Which of the top 3-4 company makes the 'most synthetic' oil?

sorry if this has been discussed tons of times but I am curious which of the top brand oils are considered the most synthetic as in are made of the higher quality oils?
i know in the end of the day, the final product matters more compared to what base oil was used etc etc, this is just for discussion sake

Lets say we are comparing the following: I will try my best to compare the apples to apple comparison. we will use 0w20 for discussion sake
Castrol Edge 0W20
Pennzoil Platinum 0W20
Mobil 0W20 synthetic normal grey bottle
Quaker State Full Syn 0W20

i am trying to ask which contain the most group 4 or group 5 oils because i assume they are contain mostly group 3 right?

So which would you say is more of a synthetic oil which would I believe also mean is technically the "higher quality" oil.
Since we'll never know the true formulation of any of those products, for no reason other than brand loyalty, I'd pick my oil based on that. Of the choices you listed I'd run the XOM product, a few years back it would have been Pennzoil.

So which would you say is more of a synthetic oil which would I believe also mean is technically the "higher quality" oil.
Which doesn't necessarily mean highest performing in your particular auto.

Here’s a cocktail for ‘ya

B5EED71F-075E-4BF0-901B-67276DA83B4B.png

Last edited:
Hard subject to cover on a website where some think Blackstone provides comprehensive scientific data rather than basic data for a cause. Does anyone think one major can’t fingerprint another formula (within a reasonable range).

And how about some deductive reasoning ? Why did Mobil ever put a majority PAO in a $30 jug? Marketing in the PVL world is “claims” … and they were willing to put that right on the jug. I see that as a positive

Yup, when we are talking percentage ranges, this is what is being referenced. Which is consistent with what's spelled out in what I quoted from OSHA.

Here is one from Royal Purple:

View attachment 34988
Explain how 0-90% on the Pennzoil SDS is compliant with what you quoted from OSHA. You can cherry pick SDS’s but the truth of the matter is they’re unreliable at best as to the percentages
AMSOIL gives some generous ranges as well. The below shows 10-30% PAO for the whole SS series:

View attachment 34993

sorry if this has been discussed tons of times but I am curious which of the top brand oils are considered the most synthetic as in are made of the higher quality oils?
i know in the end of the day, the final product matters more compared to what base oil was used etc etc, this is just for discussion sake

Lets say we are comparing the following: I will try my best to compare the apples to apple comparison. we will use 0w20 for discussion sake
Castrol Edge 0W20
Pennzoil Platinum 0W20
Mobil 0W20 synthetic normal grey bottle
Quaker State Full Syn 0W20

i am trying to ask which contain the most group 4 or group 5 oils because i assume they are contain mostly group 3 right?

Explain how 0-90% on the Pennzoil SDS is compliant with what you quoted from OSHA. You can cherry pick SDS’s but the truth of the matter is they’re unreliable at best as to the percentages

That Shell PDS is sufficiently vague in the product being referenced that the range is likely accurate. I could accuse you of cherry picking as well, with that Shell SDS. You, I assume intentionally, chose one that doesn't reference a specific product and are using that to try and prop up your claim that ranges provided on SDS sheets that do reference specific compounds, like Mobil is doing, are wholly invalid/irrelevant based on that interpretation. On top of that you are now using "the truth of the matter" as if your anonymous claims here carry more weight than what OSHA has stated. Sorry, I've got zero interest in buying what you are selling, but I do applaud you for your efforts.

Nobody is claiming that an SDS is a recipe. It simply, in some cases, gives an idea as to some of the base oils used in the blend. PAO seems to regularly show up, as does GTL, as they appear to need to be called out as hazards. The ranges are usually broad enough that they are really only useful for saying something like "Mobil uses up to perhaps 70% PAO in this oil". With absolutely no idea as to what constitutes the rest of the product. That's all they are ever used for here, as that info is better than nothing.

Bases like XOM's POE's and other ester products don't appear to ever get mentioned, I assume because they don't present a hazard. So, going back to the AMSOIL example, POE could make up a significant chunk of the rest of that base oil blend and we wouldn't have a clue.

Last edited:
The SDS is there to tell the respective agencies and responders how to prepare and work with a exposure or spill or fire involving the particular substance. That’s all. Trying to figure out a particular brand’s base oil properties is a lost cause here.

The SDS is there to tell the respective agencies and responders how to prepare and work with a exposure or spill or fire involving the particular substance. That’s all. Trying to figure out a particular brand’s base oil properties is a lost cause here.

I don't think anybody is doing that, or claiming that it provides that level of detail. As I noted above, these sheets aren't recipes, but they do sometimes provide some extremely rough information on PAO and GTL base oil content in some lubricants, which is interesting information. Of course what the rest of the product is comprised of is proprietary, and you won't get any useful information on that from an SDS.

Nothing is truly synthetic anyway. Still all is made of naturally occurring materials. People can't make anything in the purist sense. So we combine them or react them, so what. We are so full of ourselves as humans. If we read the bottles, every oil says they are the best at everything. I trust all the major name brands who have good testing and quality control. Waiting to see whats on rebate next time. It comes down to Pennzoil or Mobil pretty much. Or Costco, their oil on sale is like with rebate. There, more to argue about.

We are at the mercy of oil companies using hazardous PAO so we can brag about the oil we have in the sump 🤣

Back