Workout supplements.

Achieving that at "our" age is amazing. Nice work. Even at my best (mid 30's), I was not quite there...maybe stronger, but not that lean. ;-)
1917963_132217364184_2697860_n.jpg
579265_10150947350719185_588048543_n.jpg
428386_10150947349464185_1425966061_n.jpg

Man you look great! (y) What supplements did you and do you currently take to get bulked up like that? I'm able to keep gaining strength, and stay cut and fit, but cant seem to bulk up. My current post workout mix is this:

Scoop of whey
Scoop of weight gainer
Scoop of creatine 5g
Scoop of collagen
10,000mcg biotin

I mix this in a glass of whole milk.

I lift three nights a week. First night is arms, second is chest, third is shoulders.

Last edited:
Man you look great! (y) What supplements did you and do you currently take to get bulked up like that? I'm able to keep gaining strength, and stay cut and fit, but cant seem to bulk up. My current post workout mix is this:

Scoop of whey
Scoop of weight gainer
Scoop of collagen
10,000mcg biotin

I lift three nights a week. First night is arms, second is chest, third is shoulders.
Thank you for the kind words. I have to say it was mostly genetics and hard work. I have "fatty" in my genes...when I looked like that I was under 1800 calories per day and training twice per day...cardio in the morning, and weights in the afternoon. In those pics, I was competing at 200 pounds. I am now 208, still train twice a day, but now under 1500 calories...with a goal to be back under 200. My mom can eat ~1000 calories a day, be moderately active, and will still be over 200 pounds at 5'4". My dad is 220, and most would consider him muscular at nearly 70 years old now...but he has never touched a weight. I was just genetically gifted I guess.

I didn't do much for supplements. I did take a multi-vitamin, once in the morning, and once in the afternoon. I was hooked on pre-workouts for a while, but can't touch the stuff now as I feel like my heart will explode. Creatine is good, but it makes me retain water. For protein I mostly ate cottage cheese, as it is a slower digesting protein as compared to whey...which makes you feel fuller longer, which is important when on such a calorie restricted diet. If I drink a whey shake, I will be starving in 20 minutes.

I trained nearly every single day from age 14...I was determined to be one of the strongest men in the world. It took a heavy toll on my joints. I am lucky I have one of the best surgeons on the world, and he has kept me going, but is strongly urging me to stop completely. I have destroyed my joints, and struggle just to sleep some nights.

I'm barely 5'9" on a good day, and would be considered as a small frame (I can wrap my hand around my wrist). Moving that amount of weight with such a small frame was not the best choice for my long term health...but it was fun ;-)

Psychology is extremely important in training. Anything you do to make you stronger or faster will have yield results if you believe in it. That pertains to the foods you believe will make you stronger. Why would Michael Johnson wear a gold necklace in a race? Show me the physics in that. But the psychology of it worked.

C5D26FF1-BF06-4F5B-9B1A-A1C81565B3AB.png

Scoop of whey
Scoop of weight gainer
Scoop of creatine 5g
Scoop of collagen
10,000mcg biotin

I never trained to look good, I always trained to be the strongest.

What many people don't realize, is you are not just training your muscles, but you are also training your nervous system. In your natural state, you don't have the mental capability to fire your muscles hard enough to hurt yourself...consider it a part of natural preservation. I also focused on training my nervous system...which made me quite strong for my size, but also led to many of my injuries.

That being said, I would lead off with a heavy lift that would really tax my body and nervous system. Usually bench on Monday, Squat on Wednesday, and Deadlift on Friday. Then accessory lifts...all push on Monday, Pull on Wednesday, and lower body on Friday.

Tuesday and Thursdays I would do an insane circuit I made up.

6 rounds of:
25 dips
25 pullups (kip and switch grips every 5)
25 elevated pushups
25 ab rows

Most people in developed countries who are not in poverty have no trouble getting all the protein required. I am not sure what is aup with all these protein drinks. Eat a banana.

Yep, maybe a banana every hour while I ride. Maybe a pint of chocolate milk at the end of the ride. It's a near perfect blend of carbs, protein and fat for a post ride drink.

Far more cost effective compared to what you find in specialty stores.

Keep a bottle of high quality fish oil, maybe Nordic Naturals or Carlson, in your air conditioned glove box. Take a tug on this 15 minutes before your workout.

I’ve been on peanut powder this week. Tastes pretty good and can be put in a lot of things.

Agree with your training philosophy Drive. Only major difference is it takes a lot of calories for me to bulk up. Currently on 4k a day. The most I can do without causing acid reflux and problems. I have done 6k a day but its not sustainable for me.

6'1' and 220 right now. Starting cutting at 230.

Eat big, lift big.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201016.jpg
    Screenshot_20201016.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 9
Back