Anyone Workout/Run/Lift Weights?

Status
Not open for further replies.
cool.gif
(Inspector Clouseau accent) Not any mooore. Had surgery in April to remove a bone spur on my right elbow, after golf is done this summer I'll get the left one done. Doctor says it's probably from lifting weights. I eat sensibly and keep my weight down. The greyhound gets a 20 min walk a day, plus in the summer the way I ride my jetski is a workout, but again, this summer has been a little slower since my elbow is not full strength yet. Blew up the engine last week though.
mad.gif
Extended warranty expired in May, the engine expired in July.
mad.gif
mad.gif

My job can be physical too. I'm 43, 6'1", 175.

[ July 17, 2004, 08:57 AM: Message edited by: JohnnyO ]

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:

Now, if I could just find some good cardio program that doesn't entail running.

Have you got a gym where you can use a good eliptical cross trainer? They are easy on the joints and can be set for as much resistance as you want.

Mola and shortyb,
I've been practicing and teaching martial arts (Kenpo and Aikido) for donkey's years. The most aerobic workout I ever got without running, was running all the kata back to back (in our system this was 22), or in medium contact sparring( not that game of tag tournament stuff either).
I've given Kenpo a rest lately, I enjoy partner and solo training with the jo these days.

Seagal was running a well-respected Dojo in Osaka, and he's supposedly very good, as far as technique. But there is more to Aikido, or most martial arts than technique, and unfortunately, I don't think he gets it anymore.
He treated his Japanese wife badly, and has been known to stretch the truth until it moans.
A lot of the stuff in his movies is not Aikido, but you have to film what people want to see.
As you can see, he's kind of an overweight guy these days.
My wife, and most everybody I've ever spoken to who is actually from Japan consider him to be a ******* .

quote:

but I have had good luck with the "Slow Weights" program in which you move the weights in your routine verrry slowly. Kinda like slow motion power lifting.

Molekule, this is extremely effective. I have done this and it works. Contorlling the weights and usin very slow reps works. I only do curls and push ups now and apply the same method as I did when I belonged to a gym.

MarkC, is Steven Seagal the real deal like many say he is? I heard he is the only American to ever teach Akido in Japan. I love his fight scenes. The best IMO.

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:

quote:

quote:Originally posted by moribundman:
Work out? Why'd I wanna die in top shape? [Razz]

What makes me laugh are people who drive to the gym.

Don't need to answer that question for you. You'll answer it yourself during the last two, three, maybe five years of your life that you and your debilitated body spend in a nursing home going through a couple boxes of Depends undergarments per day. [Razz] [Razz]

Maybe so, but at least I'll have that nifty scooter while you have your colostomy bag attached to a crummy walker.
wink.gif

. . . not with the amount of fiber that I ingest every day. We can debate whether or not 5w-20 or Group-III syns are part of an evil conspiracy all day long, but one thing's for sure -- we're all going to drop sooner or later. Certainly, something's going to get me eventually, but it's not likely going to be a corroded "exhaust system," as mine gets a pretty good workout every day along with the rest of me.
wink.gif

'Milo' is the best periodical that I've run across on strength training, which is different than 'body building'. A lot of feats of strength involve muscles and connective tissue that you don't see from the front, like hamstrings and back, but you'll see most males in the gym spending lots of time doing curls and bench presses. Too much time looking at 'Muscle and Fiction' on the magazine stands I guess. One article in Milo that I recall was by a strength trainer at Johns Hopkins, who recalled that at one time the 'ego lift' was the standing military, where 200 lbs seperated the men from the boys. I'm still a boy I guess :^) He observed that among the people that he trained the ones who could do 300 lbs on a standing military press all could bench 400 lbs even though they didn't train at bench pressing, but people who benched 400 lbs and didn't train with the overhead couldn't do 300 lbs. The standing military evidently provides better 'transfer of strength' to other activities, like chins do over pushups.

I have come to prefer a basic 'core body' program, around squats, different deadlifts, standing military, chins, and sometimes additional grip or 'foo foo stuff' like rotater cuff or curls, all with free weights. For fun I like to do cleans and clean and press. I use to alternate days of cardio and strength but when time got short I combined them into a routine of cardio, stretching, and weights. From my observations everyone does some sort of deadlift often, be loading groceries in the car, bags on concrete in the truck, puting sleeping kids in bed, etc., so by making sure that your daily activities are less than the stress that you apply in the gym you'll avoid back problems. I also find that grip work, like a farmer's walk with a body weight of dumbbells, holds carpal tunnel at bay.

The tough balance is between weights and cardio, as the Marines taught me that you always have to be able to do the runs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back