Anyone here lift weights at home? Dumbbell Recommendations?

Ok, in my new retired lifestyle I have plenty of time on my hands. Health is really important to me or maybe better said beating the male side of the family heart and diabetes issues that has affected many of them.
So far, fingers crossed I have been able to mostly achieve that by eating right, maintaining proper weight I have not needed any intervention for heart disease though there is some minimal plaque and no diabetes yet which is a first on my male side of the family at my age.
Other family members had both issues close to 2 decades earlier in age.
(ok I am rambling)

Anyway, now that I have the spare time I have taken it to the next level. Joined a gym, 2 intense workouts a week, at first it took me 2 days to recover from a one hour work out at OrangeTheory, then I would go back and repeat, so most of my week was taken up recovering from the workout! This was only Nov of 2021 that I started with them. Now, Feb of 2021 it only takes a day to recover.
First time going to a gym and I LOVE IT. I cant get enough, *LOL actually noticing my muscles in my arms now too.
(not kidding)
I think I would like to go from 2 workouts a week to 3 but not sure if I am ready for that and I am not sure I want to spend close up to another $100 a month to go from 2 workouts to 3. SO for now anyway, I am getting a dumbbell set to have my own at home 1 hour session a week, to fill in the middle of the week and maybe more.

SO for the last few weeks I have been researching and researching and researching adjustable dumbbells. Literally have spent DAYS and days on this.
As much as maybe a full set of dumbbells might makes sense Im not even sure what room I will use them in, Im also not sure what I am going to get out of this and if I buy something I don want garbage cheap stuff, so individual good dumbbells I think will run $400 or $500 and even then who knows what the quality will be like, how long I will use them and 100 or 150 lbs or so isnt an item easy to return, more so if you ship it.

So I am about to pull the trigger on an adjustable dumbbell set. I wanted to be able to buy it in store so it would be easy to return but ***** Sporting Goods, Academy Sporting Goods, Walmart, Sams Club, Costco doesnt carry them.
Im about to order them direct from the company which means they will be shipped.
Im wondering if any input and if anyone has used them before. I combed through literally dozens of reviews and YouTubes on them and they sound great.
I almost made what I feel would have been a mistake buying some other brands, this looks like the one for me.

I have those exact DBs - very nice, work well, sturdy, and my only critique is I wish they were adjustable up to 75lbs. I'm a very large fella and lift 4x per week for the past 10 years and so I understand this won't be an issue for most. When I'm lifting at home and the weight isn't enough I do super slow negatives or say hold one DB halfway up to keep constant tension while I'm pressing the other to keep it challenging.

I have those exact DBs - very nice, work well, sturdy, and my only critique is I wish they were adjustable up to 75lbs. I'm a very large fella and lift 4x per week for the past 10 years and so I understand this won't be an issue for most. When I'm lifting at home and the weight isn't enough I do super slow negatives or say hold one DB halfway up to keep constant tension while I'm pressing the other to keep it challenging.
Wow, fantastic, just about to order them. Yeah, your right about that, 50Lbs each will be more than enough for me for quite some time.
Great to see feedback from people I have "seen" around this forum, thanks.
One thing about weights, not easy to receive and return if being done through shipping.
Thanks again.

I looked in to the expensive adjustable one but the cost is ridiculous. I already had plenty of weight plates so I just bought the inexpensive handles I can add weight to. I also have solid dumbbells too in 20lb and 40lb.
DC23E8D6-FA34-48AF-A805-502319E154DB.jpeg

Those look really nice, thanks for the link. I had no idea they existed. At my peak, I could use 50 pounders in general press use and 65 pounds for lifts. Tried for years to move up to 55 pounds and every once in a while I could do it. But that was too much for me.

Then I got sick with autoimmune/MCDS/Hashimoto's and mitochondrial dysfunction. While I can no longer exercise by lifting weights of any sort, the strength gains I worked towards were very beneficial. As I'm much stronger than I would have been otherwise. I can still lift a lot of weight, but only once.

Never give up on keeping yourself in good shape. diet and exercise is not a cure-all, don't ever believe it is. AND something will knock nearly all us down as we age. How much strength remains to get back up is a factor in one's recovery. That is something we can control.

I have a home gym filled with weights from Rogue equipment. It's pricy but the quality is unbeatable. I ordered them direct.
I'm 47 and can still bench press 250 pounds for reps. I only lift weights 2 times a week and the rest of the time I walk 2 to 3 miles a day, sometimes I'll run a mile. I too, am trying to defeat the heart and diabetes issue and so far I am succeeding.

I have the Bowflex adjustable set, actually bought them for my wife as a gift a few years ago but they are adequate for us both...max out at 52.5 lbs each. Good build quality, only downside with most adjustable sets is they are always physically more bulky than standard dumbells, so depending on the exercise sometimes the disks can get in the way. But, can't beat them for convenience and the minimal footprint.

Those look really nice, thanks for the link. I had no idea they existed. At my peak, I could use 50 pounders in general press use and 65 pounds for lifts. Tried for years to move up to 55 pounds and every once in a while I could do it. But that was too much for me.

Then I got sick with autoimmune/MCDS/Hashimoto's and mitochondrial dysfunction. While I can no longer exercise by lifting weights of any sort, the strength gains I worked towards were very beneficial. As I'm much stronger than I would have been otherwise. I can still lift a lot of weight, but only once.

Never give up on keeping yourself in good shape. diet and exercise is not a cure-all, don't ever believe it is. AND something will knock nearly all us down as we age. How much strength remains to get back up is a factor in one's recovery. That is something we can control.
Wow, you have overcame a lot and have a lot on your plate, Attitude. I had to look up your ailments to understand what it is.
I do remember your post which made a reference to walking your dog around the block and I wondered what that mean't.

No, nothing is ever a cure all, genetics and luck, diet and exercise increase your odds of ailments related to lack of proper diet and exercise but not if genetics overrules or anything else for that matter.

Thanks for your post and best wishes with your challenges, I mean that.
Going to pull the trigger on those weights right now.
Im not looking to be this mass of muscles, in fact at my age if I tried to be I might actually do more harm then good! *LOL*
I just want to be in good shape, toned might be the word for it. Its why I go to OrangeTheory. Its a balance of a cardio workout with some toning but it is not in any way for someone looking to be a mass of muscles.

I have a 90 lb set of Powerblocks that I bought used about 12 years ago at Play It Again Sports. They retail for $700 today. I know I didn't pay anything close to that. They are great and a stand is available for purchase.

This place has the 50 lb set on sale. You'd have to buy two of them to have a pair. I never heard for this webpage so buyer beware. https://dailysteals.com/powerblock-...hXct0jozvhTJoTAw2o5Wv6UkGUExVNR107Sk0&irgwc=1

I have the Bowflex adjustable set, actually bought them for my wife as a gift a few years ago but they are adequate for us both...max out at 52.5 lbs each. Good build quality, only downside with most adjustable sets is they are always physically more bulky than standard dumbells, so depending on the exercise sometimes the disks can get in the way. But, can't beat them for convenience and the minimal footprint.
Yes, I almost bought the Bowflex, actually in store Sams Club by me has them at the great price of $249.
But, as you mentioned I got concerned about the bulk, they are very long no mater how much weight the that you us. Bowflex is reliable, actually I think worlds largest selling adjustable. But this newer company "Core" has a reasonably price set that the bulk is only the amount of weight that you ad. More or less, there isnt any bulk its just how many plates you add to the bar. Watched a ton of YouTubes on them, cording them right now.
Kind of like a present from my wife, returned some Christmas items, one was a pair of sunglasses of 3/4 of the price of the dumbbells.

I have a 90 lb set of Powerblocks that I bought used about 12 years ago at Play It Again Sports. They retail for $700 today. I know I didn't pay anything close to that. They are great and a stand is available for purchase.

This place has the 50 lb set on sale. You'd have to buy two of them to have a pair. I never heard for this webpage so buyer beware. https://dailysteals.com/powerblock-...hXct0jozvhTJoTAw2o5Wv6UkGUExVNR107Sk0&irgwc=1
Yeah, I like power blocks, ***** has them at a pretty good price, yeah, some of these super cheaper sellers I dont trust and I dont know why it says 30 day warranty, power blocks I think are lifetime. I have seen a lot of this stuff online.

Powerblocks rank high on my list but going to try the Core, I DID enjoy trying the Powerblocks at ***** way more than I expected too. I like the simplicity and mechanics of them. Powerblocks are almost a must if you want to get up in the range you lift 90lbs.

I have a home gym filled with weights from Rogue equipment. It's pricy but the quality is unbeatable. I ordered them direct.
I'm 47 and can still bench press 250 pounds for reps. I only lift weights 2 times a week and the rest of the time I walk 2 to 3 miles a day, sometimes I'll run a mile. I too, am trying to defeat the heart and diabetes issue and so far I am succeeding.
Yeah, boy, I am looking at my posts and as most can see I have been doing my reading. Yes, Rogue would be a contender if I was looking at straight up dumbbells for sure.

Might be another option I do not own them but do own Rouge equipment.
https://www.roguefitness.com/nuobell
Yes, As another posted and I agree, Rogue is first class stuff and construction. I am aware of these nuobell. These are the adjustable to have if you want something to last almost a lifetime, Core comes close but the nuobell is all cast metal plates and parts. Its a price though that I dont think (for now anyway) makes it worth it to me since I am only starting on this stuff.

Powerblocks as another mentioned will last a lifetime and kind of unique in a way.
All of them have advantages and disadvantages compared to straight up well made single weight dumbbells.

HERE IS A GOOD IDEA FOR CONSIDERATION AS WELL -- The Original Kettle Gryp - Made in the U.S.A. - As Seen on Shark Tank! Turn Your Dumbbells Into Kettlebells Adjustable Portable Weight Grips​

Yes, As another posted and I agree, Rogue is first class stuff and construction. I am aware of these nuobell. These are the adjustable to have if you want something to last almost a lifetime, Core comes close but the nuobell is all cast metal plates and parts. Its a price though that I dont think (for now anyway) makes it worth it to me since I am only starting on this stuff.

Powerblocks as another mentioned will last a lifetime and kind of unique in a way.
All of them have advantages and disadvantages compared to straight up well made single weight dumbbells.
I hate to say they are investments as the price of weights has gone us hugely in the past few years and you never know what the future brings but they do have a large residual worth. If the prices stay the same or value increases, you'll be able to sell your stuff used for near what you paid for it. I know I can get more for my weights than what I paid for them.

I looked in to the expensive adjustable one but the cost is ridiculous. I already had plenty of weight plates so I just bought the inexpensive handles I can add weight to. I also have solid dumbbells too in 20lb and 40lb. View attachment 87846

^^^ This. Versatile, smarter, takes minimal space (less than the adjustable set really), uses the same plates you already have, and costs about 1/20th the cost of the $400 adjustable set. Plus you can get a few and have different ones loaded at the same time for additional people or super set workouts with different weights.

My gym membership is ~$20 per month. The adjustable set represents nearly 2 years worth of membership costs for access to an entire gym.

I’ve got the Bowflex set, had them for 10 years or so. They only go to 52.5 but with the stand they are nice and don’t take up much space. I have 60 and 70 lb regular iron dumbbells in my home gym as well. Good on you for staying ahead of the family “tradition”.

Back