new Topic: killer albums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spawned from an idea about the 80's topic.

Name if you can, albums that 'made' a band. an album that could do no wrong and survives today.

(for example is anyone REALLY gonna be requesting Lady Gaga 40 years from now like they do Stairway? Most people reading this parents were babies when it came out....)

Ill start: AC/DC Back in Black. Here is perhaps the ONLY album ever where every cut gained single airplay on mainstream and AOR radio. Not a single bad tune.

Huey Lewis: Sports. #2 in all time top of the list only to MJs thriller. Aside from the borrowed cut 'honkey tonk Blues' this album was not the news' first, or last, but clearly the best

And this brings us to the #3 alltime top list album: ZZTop Eliminator. the band hit it nationwide with delguello and then hit a low point with El Loco, only to come back with this. It even got them a presidential nomination.

Others? (I could go on all dya but I have a couple thousand titles to choose from in my personal collection)

Rush....Moving Pictures.
Pink Floyd.....Dark Side of the Moon.
The Cars....Shake it up.
Fleetwood Mac....Rumors
Micheal Jackson.....Off The Wall
Dire Straits.....Brothers In Arms
Def Leppard.....Hysteria

Boston's 1st Album.

I have it in Half-Speed Mastered that was only played once.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
Rush....Moving Pictures.
Pink Floyd.....Dark Side of the Moon.
The Cars....Shake it up.
Fleetwood Mac....Rumors
Micheal Jackson.....Off The Wall
Dire Straits.....Brothers In Arms
Def Leppard.....Hysteria

can't agree w/ 'shake it up'; it does not compare w/ the 1st album and the 2nd album, Candy-O.

Probably many Beatles albums, The White Album is pretty rocking.

Agree on the AC/DC and IIRC "Back in Black" was the best selling of all time record.

Eliminator? Can't agree..ZZ Top was zzzzzz zzzzzz sorry I fell asleep by then. Tres Hombres or even Dueguello was killer though.

They could have called Eliminator "Regurgitator." They weren't playing music by then, they were producing a formula.

Guns & Roses, Appetite for Destruction. Most people hardly remember anything else they did except November Rain, You Could be Mine, and their Live and Let Die cover.

Metallica's black album certainly netted them a level of commercial success they hadn't seen until then, but make no mistake their legacy is of thrash from the Kill 'em All and Ride the Lightning albums.

jeff

Originally Posted By: cwing6
U2 The Joshua Tree

U2 "War"

This was the album that launched them, at least on college campuses across the country. The day I heard "Sunday Bloody Sunday" on the radio, I went out and bought "Boy", "October" and "War"...although I do agree "The Joshua Tree" is arguably their best effort to date.

Originally Posted By: mongo161
IMO....The "Allman Brothers Band - Live at the Filmore, NYC" One of the best live Albums of all time

+1

Originally Posted By: greenjp
Metallica's black album certainly netted them a level of commercial success they hadn't seen until then, but make no mistake their legacy is of thrash from the Kill 'em All and Ride the Lightning albums.

jeff

no doubt

Last edited:
Rush: 2112. It earned them artistic freedom. Moving Pictures showed that they could maintain integrity while gaining mass market appeal.

Jimi Hendrix: Are You Experienced. I still remember the first time I heard Purple Haze. I was 5, and my big brother had just bought the album. It was an inflection point in the history of rock music.

Van Halen I. Eddie's guitar heroism and the bands overall freewheeling attitude spawned many imitators, leading eventually to the creative vacuum of the late '80s.

Originally Posted By: BoomerCTD
Originally Posted By: mongo161
IMO....The "Allman Brothers Band - Live at the Filmore, NYC" One of the best live Albums of all time

+1

You mean live at the filmore east? I have that...that intro'd dicky betts and duane to the world as a dual guitar force to be reckoned with.

Some more:

let face it, Pearl Jams '10' moved the grunge sound out of seattle and gave the world an alternative to Cobains endless snivelling.

For those into a little more county rock - the Badlees 'River Songs'

Supertramps 'Breakfast in america'

I refuse to stick to just the 80s since that's when music started to stink ;-)

But here are a few picks for albums that either "made" a band or kicked them up from obscurity to household name status even if their fans had known them for years:

REM- Murmur
Asia- first album (Asia)
Pink Floyd- Dark Side of the Moon
REO Speedwagon- High Infidelity
Styx- The Grand Illusion
Yes- They Yes Album
Talking Heads- Remain in Light
The Fixx- Reach the Beach
Rush- 2112
AC/DC- Back in Black
Boston- Boston
Kansas- Point of Know Return