Anyone here lift weights at home? Dumbbell Recommendations?

I’ve got the Bowflex set, had them for 10 years or so. They only go to 52.5 but with the stand they are nice and don’t take up much space. I have 60 and 70 lb regular iron dumbbells in my home gym as well. Good on you for staying ahead of the family “tradition”.
^^^ Im new to this stuff, but seems like Bowflex and Powerblocks brought the adjustable weights into the mainstream, at least my perception of it.
I doubt I will need to go above 50 and if that day does come Ill think more about it then. Im really looking at an overall fitness regimen which is cardio and general good muscle tone.

Being I only started on this next phase of my life with gym and weights. I dont have anything close to a home gym set up, seems like we have settled on a room for now which will be our sunroom, anyway, the adjustable fit the bill. Yes, once it arrives I will look at the stand too, maybe should have ordered both at once but only a $20 savings. We just ordered the Core Fitness Adjustable and supposed to be here in a few days.

As I said I also love going to OrangeTheory, its a balance of over all cardo/fitness which is perfect for me.
Thanks for the comment on "family tradition" yeah, that is a big one for me and a huge driver in this quest. Im kind of proud of it too, some family used to think I was not enjoying life by excluding all the fatty foods and ect... but I actually took pride in that. They now credit me and my eating habits. What's more, my eating habits are truly just good quality food and protein. I don feel like I am giving anything up. Sure I love the smell of fat burning on a grill but I dont like the way it feels the next day after I eat it, I got so used to lean protein of all types.

^^^ Im new to this stuff, but seems like Bowflex and Powerblocks brought the adjustable weights into the mainstream, at least my perception of it.
I doubt I will need to go above 50 and if that day does come Ill think more about it then. Im really looking at an overall fitness regimen which is cardio and general good muscle tone.

Being I only started on this next phase of my life with gym and weights. I dont have anything close to a home gym set up, seems like we have settled on a room for now which will be our sunroom, anyway, the adjustable fit the bill. Yes, once it arrives I will look at the stand too, maybe should have ordered both at once but only a $20 savings. We just ordered the Core Fitness Adjustable and supposed to be here in a few days.

As I said I also love going to OrangeTheory, its a balance of over all cardo/fitness which is perfect for me.
Thanks for the comment on "family tradition" yeah, that is a big one for me and a huge driver in this quest. Im kind of proud of it too, some family used to think I was not enjoying life by excluding all the fatty foods and ect... but I actually took pride in that. They now credit me and my eating habits. What's more, my eating habits are truly just good quality food and protein. I don feel like I am giving anything up. Sure I love the smell of fat burning on a grill but I dont like the way it feels the next day after I eat it, I got so used to lean protein of all types.
Any particular dumbbell lifts you looking to do.

Good to see your investing in your health. You'll eventually find what works best for you. I started lifting at home in high school. Now I go to the gym about 20 minutes away.

I'll be doing this lifestyle til the day I die. Enjoy the process, sometimes it gets hard,but nothing is easy.

Set of plates along with dumbbells gives a ton of options to lift with.
Screenshot_20220206-105420_Gallery.jpg

Exercise with weights is definitely the “fountain of youth“ for us seniors. I’ve been working out with weights for a long time, but have been using dyna bands more as I age. Proper warm-ups/stretching with correct positioning is critical in protecting aging knees, backs & rotator cuffs.

Horse stall mats at Tractor Supply are a good, cheap flooring option or something to set weights on. I put them down in my entire home gym floor and saved thousands vs commercial rubber flooring. Just an option to consider if you don’t want to destroy a floor.

I’m currently hoping my low back recovers to the point I can start working out again. I’m 40 and had back surgery a year ago and it is not going as I had hoped. Walking, pull-ups and push-ups is the extent of my workout program right now, which sucks.

I used the bowflex adjustable ones over the beginning of the lockdown. They look cool and all but they limited my range of motion because the length of the handle bar didn't change with the amount of weight. If I was only doing 20lbs, I'd still have the entire bulky length of handle, complete with weight selector dial. Luckily the ones you chose doesn't look like it has that issue of the handlebar size.

It also felt fragile enough that I didn't want to drop them from more than an inch off the ground. The plates moved around the handle and I always had a fear of the plates breaking loose from the handle and falling on my foot, head, or dog.

Another issue was the weight wasn't evenly distributed in the dumbbells and I occasionally had to adjust my grip halfway through a rep/middle of a set - not an easy feeling when there's a hunk of iron above your head.

My favorite is the generic circle dumb bell sets without ergo grip, with the hex shape as a second choice. Handles are also a good choice - you can buy a bar later and reuse the plates for more workouts.

While I like dumbells and own a nice set of Soloflex ones, I mostly use my Soloflex machine or resistance bands to work out with because the progressive resistance of these is easier on my joints and with resistance bands, I can work out pretty much anywhere.

I have not personally seen the ones you referenced and bought but I've messed around with the Bowflex ones in the past and they were okay but kind of bulky. The most important thing is to get out there and do something. I'm retired and work out five days a week to try and stay in shape because I also have diabetes and there are heart issues in my family though I don't have any yet.

I only have SPRI for beginners. They're enough for me. I try to exercise every day, follow healthy diet, take Canada Drugs supplements regularly, take plenty of daily walks to feel healthy and strong.

Last edited:
While I like dumbells and own a nice set of Soloflex ones, I mostly use my Soloflex machine or resistance bands to work out with because the progressive resistance of these is easier on my joints and with resistance bands, I can work out pretty much anywhere.

I have not personally seen the ones you referenced and bought but I've messed around with the Bowflex ones in the past and they were okay but kind of bulky. The most important thing is to get out there and do something. I'm retired and work out five days a week to try and stay in shape because I also have diabetes and there are heart issues in my family though I don't have any yet.
Yeah, I ended up purchasing Core Fitness Adjustable Dumbbells. ( I actually forgot about the thread I started on this)
What I like about the Core fitness is there isnt any bulk. Its only as big as the amount of weight you have on it, no long empty bar.
I'll post some photos but can also be seen at https://corehomefitness.com/collections/all/products/adjustable-dumbbell-set

I like them a lot, just what I was hoping for. Granted I did A LOT of reading/research before buying, they have a great return policy but would cost me $185 to ship 115 lbs back using UPS !!! *LOL*

Reactions: wtd
Ok, here they are, they work perfect for me. Adjustable in 5lb increments up to 50Lbs for each. Doubt I will ever use the full 50 lbs per arm, looking for health and toning. Being older now I dont want to overdo it on the ligaments and joints! *LOL*
So this is my original plan and sticking with it.

1. Two times a week I go to OrangeTheory for a coached 60 minute high intensity workout. I absolutely love going there and would recommend to anyone looking for a good combination of treadmill, rowing and weight room work out that is non stop for 60 minutes, all the while you wear a heart rate monitor (that you purchase) the system monitors your heart rate.
No pressure you work out as hard as you want but the theory is to get your heart rate up high enough for heart health. Your heart rate guide is individual to you, age appropriate. The heart rate shows up on your equipment and monitors in the studio. Being I am a bit older now, I got good at keeping it to an age appropriate average.
The formula for this is 220 - minus your age should be your peak heart rate. Im not a doctor and this is not advice, check with your own doctor. I did ask my cardiologist and that matches up with what OrangeTheory heart rate displays use when showing your percentage. Meaning a young person will work at a higher heart rate than an older person. Again, you control your heart rate and how hard you work.

2. As previously posted I wanted some weights to keep up the momentum of the two classes I go to every week with weights at my home for 45 minutes one or two times a week. So I purchased the Core Fitness Adjustable Dumbbells, they scream quality, Very happy with them. You just dial in the weight that you want on the dumbbell and lift it out of the cradle as pictured.
I also picked up a cheap bench, happened to see it in Walmart at half price. $25!
IMG_6670.jpeg

IMG_6671.jpeg
IMG_6672.jpeg
IMG_6673.jpeg

Last edited:
This is the bench I picked up. I happened to take this photo because my dog decided he wanted to lay down right where I was going to work out.
Turns out, our sunroom is a great place, climate controlled and ceiling fan right above my head plus a nice view in the backyard.
66682582597__DD3D7F0E-390C-4EE6-8E0A-FF5A9BAF7221.jpeg

This is the bench I picked up. I happened to take this photo because my dog decided he wanted to lay down right where I was going to work out.
Turns out, our sunroom is a great place, climate controlled and ceiling fan right above my head plus a nice view in the backyard.
View attachment 89679
I myself would invest in a seated adjustable bench way more options on exercises.

I myself would invest in a seated adjustable bench way more options on exercises.
Yes, that may be an option once I am more knowledgeable on the exercises I am doing. Right now, I just happened to see a bench for $25 so figured it would be a start until I know exactly what I want to do and what type of bench.

I have the same cheapo threaded adjustable dumbbells mentioned above. Definitely not convenient if rapid weight changes are needed. But I like the option to adjust weights in 2.5lb increments.

Powerblock Pro EXP. They're expandable up to 90lbs each and you can get a straight bar and curl bar for them. All you need is a good bench.
I have some of these adjustables as well.. I rarely use them and do not like (may not be the same brand, they are just adjustable.)

They may be the cheapos Kurtatron referenced.

The caps holding on the weight cannot handle the weight and leaves an awkward experience in handling the dumbbell.

I'm about to just go to Walmart and buy a 20 and 25lbs set, lighter weight means more rep yet I still keep thinking starting heavier will tone faster.. I also have one giant 40lbs one that I rarely use.

Maybe the lighter weight will ensure more use which may yield a better result. But end my "Why I don't like the adjustable system" rant.

Notice the 5lbs are off.. I actually get better use lifting the discs like weights. Dont laugh.. For a beginner, holding these straight out at your side like a "T" and moving them can be somewhat hard at first.

I should give these to someone in need or just toss them. I use them to do a set or two of overhead raises and they are loose and I don't like. Maybe a 15, 20, 25 lbs set from Walmart the rubber ended ones will get more consistent use.
20220323_141035.jpg

Yes if you consider cases of oil.. and gallons of antifreeze and bags of rock salt. And lately snow blowers and mower decks.

I looked in to the expensive adjustable one but the cost is ridiculous. I already had plenty of weight plates so I just bought the inexpensive handles I can add weight to. I also have solid dumbbells too in 20lb and 40lb. View attachment 87846
This is what mine look like. I keep about 100lbs on each of my dumbbells. Getting ready to have to go weight shopping, as I can easily lift all the weight I have.

Back