Copper-Zinc Imbalance & Plant-Based Diets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Copper-Zinc Imbalance : Unrecognized Consequence of Plant-Based Diets and a Contributor to Chronic Fatigue

By Laurie Warner, MA, CNC

A commonly reported consequence of vegetarian or vegan diets, or even diets that rely too heavily on plant foods, is chronic fatigue. Many sufferers subsequently embrace the principles enumerated by Weston Price, adopting a diet containing more nutrient-dense animal foods and fat; however, the fatigue often persists, even after considerable time on the new diet.

While Americans have been receiving a broad education on the nutritional value of plant foods, evidence has accumulated to indicate that diets that rely too heavily on plant food sources have special problems of their own. Those of us interested in traditional nutrition have become familiar with some of these, including fatty acid imbalances, B6 and B12 deficiencies, and untreated phytates in whole grains, legumes and nuts. As we continue to delve into these areas, the seriousness of these dietary imbalances continues to emerge.

Disruption of the copper-zinc ratio is an overlooked contributor to intractable fatigue that follows excessive reliance on a plant-based diet. The result is toxic accumulation of copper in tissues and critical depletion of zinc through excretion. This condition usually goes unrecognized because copper levels in the blood can remain normal. Also, most doctors are unprepared to meet with extreme zinc deficiency and its baffling effects on many systems of the body. Hair mineral analysis, competently used, is the tool which can unravel the complexities of this growing problem.

In particular, it is becoming clear that plant-based diets, and lighter diets generally, cause serious nutrient imbalances and long-term damage to digestion and cellular metabolism that are not easily corrected. This is of consequence for us in the traditional foods movement because we are asking people to return to higher density foods they may not have eaten for many years. Proper physiologic balance can be restored, but the period of transition in some cases may be longer and more difficult than we have anticipated.

An Unrecognized Danger

This article explores a major hurdle to dietary recovery, which has remained little-known, although an accessible book by Ann Louise Gittleman, MS, introduced the topic in 1999.1 The fact is that the micronutrient copper is widely available in unrefined foods,2 but the mineral zinc, needed in larger amounts to balance copper, can only reliably be obtained in optimum amounts from land-based animal foods, in particular eggs and red meats.3 These of course are among the foods that have been most stubbornly attacked by mainstream nutrition authorities. They are also among the foods lacto-vegetarians and others who have conscientiously adopted light diets have the most difficulty in reintroducing.

It is tragic that Americans who have been inspired to adopt healthier diets have been so harmfully misled by the anti-animal foods dogma, often against their better instincts. I myself was led into this trap in the mid 1970s, and have only found my way out of it in the last few years. Although I found the Weston A. Price Foundation material when it first appeared, and benefited from many of its suggestions, I was unable to consistently expand my diet, or even tolerate any fat, until I learned to recognize and apply the lessons of the copper-zinc imbalance. In fact, this imbalance could very well have killed me.

Controlling Copper

A brief survey of copper/zinc imbalance will show why this condition can be so serious. Copper is an essential trace mineral, but it is needed only in minute amounts. It works in a paired relationship with zinc, sometimes in complement and sometimes opposing. Copper is present in most foods, and is also absorbed from the environment.4,5 When zinc is present in abundance, and when there is enough quality protein available to bind it,6 copper can be handled freely, and the excess can be readily excreted trough the bile.7,8

When the diet is lacking in zinc and protein, however—and in fats to promote bile production —use of high-copper foods, and environmental copper, primarily ingested through our water, promote buildup of copper in our tissues.9 The late Carl C. Pfeiffer PhD, MD, formerly of the Brain-Bio Center in Princeton, New Jersey, has provided us with the most comprehensive overview of nutritional problems associated with copper and zinc in his classic study Mental and Elemental Nutrients.10 As he succinctly puts it, "Deficiency of zinc accentuates copper excess."11

Here we have a classic dilemma of the medical flight from traditional diets. In lighter diets generally, and in heavily plant-based diets in particular, zinc is sharply reduced relative to copper,12 protein is curtailed, and fat is provided scantily at best. The excess copper that builds up in tissues is in unbound, inorganic form,13 highly immobile and creates a low-level toxicity that interferes with many body systems. Particularly affected are the liver and digestion,14 which are already hampered by increasing deficiency of zinc. As bile function and digestive vigor decline, difficulty with meat and fat develops. Legions of light-diet and vegetarian adherents feel justified in their choices because heavier food becomes unpalatable to them.15

The Grain Connection

We can quickly recognize a connection here that is particularly relevant to traditional foods nutrition. The copper-zinc ratio in grains is disturbed by refining.16 This ratio tends to be low in plant foods anyway,17 and is shifted further in favor of copper by the refining process.

In whole grains, as we know, phytates interfere with zinc absorption, so the net benefit from unrefined grains is always problematic, and probably very low in most cases, while copper, which is less affected by phytates than zinc,18 gains again in the copper-zinc ratio.

This loss of nutrients in grains, though serious, seems to have had less effect in past generations when much of the country still lived rurally and meat and eggs were liberally used.19 Current ideology, however, has shifted the burden of the diet to grains and other phytate-bearing foods and most people concerned with nutritional values of their food today have come to believe that these foods are reliable sources of both protein20 and zinc,21 resulting in poor protein nutrition, zinc deficiencies and build up of excess copper.

Modern Conditions

Even in 1975, Pfeiffer considered zinc status in most Americans to be borderline at best.22 After twenty-five years of vegetarianism and plant-based diets, it is doubtful our status today is even that optimistic. Too many other factors also work to increase copper and work against zinc. Zinc galvanized pipes have been replaced by copper pipes in many areas, which can be etched by slightly acidic water supplies.23 Birth control pills and other medications increase the retention of copper.24 Blanching of vegetables before commercial freezing removes zinc and many trace minerals,25 while copper is added to many multivitamins.26

There are numerous other factors contributing to this imbalance, but most devastatingly zinc is lost from our bodies every day when we are under stress.27 The more stress, the higher the losses, and yet zinc is needed in large amounts by our stress-resisting adrenal glands.28 When we are zinc-deficient our innate coping resources can start to unravel, and the grind of everyday stress can seem overwhelming.

Source

Very true.

One more thing, mostly plant food = high carb diet, big problems with type 2 diabetes.

There's a huge epidemics of diabetes in modern India with their vegeterian/vegan dietes.

Same in US when things got much worse when people were brainwashed to go on low fat diets.

The native Inuit culture had no words for "heart attack" as they were protected by eating high-fat, high-fish diets.

There are two really interesting documentaries out that if one is interested in should check out.

"Food Matters" and "Forks Over Knives"

You can get them on Netflix, Blockbuster or through Amazon.

Note the key trend here - sugars.

High sugar/starch-centric diets, like one must have with vegan/vegetarian to be satisfied effect things in a bad way. Our current American diet is ever-more filled with cheap starchy fillers too.

Couple this with Americans' favorite - red meat, and what do you get? All kinds of screwed up body chemistry, and a ton of excess fat too.

it seems that the article is trying to blame it on phosphorous bearing in grains (phytate), but I think it is purely the sugar aspect.

While I kind of get what is being claimed with respect to the rest of the vegetable consumption thing, I would say for myself, I need to do more research regarding the biochemistry.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
V
There's a huge epidemics of diabetes in modern India with their vegeterian/vegan dietes.

The native Inuit culture had no words for "heart attack" as they were protected by eating high-fat, high-fish diets.

But havent the Indian cultures been vegetarian/vegan for centuries/millenia? Arent some of the best longevity characteristics from the various Asian populations?

And just because Native Inuits dont have a word for it doesnt mean much, they may not have had the knowledge or experience to understand what happened to the deceased.

I'd be much more interested in seeing the results of a cadaver study of native Inuits vs. American/European/Indian diets.

I think part of it maybe the rice. I know the rice koreans eat is deadly from a sugar perspective and lots of koreans are getting type 2 diabetes due to the rice. The rice has been modified/bred for flavor and the sugar content is high and very easily absorbed into the body.

Looking at diet only to find the reasons behind our current health issues is myopic. One should look at the whole picture - how do we work, what do we eat and when, what do we do during our leisure time.

But if we look at only the diet part of our lifestyles, you don't need much of research to see that the vegans or vegetarians lead healthier and longer lives than the mainstream America.

All this data is wonderful applied to the general population. But it may or may not apply to the individual.

Most people do poorly on the high glycemic diets mentioned, but not all. Some people, like my wife, cannot digest red meat at all. I can eat it regularly with no ill effects.

A high NATURAL fat diet is beneficial to many like me, yet the 'diet police' have a fit when you say to eat saturated fats!

What heals you may kill me. No vegan anything here, please.

I was on a 100% vegan diet for 8 months of this year, and I think I got out just in time. I was told I have hidden toxic copper many years ago. I think it's an avenue I need to pursue.

Dr Wilson, from my other post, talk a lot of toxic copper levels.

re:
Quote:
Modern Conditions

Even in 1975, Pfeiffer considered zinc status in most Americans to be borderline at best.22 After twenty-five years of vegetarianism and plant-based diets, it is doubtful our status today is even that optimistic. Too many other factors also work to increase copper and work against zinc. Zinc galvanized pipes have been replaced by copper pipes in many areas, which can be etched by slightly acidic water supplies.23 Birth control pills and other medications increase the retention of copper.24 Blanching of vegetables before commercial freezing removes zinc and many trace minerals,25 while copper is added to many multivitamins.26

Why focus so much on the imaginary perils of the vegetarian diet? After all, the vegetarians are a very tiny portion of the US population. For the best bang, start posting articles like this about the mainstream diet.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

But havent the Indian cultures been vegetarian/vegan for centuries/millenia?

Yes, but there was a shortage of food, restricting carb intake before. Not anymore.

And just because Native Inuits dont have a word for it doesnt mean much, they may not have had the knowledge or experience to understand what happened to the deceased

Medical studies from Greenland documented Inuit died mostly from stroke and incidence of heart attack and diabetes was negligible. Now, "modern" diet brought both heart attack and diabetes to the same population.

You can easily find it out by googling.

For many people, the perils of a vegan diet are not imaginary. I feel that I either needed to change or face death in the not very distant future.

Many people seem to think that anything you buy in a health food store is healthy to eat in any quantity. Many people do not look at the long term picture of their health. What you eat today is how your health will be further on down the road, tomorrow, next week, and next year.

Scoot, you seem to be on a crusade against veganism or vegetarianism. Unfortunately, with your flimsy arguments, you actually strengthen the vegetarian outlook for life.

I'm not on a crusade. I stated what happened to me personally, and it's easy to find articles about what happened to me written by very intelligent competent people (although not "peer reviewed").

You may be a blood type O, the carbohydrate type, and if that's so, you may do OK on a vegetarian diet, I don't know, but blood type O (like I am) is the most common blood type and the most likely to fail on a vegetarian diet.

You can call Dr Wilson flimsy, and this article flimsy, but the fact is, Dr Wilson has seen 1000s of patients with low zinc / elevated copper syndrome and he knows a LOT more about it than we do. He's looking at the big picture, the LONG TERM effects of what we eat, not just the "how it tastes and how I feel right after I eat it" picture.

I tend to get along better with omnivores. A vegan blood type O talked me into trying vegetarianism, and every time I had a problem, she tried to write me off as if I was incompetent, just for the sake of her agenda to promote it on her forum. I was wrong to believe in her. I should have listened to my omnivore friends, and from now on, I will.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek

But havent the Indian cultures been vegetarian/vegan for centuries/millenia?

Yes, but there was a shortage of food, restricting carb intake before. Not anymore.

And just because Native Inuits dont have a word for it doesnt mean much, they may not have had the knowledge or experience to understand what happened to the deceased

Medical studies from Greenland documented Inuit died mostly from stroke and incidence of heart attack and diabetes was negligible. Now, "modern" diet brought both heart attack and diabetes to the same population.

You can easily find it out by googling.

So regarding the Indians then it was related to rice and thus high starch/sugar content foods. Its not a leafy greens issue per se.

Thanks for the comment on Inuit... interesting, but isnt a stroke more or less the same thing as heart attack, just in the brain???

two kinds of stroke. one is a burst vessel one is a clot blocking a vessel.

Either way not very good!

Anyone who reads the history can see the decline of the Inuit. It is so sad. Japanese and other ethnicities have also suffered as a result of 'big food' coming into their lives.

A good rule of thumb that is applicable to most is to eat more raw natural foods and fewer processed anything. Basically anything from the middle of the store is bad. No boxes or packages.

There was another phenomenon in India with dietary fat changing from butter/ghee to vegetable margarines.

Heart disease followed the change, almost as a wave...

Also, traditional "vegetarian" diets had a lot of animal fats and proteins in the forms of weevels and meal worms contaminating grain supplies.

Studies in mexico have shown that adding meal worm instead of oil in tortillas improve health markedly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back