyone would like this car.

I drove a four-door automatic '86 Chevette for a couple of years, and I liked it. But probably only because I didn't have much experience driving anything else and it was the first vehicle that I drove regularly that had a half-decent stereo (my first car stereo project, all Clarion). It was clean, in good condition, and reliable. It even had all four relatively undamaged chrome wheel trim rings and the center caps. It seemed fine on the highway at 80 mph. We had an extra set of studded winter tires, so it was a lot of fun in winter. I remember the steering and chassis being very communicative compared to bigger vehicles. It was a vehicle that my father bought for cheap, kept a couple of years, and then sold for profit; the usual vehicle situation in our household. He had a 1980 Suburban that was his own daily driver for 15 years, but the rest of us used whatever else he brought home.

After he got rid of that Chevette, he bought another basic two door version that didn't have power brakes or power steering. I never drove that one, and I don't think anyone else in the family ever did either. He didn't keep it for more than a few weeks. I remember him describing the brakes as "dangerous" so he added the power brake system from a junkyard Chevette before selling it. He didn't think anybody should be driving it the way it was. My buddy had a similar junky, basic Chevette at the time. The one time I drove it I joked that we should have a brick on a chain to throw out the window to improve its braking ability. It was easy enough to lock up the brakes on the four-door version we had.

Originally Posted By: David S.
I misunderstood this thread. It seems "Your worst car decision ever" is actually "Your worst car purchase decision ever."

I debated whether or not to word it that way. I opted for the wording I chose to allow the topic a broader scope. It just happened that my worst car decision and purchase were one and the same.

-Spyder

Originally Posted By: rpn453

... My buddy had a similar junky, basic Chevette at the time. The one time I drove it I joked that we should have a brick on a chain to throw out the window to improve its braking ability. ...

Just turn the A/C to "MAX". That effectively stops all forward progress.
lol.gif

I gotta toss another one in here - the Chevette discussion reminded me!

My step-father is a huge fan of large American sedans...basically thinks that's the only type of vehicles there should be because "thats just whats safe and comfortable."

In the 1970's he had a 1974 Buick Century 4-door, and followed that up with a 1976 Pontiac Parisienne 4-door, both with 350 V-8's. He loved them both, but the Parisienne was his favourite, by far. He can go on into the night about what a great car it was.

1980 rolls around, and with the revolution in Iran, gas prices shoot up, and conservation is on everyone's mind. This gets to him, and he thinks the responsible thing to do is get a smaller, more fuel-effecient vehicle.

Now, having come from huge sedans, you'sd think a sensible move down would be to a smaller Pontiac Lemans, or even the new FWD Pheonix. But, no, my step-father figures if you're going to go small, go all the way, so he buys a brand-new 1981 Pontiac Acadian Scooter. Yup, from a '76 Parisienne to a Chevette clone.

Guess what? He hated the car! But, instead of blaming his choice of going down to a too-small car, he still uses this incident as 'proof' that small cars are bad - they are all 'slow and dangerous'!

He ditched the Acadian after about 4 years for a 10-year old 1975 Plymouth Duster with a slant-6.....that car was a whole 'nother story....but I still find the 'transition' he made in 1981 hilarious....LOL!

AFAIK, the 'T1000' was a version of the Acadian - I think the T1000 was the 'Scooter' version of the Acadian - the de-contented version.

Or, was the Acadian the Canadian version of the Pontiac T-car; and the US version was called the T1000? I think that's it, but I'm not sure....

My step-fathers was just an Acadian, I remember that. It had an automatic transmission, and a cloth interior, so it wasn't a complete stripper.

I dated a girl with a Pontiac T1000 right after high school. It was probably only a couple years old then. It was the 2 door and was doo-doo brown.

I don't remember much about the car, but I sure do remember some of the things we did in it with the back seat folded down
blush.gif

Just turn the A/C to "MAX". That effectively stops all forward progress.
lol.gif

I don't doubt it, but that one didn't even have power brakes or power steering. There's no way it had A/C!

The four door I spoke of may have had A/C, but I don't remember using it. It's not something I use in the city, and I only remember ever having that car on the highway in winter for driving to hockey tournaments.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
AFAIK, the 'T1000' was a version of the Acadian - I think the T1000 was the 'Scooter' version of the Acadian - the de-contented version.

Or, was the Acadian the Canadian version of the Pontiac T-car; and the US version was called the T1000? I think that's it, but I'm not sure....

My step-fathers was just an Acadian, I remember that. It had an automatic transmission, and a cloth interior, so it wasn't a complete stripper.

The Acadian was the Pontiac branded Chevette that they sold under that name here in Canada. I had the opportunity to compare it next to Chevettes (I had the Acadian) and beyond the badging, I couldn't find a single difference anywhere.

The Chevette soon took on a popular nickname that many adopted as an apt play on its own, calling it the Chevy Shove-it.
laugh.gif

-Spyder

The Chevette is right up there with the Vega as two of the Generals worst cars out of Detroit. I`m SUUUURE they would sooner forget these things,rather than keep their memory alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back