Workout supplements.

Back in the day when I got Men's Health magazine in the mail, they actually recommended a glass of chocolate milk as a post workout drink.
Ha ha. I had that subscription, too. Thinking about it I don't know why we even bothered. Their advice about women was even worse. The only subscription I keep these days is Consumer Reports and I get Wall Street Journal through the university.

I also never eat any refined-sugar made sweets. When I get a sweet craving, it's almost always fruit. Last night I ate a couple plantains fried in peanut oil. Tonight I ate a couple platefuls of blueberries and cherries, and then some peanut butter.
It's always the peanut butter lol so tempting 190 calories per tablespoon it adds fast depending what goals you are achieving or numbers are at I believe it is the biggest difference maker is you have to know what that intake is at. Eat for cuts lift for gains.

Again, yes, I prefer actual studies to people's anecdotes like you do, but the purpose of these threads is to share these anecdotes, no matter if they are biased or not. For actual studies Google is your best friend.

After I became vegetarian (not vegan), I did notice a lack of strength. I then started taking creatine, which I didn't used to, and I got bigger and stronger than ever before despite not eating meat. So, creatine is important, especially if you don't eat meat. I tried stopping taking creatine, and I got very weak in two or three weeks and had some injuries because I was trying to lift the same weights as before.

5 g creatine is certainly a lot of creatine though. You only get about 1 g a day from eating a lot of meat. There are studies (Australian?) that shows that creatine raises dihydrotesterone, which is at least not good for your hair. When you get a blood test, you will also see high creatinine (creatine's afterproduct), which could alarm some doctors. In any case I don't think it is good to take 5 g a day indefinitely. I take 1 g a day even when I don't work out, which seems to help maintain muscle a little. When COVID is over, I will see if I can ever get back to where I was with only about 1.5 g a day.

Yeah, I wasn't really going on about creatine. I don't take any of that stuff. There's also the placebo effect. And I keep going on about how it all might be in your head. I think once I was working out and got a lift off from someone and at one point I thought he was still helping on the bar as it seemed easier and I was annoyed but couldn't really see him. When I was done and looked around, he was no where in sight, it was all me. That's why I say it might just be in your head. That's why studies are important and anecdotal evidence is easy to dismiss.

Yeah, I wasn't really going on about creatine. I don't take any of that stuff. There's also the placebo effect. And I keep going on about how it all might be in your head. I think once I was working out and got a lift off from someone and at one point I thought he was still helping on the bar as it seemed easier and I was annoyed but couldn't really see him. When I was done and looked around, he was no where in sight, it was all me. That's why I say it might just be in your head. That's why studies are important and anecdotal evidence is easy to dismiss.
Well, creatine is not a placebo effect. It's tried-and-true from my experience as well as those of many other people I know, and it has also been demonstrated (against the placebo) by numerous scientific studies. It is the most scientifically studied weightlifting supplement ever.

However, if you eat meat, you probably don't really need it. Obviously your own body produces it as well. If you are vegetarian, you probably need it if you want to achieve your full strength potential unless there are other supplements to make up for it. As I said earlier, I would avoid doses higher than 2 g a day and keep it around 1 g if it still works. As with any artificial supplement, you have more peace of mind if you don't take it. There have been some scientific studies that creatine may help improve vegetarians' health; so, perhaps it's not necessarily a villain.

Well, creatine is not a placebo effect. It's tried-and-true from my experience as well as those of many other people I know, and it has also been demonstrated (against the placebo) by numerous scientific studies. It is the most scientifically studied weightlifting supplement ever.

However, if you eat meat, you probably don't really need it. Obviously your own body produces it as well. If you are vegetarian, you probably need it if you want to achieve your full strength potential unless there are other supplements to make up for it. As I said earlier, I would avoid doses higher than 2 g a day and keep it around 1 g if it still works. As with any artificial supplement, you have more peace of mind if you don't take it. There have been some scientific studies that creatine may help improve vegetarians' health; so, perhaps it's not necessarily a villain.
The hair thing scares me! Hopefully at 51 (almost 52) seeing that I still have this shaggy curly mop on top of my head, it's here to stay!!:D

Ha ha. I had that subscription, too. Thinking about it I don't know why we even bothered. Their advice about women was even worse. The only subscription I keep these days is Consumer Reports and I get Wall Street Journal through the university.
Man I really miss getting those!! I'd always take them to work and read them on my lunch break.

The hair thing scares me! Hopefully at 51 (almost 52) seeing that I still have this shaggy curly mop on top of my head, it's here to stay!!:D
This is the infamous South African rugby player study.

Back in the day when I got Men's Health magazine in the mail, they actually recommended a glass of chocolate milk as a post workout drink.

I think they have cracked the code....

... milk is undrinkable unless chocolate.

Ovaltine is "OKAY" NesQuik is my go-to and I just don't like Hershey's all that much.

I think they have cracked the code....

... milk is undrinkable unless chocolate.

Ovaltine is "OKAY" NesQuik is my go-to and I just don't like Hershey's all that much.
My fave is Carnation chocolate malted milk.

My fave is Carnation chocolate malted milk.

Yep that one is good too

Can do Ovaltine
May have had Carnation maybe once. Maybe it was Ovaltine and I forget
NesQuik my fav
Hershey's is NO! And I don't care if it IS from Hershey PA. Been there. I prefer Latrobe for famous PA towns...

As to protein, I snack on Slim Jim's when cost permits and chicken and cheese j eat a lot of.

Taking the supplement is necessary when doing sports. I've been going to the gym for four years now, but I haven't seen any results for the first two years. I decided that I needed the help of a sports coach. He gave me a special training program, a diet, and told me to take supplements and vitamins. You know, he was right. In addition to seeing changes in my body, I was also able to improve the health of my muscles and nervous system. Based on personal experience, I recommend taking supplements if you want to strengthen your body. Do not forget to take the correct dosage.

Taking the supplement is necessary when doing sports. I've been going to the gym for four years now, but I haven't seen any results for the first two years. I decided that I needed the help of a sports coach. He gave me a special training program, a diet, and told me to take supplements and vitamins. You know, he was right. In addition to seeing changes in my body, I was also able to improve the health of my muscles and nervous system. Based on personal experience, I recommend taking supplements if you want to strengthen your body. Do not forget to take the correct dosage.
What supplements and vitamins are you taking?

Anyone use these when working out? I make a mix of either whey protein powder-Muscle Milk powder,creatine,biotin,and collagen with a glass of milk after lifting weights.

What’s everyone else’s workout recipes?
Whey protein in the amount of 1 gm per pound of body weight is a long standing standard.

I'm also taking:
BCAAs
collagen
Turmeric (to reduce joint inflammation and pain)
sometimes a multivitamin, but likely not needed

Work out 3-day split cycle currently
On a pre-summer bulking phase
4,000 calories per day

Eat big, lift big

Keep working out!

And you need a trainer and coaches too. We all need support for any serious fitness program.

Attachments

• oldguy.jpg
    oldguy.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 9

Is this a shameless plug?

Back