Anyone here lift weights at home? Dumbbell Recommendations?

Is there a reason for not joining a gym? I don't work out at home because I would 1) Destroy the garage floor (It's concrete slab), and 2) buying all of that equipment just doesn't seem cost effective.

The unpredicted benefit is that you will socialize. I hate dealing with people in person, but even I have formed a few friendships at the gym. Like-minded people who are "outside of the rest of your circle" can be valuable connections, especially as we age. I do not know your age, but I'd like to think that if you are retired, you are older than myself, and I am already seeing advantages to cultivating multiple social circles, small though they may be.

Is there a reason for not joining a gym? I don't work out at home because I would 1) Destroy the garage floor (It's concrete slab), and 2) buying all of that equipment just doesn't seem cost effective.

The unpredicted benefit is that you will socialize. I hate dealing with people in person, but even I have formed a few friendships at the gym. Like-minded people who are "outside of the rest of your circle" can be valuable connections, especially as we age. I do not know your age, but I'd like to think that if you are retired, you are older than myself, and I am already seeing advantages to cultivating multiple social circles, small though they may be.
I do a mix, 2 sessons of OrangeTheory a week (which is really intense) and one day at home for the same time period with the weights I posted on the previous page. I do too enjoy the social aspect of the gym.
I actually go to work out my heart and keep it strong, every heart test on planet earth in the last 2 years proved that to be true, except recently I have had "electrical" timing issues with my heart, still strong but some crossed signals. It seems it's been corrected 10 days ago with ablation but for the first time in a year now I haven't been to the gym in two weeks and most likely give it one more week. Though today I normally go and it's driving me nuts that I am not. I was actually in the hospital again yesterday for 9 hours for sudden morning chest pain but nothing found wrong.

I suspect the fact that I was supposed to be resting after the ablation procedure and not lifting anything more heavy than a gallon of milk did me in because we were in the middle of moving when I had the procedure done and literally continued my moving the next day after the procedure.
Moving forward into next year, I might look for a typical gym vs the OrangeTheory.

Reactions: Ws6
Whatever you can pick up on craigslist - I prefer metal to concrete filled plastic.

Gyms are nasty. That's a good reason to avoid them.
Lol, this entire world is nasty. The gym is probably the cleanest place I go. That said, I often forget how the average American lives, and to a typical citizen, yes, the gym is a hot spot vs the rest of their world. That said, I doubt but maybe 1 or 2 people on this forum have home setups I would find adequate, so money vs utility. Gym is best for me, if Inesnt to maintain myself, even though ideally sure, Id never leave the house.

Back