Which of the top 3-4 company makes the 'most synthetic' oil?

The percentages given are always ranges, not specific amounts, there is nothing proprietary being divulged in that process. If XOM says M1 EP 0w-20 SDS lists 50-70% PAO in it, that's a pretty broad fudge factor.
They could also say 50-70% PAO and it actually only be 5%. Nothing requires an accurate range under a trade secret claim exemption on the SDS.

They could also say 50-70% PAO and it actually only be 5%. Nothing requires an accurate range under a trade secret claim exemption on the SDS.
Or when that hits the shelf … it does not sell. And there are plenty here that point the “fake finger” … but don’t buy the high priced lubes …

This doesn't seem to support that:
Question 1: Is it allowable to claim and list an ingredient as trade secret in section 3 of the SDS if it is an actual range (e.g., 10-15%) due to substantially similar mixtures, or batch to batch variability? Can an actual range (10-15%) be masked with a wider range (e.g., 10-30%) and be claimed as trade secret? Can an ingredient concentration such as ≤5% be masked and replaced with trade secret instead of the value?

Response: The HCS allows a manufacturer or importer to indicate on the SDS that the specific chemical identity and/or the exact percentage of composition of a hazardous ingredient is being withheld as a trade secret. A manufacturer or importer may not claim trade secret status for a concentration range and is prohibited from masking the true range by use of a wider range. If a concentration range is used on the SDS it must be limited in terms of the percentage concentration variation (i.e., the narrowest range possible), and the variation in concentration must have no effect on the hazard of the mixture. The HCS does not prohibit the use of symbols, such as ≥ or quote]

And clearly, since XOM is identifying PAO as the base in use, they aren't trying to hide it under a trade secret.

This doesn't seem to support that:

And clearly, since XOM is identifying PAO as the base in use, they aren't trying to hide it under a trade secret.
Some may be more forthcoming in their ranges than others. Maybe not too. No possible way of knowing the truth. I’ve seen many ranges simply <90% of whatever. The main thing is that they list the hazard and regardless of percentage that it doesn’t make it more hazardous.

Okay sure.
1606267900012.png

just an example of a company playing fast and loose with the percentages. 0-90%. That’s quite the range.

E
Didn’t say it was. I think we’re talking past one another here. I’m simply saying that you can’t take these percentage ranges and assume they are correct.
I'd assume 0-90 is correct. Most likely 50-70% is also correct.

Back