Anyone Workout/Run/Lift Weights?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been awhile since I was last here...nice to be back!

Anyways, does anyone on here lift weights?

After a good deal of research, this seems like a great program that will prepare me for either a "stint" in the military after college or a career in law enforcement:

Workout Program

P.S. - What the heck is a "Bend & Thrust"?

Thanks.

quote:

Originally posted by Jelly:

Sounds like the old "Squat-Thrust" from gym class.
1. Bend knees and squat your body.
2. Put arms out in front, palms face down on floor. Shoulder width apart
3. Switch weight to arm/shoulder.
4. kick out feet to an upright push-up position. (the starting position for Push-ups)
5. Pull legs back into position mentioned in step 2.
6. Stand up.
7. Repeat.

Sorry, can't give any insight to the link that you posted.

Tony

quote:

Originally posted by Jelly:
Been awhile since I was last here...nice to be back!

Anyways, does anyone on here lift weights?

After a good deal of research, this seems like a great program that will prepare me for either a "stint" in the military after college or a career in law enforcement:

Workout Program

Thanks.

Concentrate on your running times, push-ups and sit-ups!
The USAF's new fitness program for a dude my age (28) is something like 1.5 mile in 9.36 minutes, 55-60 sit-ups in 1 minute and 50-55 push-ups in 1 minute................along with a gut measurement. The above numbers are for a perfect score of 100 points (assuming my gut was within the standard
rolleyes.gif
spaz.gif
) The best I've got is something like 79-80 points. Our new program kicks butt.......literally!!!

Check out the fitness requirements for the branch you're interested in. I don't know if it's changed, but the PFT qualification for the Marines was a 3 mile run, situps and pullups. As I recall a perfect score for younger Marines was 3 miles in 18 minutes, 20 chins, and 80 situps in 2 minutes. I'll guess that crunches may have replaced situps. Slow five mile runs were common for conditioning. 'Humping loads' is what really kicked your *** as it sometimes it seems like you'll never get to where you're going.

The best single book that I've run across on fitness is the Navy SEAL Fitness Handbook. I picked mine up at a federal bookstore, but I think that it has an ISBN now and can be found online.

'Bends and *%$%#@# thrusts' were often used for punishment in boot camp as they're good for conditioning.

It looks like there are a lot of SEAL workout books/tapes/DVDs/etc. out there, but the link below looks like the one that I referred to. I like the book as a bunch of Navy doctors, Phds, etc., asked the SEALs 'what do you think is hard to do', and they built a program around that, with supporting information. The biggest error that I see most workout books, gym instructors, etc. making is that they don't try to determine what you're training for.

http://www.historyofmilitary.com/Navy_SEAL_Physical_Fitness_Guide_1568523742.html

I've heard from too many guys that the old TX DPS academy was extremely hard.
I've talked to marines and a former navy seal who stated that overall the DPS academy was more difficult. DPS is 6 months vs the 8 or 12 wks for the marines or navy seals.
It's all in the mind. The simplest program can prepare you for what ever you need, if you have the mind set to make it so.

Don't know much about your routine (sounds like a good one), but I have had good luck with the "Slow Weights" program in which you move the weights in your routine verrry slowly. Kinda like slow motion power lifting.

Now, if I could just find some good cardio program that doesn't entail running. Ran for umpteen years and the docs said "knock it off." So I now use weighted leg lifts to keep the leg and knee muscles in (hopefully) good shape. I still do some martial arts (hapkido and Akido) so I guess that counts for some cardio stuff.

I bicycle some as well.

Another good routine with weights is to do supersets. You start with the legs and back, the largest muscles. You work the fronts of the legs and "immediately" after the set on the fronts you work the back of the legs, no rest! You do 2 sets. After the legs you work back and chest with the same routine, the bicep and triceps. The key is to do 2 sets of all in under 30 minutes and follow up immediately with 20-30 minutes on the treadmill on the steepest setting. Total workout 1 hour, 3 times a week.

Keep in mind that if you are just starting out you do not do supersets until after 2-3 months since you need to gradually condition the body for this routine.

In my younger days I ran cross country in school and immediately following I had football practice. I would not get home until 9 at night! What made it tougher is both my football coaches were ex-Marines!
spaz.gif

I'm 43 years old and still get a First Class rating on the USMC Physical Fitness Test. A few months ago on a PFT, I beat my 24 year old Sergeant who was about to check out and report to Drill Instructor School. I'm 6ft tall, weigh 200lbs, and have 15% body fat. If this sounds immodest, I apologize. My point is that what I've been doing is plainly working.

My personal strategy is to alternate resistance/stength workouts with aero. I workout six days per week. Three days a week, I do about 45 minutes on my Bowflex machine (a great piece of gear), followed by about 10 minues of skiing on a Nordictrack to relax muscles and purge lactic acid. Two days a week, I put in a full hour on the Nordic Track. One day per week I run for about 45 minutes.

You must consider diet too. Adkins works great for fast weight loss, but in my opinion, at least for me, the results are way too unstable. I focus on balancing carbs and protein, while limiting fat intake. I also try to do 4-5 smaller smaller meals per day.

Overall, it's critical to use a plan that you can stick with long-term. Do all you can to avoid flash-in-the-pan regimes that you'll ultimately have to quit, usually leaving you worse off than you were before.

EDIT: oh yeah, just for reference, the Marine Corps PFT consists of three events: pullups (20 reps for max score), crunches (100 reps within two minutes for max score), and a three-mile run (18 minutes for max score, maximum allowable time varies with age).

Ok, lets see,

Workout? No, I prefer to work in, where its warm.
Run? Only when being chased.
Lift weights? Do doughnuts count?

Seriously. I HAVE to stay in fairly decent shape to survive in my job. My physical routine varies but I'm usually doing SOMETHING each day. For cardio, I treadmill, NordicTrack, run stairs (structured, in sets) and swim (thats a good one for you too Kule, easy on the joints).

For strength, I do the usual freeweight exercises when equipment is available although I find myself doing a fair share of sit-ups, pushups and squat-thrusts with the TV blaring in the background. I also teach Defensive Tactics so get a decent workout being thrown around in addition to the benefit of skills training. Don't forget to stretch
smile.gif

I don't smoke and while I like to kid about doughnuts, I try to eat well. 5-6 smaller "meals" is the way to go for me. Keeps me fueled without the "fat and happy" feeling of big meals. Oh, and I drink so much water that I think my kidneys are floating sometimes.

I like to ride my mountain bike, rollerblade (getting up requires LOTS of muscle strength
wink.gif
)and roughhouse with the boy.

A couple of "non-conventional" routine that I have gotten into recently are Tai Chi and Yoga. Helps to keep the mind in as good of shape as the bod.

While I'm no Mr Universe, I am pleased with my physical condition. I had a foot pursuit about a month ago with some twenty-something thief. We ran about a half a mile through all kinds of terrain/obstacles and when I finally hooked him, he commented (between pantings) how I didn't even look winded for an "old guy" (I'm 42). And thats with about 20lbs of bulletproof vest and fun tools in my "Captain America" belt. I guess that not too bad for an "old guy"
grin.gif

I go in between just conventional liftin and powerlifting. I mainly focus on bench, squat, and deadlift. I love doing freestyle chins, pullups, and dips weighted. Im hoping to push 300 by the end of the year on bench(265 now), 400 on dead(330), and squat at least 300 pds in the next couple weeks. Im only 21, but my main goal is to get stronger.

I'm an office jockey who tries to stay in shape. My routine varies throughout the year but at my height, this is what I do/did:

50 push-ups (1 uninterrupted set) 3 times each week.

110 sit-ups (1 uninterrupted set) 3 times each week.

20 reps with each hand using a 25lb weight, 3 times each week.

Run 2.25 miles once each week (17.5-18 minutes)

I also walk 5 flights of stairs 1-2 times each day at work, two at a time at a "hurried" pace.

Not gonna make SEALs anytime soon but not too shabby for a 37 year old who rides a desk all day.
wink.gif

--- Bror Jace

Shortyb,

quote:

I also teach Defensive Tactics so get a decent workout being thrown around in addition to the benefit of skills training.

Just curious, what martial arts methods or combos do you use in your training? The reason I ask is that I have seen, heard, and debated various methods with peers for many years. When things get down and dirty, I use Datu Kelly S. Worden's mix.

And I do swimming outside in good weather.

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
Work out? Why'd I wanna die in top shape?
tongue.gif

What makes me laugh are people who drive to the gym.

Don't need to answer that question for you. You'll answer it yourself during the last two, three, maybe five years of your life that you and your debilitated body spend in a nursing home going through a couple boxes of Depends undergarments per day.
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Speaking of the gym, I need to get back into working out my shoulder aches! Ouch!
shocked.gif
smile.gif
Its that arthritic crap or old age or both.

quote:

quote:Originally posted by moribundman:
Work out? Why'd I wanna die in top shape? [Razz]

Don't need to answer that question for you. You'll answer it yourself during the last two, three, maybe five years of your life that you and your debilitated body spend in a nursing home going through a couple boxes of Depends undergarments per day. [Razz] [Razz]

Maybe so, but at least I'll have that nifty scooter while you have your colostomy bag attached to a crummy walker.
wink.gif

Originally posted by MolaKule:
quote:

Just curious, what martial arts methods or combos do you use in your training? The reason I ask is that I have seen, heard, and debated various methods with peers for many years. When things get down and dirty, I use Datu Kelly S. Worden's mix.

And I do swimming outside in good weather.

We do mostly Ju Jitsu for joint locking and such. Goshin for power moves with some Tae Kwon Do sprinkled in for flavor. Ground fighting has alot of Graci overtones. But you just can't beat Kelly's stuff when the deck is stacked against you though. Lots of folks here follow his method and training. Love that eye gouge
grin.gif

quote:

What gets me is when people drive around a parking lot a few times looking for a parking space closest to the door of the........work out club.

Seriously, theres this guy I know, that needs to lose a few pounds in his gut area and hasnt worked out much lately, benefit from a stationary bike which also pumps the arms, while watching TV in the late evening? I can get, I mean, he can get this bike for free. Or would he be better off easing into a more vigorous workout with weights, crunches, pushups, and eventually, jumproping?

MAJA, the TV and comfort of his own home may be his only incentives to be physically active at all. I wonder if he has the willpower to stay away orm his fridge, though.
rolleyes.gif

It's funny you mention parking lots, 'cause I always park far away from all others to avoid door dings. That's how I get my workout.
tongue.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back