My Plant Based Vegan Food

I've done a plant based diet for almost a decade now. I've learned a lot about how to make my own dishes and would like to share what it looks like in pictures and descriptions.

We have a German pot luck today and got to looking and this idea was from a German meatball dish.

Rice, good chunk of plant butter, basil, Worcestershire sauce (one without anchovies), Carolina style barbecue sauce with mustard and apple juice.
The balls are chopped up rinsed off garbanzo beans, bread, Worcestershire sauce, garlic/onion powder, parsley, ground flaxseed to hold the balls together, and salt the whole thing to taste. We use the 50% less sodium salt but you could just use half the amount w/reg salt.

IMG_20240119_120038.jpg

I wanted to make some junk food and what's a German pot luck with out German chocolate cake (probably not even German) 😂.

1 c sugar, 1 c stevia, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and powder. Salt, boil water and milk, then in a mix bowl add 1 cup store bought coconut pecan frosting, 2/3 c coconut flakes, then stir. Pour in the pan and this recipe is for propane stove. 250f for 30-35 minutes. Let it cool then ad frosting, pecan piece's, and coconut flakes.

IMG_20240119_115903.jpg

I will add more as I can.

Nice. I've been vegan for about 30 years now. Unless I killed it myself, but I only hunt or fish a handful of times per year. I usually eat simpler recipes with whole / unprocessed foods, like stir fry vegetables with brown rice, steel cut oats, etc. It's interesting to see these richer, more complex recipes that I would would consider for feast occasions. One that my wife does is lentil loaf, a vegan version of meatloaf.
PS: I just asked her, and she said the lentil loaf recipe is from the 1986 edition of Laurel's Kitchen and she uses steel cut oats instead of the nuts they call for.

Nice. I've been vegan for about 30 years now. Unless I killed it myself, but I only hunt or fish a handful of times per year. I usually eat simpler recipes with whole / unprocessed foods, like stir fry vegetables with brown rice, steel cut oats, etc. It's interesting to see these richer, more complex recipes that I would would consider for feast occasions. One that my wife does is lentil loaf, a vegan version of meatloaf.
PS: I just asked her, and she said the lentil loaf recipe is from the 1986 edition of Laurel's Kitchen and she uses steel cut oats instead of the nuts they call for.
That's great to hear. (y)
Sounds like instead of the oats your wife uses we instead use plain type of cereal like corn flakes or even crackers. We might have used oats over the years too.

Just about any beans you'd like to use. There may be some better than others though. Think we use black beans mostly but we were just discussing it & the wife said we have garbanzo beans to use if we make some "Vegan Loaf". I think you've prompted us to put this in the rotation... thanks!!

Flax seed
Nutrition yeast
Garlic & onion powder
black pepper
molasses
bell peppers
flour
tomato sauce
cooked rice
Ketchup on top & I like to sprinkle broken up saltine crackers on top.

RV Neighbor brought over some fruits and vegetables from the food bank. There was an odd piece in there and wife looked it up. The pear looking thing is what's called a Chayote. It's a fruit grown in Mexico, is sweet, and can be eaten raw or cooked. Never heard of it before but the wife quickly made up some breaded pieces along with organic cucumber and dipped in BBQ sauce. Thanks neighbor!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chayote

IMG_20240120_134534.jpg

IMG_20240120_134552.jpg

I'm all for eating a lot of plant food but I'm not a vegan. But I do make these vegan chocolate bars.

I'm all for eating a lot of plant food but I'm not a vegan. But I do make these vegan chocolate bars.

We've finally found some plant unsalted butter, from walmart, to use & make chocolate but you bring up an excellent idea to use Almond or my favorite Cashew butter. Thanks! I just seen Hershey's launched a plant chocolate bar...It's getting way too convenient for me HA!
Love it, always looking for good plant based recipes.

We like this one:

When I get back to the house in March I'm having the wife order up these ingredients. This looks fantastic!! We usually buy the plant based ground "Meat", which I've been trying to move away from, & this looks so much more healthier. Thanks for sharing.

This is the cocoa butter I use.

I've always wondered what Cocoa Butter looks like. I eat a lot of it in food products but never bought it off the shelf. Is it like peanut butter consistency? That's funny "Spoon included". It's ready to dig in 😄.

I've always wondered what Cocoa Butter looks like. I eat a lot of it in food products but never bought it off the shelf. Is it like peanut butter consistency? That's funny "Spoon included". It's ready to dig in 😄.
Cocoa butter looks like and has about the same consistency as white chocolate at room temperature. It starts to melt at ca 95°F. If you want to make chocolate that is solid at room temperature you should use cocoa butter but if you make freezer chocolate you can use coconut oil.

Cocoa butter looks like and has about the same consistency as white chocolate at room temperature. It starts to melt at ca 95°F. If you want to make chocolate that is solid at room temperature you should use cocoa butter but if you make freezer chocolate you can use coconut oil.
Great information. Last time I remember the wife putting it into the Refrigerator. We'll have to try to find some Cocoa butter.

Back