Electric motor bushing bridge

I have a 2.5 gallon shopvac. Loved its performance
compared to a buckethead vaccuum of similar size.

Investigating bearing type noise, I found one end of the bracket holding the felt surrounded brass bushing, broken.

JB Weld to the rescue. I scuffed all Mterial for maximum mechanical tooth bonding, cleaned with IPA, ratioed the JB weld via weight, mixed thoroughly, applied generously around break, and also around the opposite unbroken side of the bridge to re enforce it.

Waited days before reassembly, and it worked perfectly.
yeehaw.

I used some Honda 30 weight to soak the felt surrounding bushing a few months after after much use.

2 weeks later it tipped over and fell in use, and started making the noise again.

Open it up, the JB weld failed. Applied minimal leverage to other previously unbroken yet re enforced bridge, and it too snapped, far too easily.

I know the Jb Weld was ratioed and mixed properly, applied properly to properly prepared surface, so either the vibrational stresses fatigued the bridge and/or the lubricant spewed by centrifugal force (20k rpm)weakened the JB weld.

Anyway I have no faith in attempting to re JB weld the broken bridge, and cant seem to find any way to get a new one.

I really dont want to have to send this to the landfill, and have no waY to fabricate a new bridge.

A full vaccuum replacement of same model is about 70$, but i would much rather fix this one

Anyone know the proper terminology for this part, and a potential source?

Attachments

• 20231015_150833.jpg
    20231015_150833.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 20231015_150902.jpg
    20231015_150902.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 46
It looks old? Does it hold the top of the vacuum where the motor is attached? I'd try a specialty vacuum store. I found a nice Ryobi small handheld vacuum a few years ago. I couldn't find the oddball square filter that clips into the pre filter. Went to my local vacuum store and they ordered a couple of them and they were no more expensive than Amazon.

Thanks. No success on locating the one i need, yet.

With how easily this thing broke, I imagine many inop vaccuum are out there.

Dude, Ace is the place. Get a small outside angle bracket. Pre-drill for 1/8 poprivets. Slather the joint with JB Weld and set the rivets. I repaired a broken aluminum starter housing. and a few loose bearing sockets in this fashion :cool:

Put that thing out of its misery, celebrate its long and useful life and reward yourself with brand new replacement. I imagine there are other portions of the vacuum that have aged/worn and the apex performance of yesteryear will never come back, even when repaired. You deserve a new one!

Clean away all the old epoxy, drill several 1/8 inch and or slightly larger Holes on both pieces near the joint. Weave it together with unwaxed dental floss, and then mix some new JB Weld and saturate the dental floss with the JB Weld and of course add more JB Weld to fill in the joint area.

By the way, mixing JB Weld by weighing both is using an assumption that both parts have the same specific gravity, which they may or may not. I don't know one way or the other but just reminding you that if the specific gravity of both of those chemicals is not identical then identical amounts of weight does not yield equal volumes.

Anyhow, if you use a lot of unwaxed dental floss and saturate it with epoxy like I mentioned above you'll end up with something in the realm of fiberglass for strength and that's pretty strong and resilient.

I used to build and fly gas powered remote control model airplanes and drilling holes and weaving together with unwax dental floss and then saturating with epoxy was one of my go-to methods of building strong and reliable motor mounts and landing gear sections of those aircrafts.

The tensle strength of silk dental floss is actually greater than the tensile strength of steel of equal weight.

Last edited:
Back