Pictures of a Sludged 2009 Murano with 15k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tig1
Where's Johnny248? He needs to provide info about this engine. I suspect there is way more miles on this engine than 15K. With the quality os dino oil these days there's no way this kind of sludge could happen this quickly.

Owner bought it from us. Car was sold 12/08. It was brought in for service on 7/16/10. The customer changed the oi for the first time right before it was brought in for service. The car was brought in because it was smoking like crazy. Massive blow by past oil rings that were worn and scored from lack of lubrication.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: HangerHarley
You suspect a changed cluster - hadnt thought of that
thumbsup2.gif

So it has 215,168 miles.
thumbsup2.gif

I have also seen people yank their odometer/speedometer lead in an attempt to avoid accruing miles while on warranty. All we see is a messy engine that claims 15,000 miles. As others have pointed out, we don't know anything about coolant contamination, and we certainly have no independent confirmation that 15,000 miles was the actual amount driven. But, as all those who fail to do maintenance, it "must" have been changed every 3,000 miles.

the mileage is accurate. If you saw the rest of the vehicle you would see that there is no way this car has a ton of miles on it.No coolant found in the oil. Why is everyone so quite to assume that and engine can not fail with 15k and 2 years on the oil?

How many times in a day Johnny248 do we tell people to change their oil? I love when they try to sneak something past you and then don't have any evidence that ANYTHING was done.

On a side note:
I have a guy here with a mazda 3 with an engine knock and aftermarket warranty (bought from us) and has his oil changed with Mobil 1 with extended intervals. His warranty company denied him because he has gone past the maint intervals.

I don't care what an oil company says, if you have a warranty you better follow the rules.

Originally Posted By: Johnny248
thumbsup2.gif

So it has 215,168 miles.
thumbsup2.gif

I have also seen people yank their odometer/speedometer lead in an attempt to avoid accruing miles while on warranty. All we see is a messy engine that claims 15,000 miles. As others have pointed out, we don't know anything about coolant contamination, and we certainly have no independent confirmation that 15,000 miles was the actual amount driven. But, as all those who fail to do maintenance, it "must" have been changed every 3,000 miles.

the mileage is accurate. If you saw the rest of the vehicle you would see that there is no way this car has a ton of miles on it.No coolant found in the oil. Why is everyone so quite to assume that and engine can not fail with 15k and 2 years on the oil?

I'm surprised that the check engine light wasn't on with the VVT codes.

Where's Johnny248? He needs to provide info about this engine. I suspect there is way more miles on this engine than 15K. With the quality os dino oil these days there's no way this kind of sludge could happen this quickly.

Owner bought it from us. Car was sold 12/08. It was brought in for service on 7/16/10. The customer changed the oi for the first time right before it was brought in for service. The car was brought in because it was smoking like crazy. Massive blow by past oil rings that were worn and scored from lack of lubrication.

WOW! This engine may have had defects from the factory. Sure is odd.

Originally Posted By: SpAzZ
thumbsup2.gif

So it has 215,168 miles.
thumbsup2.gif

I'm surprised that the check engine light wasn't on with the VVT codes.

It did.. Sorry, forgot that

Why is it that odd to not take care of your engine and have something like this happen? I don't understand?!?!? I see this on a monthly basis with people who don't take care of their vehicles and want the factory to help out.

Must have defects, no way would a engine be ruined from lack of maintenance....pssh

I don't care what an oil company says, if you have a warranty you better follow the rules.

That about says it all! Save the extended drains and neglect for after the warranty is up. I would not want to go through the red tape of having an oil company taking my back because I used their so call extended drain products and had an engine failure. That is not the case here but could easily have been. This is neglect.

All the guy with the Nissan had to do was 3 oil changes in those 15,000 miles and I bet we wouldn't be having this conversation today.

What oil does Nissan use in those things for a FF?

Am I to assume that the owner will now be paying for a rebuild? :)

You've got to wonder what's going through the minds of these boneheads who don't do even the basics in terms of maintenance and then wonder why they're getting bent over the couch when their abuse comes home to roost.

The quickie oil change prior to bringing it in for "warranty service" is a nice touch though. :)

Originally Posted By: VNTS
Doesnt work that way anymore, the body control modules and TCm and can tell when a cluster has been removed and new one installed, leaves behind codes and what not. In most the cluster wont even work unless a tech goes in programs the vin and matches up the mileage.

"Any more"? Not for a long time. My 1998 (1995/1996 design) BMW has the VIN coded into every module and the odo reading coded into several on board modules (to some degree of precision - could be +- 500miles). If there's a disagreement a tamper light is illuminated and the details can be read out of the car.

Sure there are people with the gear and knowledge to get around it, but it's far from your average grandma who swapped a cluster.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

That about says it all! Save the extended drains and neglect for after the warranty is up. I would not want to go through the red tape of having an oil company taking my back because I used their so call extended drain products and had an engine failure. That is not the case here but could easily have been. This is neglect.

All the guy with the Nissan had to do was 3 oil changes in those 15,000 miles and I bet we wouldn't be having this conversation today.

What oil does Nissan use in those things for a FF?

I'm not sure what the FF is for Nissan. I think and the key work is THINK it is mobil oil.

Originally Posted By: Familyguy

You've got to wonder what's going through the minds of these boneheads who don't do even the basics in terms of maintenance and then wonder why they're getting bent over the couch when their abuse comes home to roost.

The quickie oil change prior to bringing it in for "warranty service" is a nice touch though. :)

Believe it or not going to the quick oil place right before is a common practice. The customer usually shows up with the one reciept and yelling that they have done their oil changes...yeah the ONE oil change. Too late!

Another common practice is to come in after the warranty has expired (for anything..like let's say a tie rod end) and say it has been happening for 6 months and 10K miles... or whatever and want it covered. Their excuse, no time to bring it in.

I sometimes wonder what people think.

oems would save themselves X amount of headaches if they just filled with synthetic at the factory.

Originally Posted By: Craig in Canada
Originally Posted By: VNTS
Doesnt work that way anymore, the body control modules and TCm and can tell when a cluster has been removed and new one installed, leaves behind codes and what not. In most the cluster wont even work unless a tech goes in programs the vin and matches up the mileage.

"Any more"? Not for a long time. My 1998 (1995/1996 design) BMW has the VIN coded into every module and the odo reading coded into several on board modules (to some degree of precision - could be +- 500miles). If there's a disagreement a tamper light is illuminated and the details can be read out of the car.

Sure there are people with the gear and knowledge to get around it, but it's far from your average grandma who swapped a cluster.

All cars vary. There are still plenty of cars that you can swap clusters on.

Originally Posted By: Familyguy

Long story, customer did not pay for his new engine. Nissan recommends 3,750 and 7,500 for their intervals. Judging by the amount of engin problems I see, I would not run any oil more than 4k if it was my Nissan. Not saying that some oils will no last longer, but wh take the risk when you are talking about $20 for an oil change??

Johnny,

Any idea what Nissan is using as the factory fill? The manual for my Frontier just says something along the lines of "your engine is filled with a quality motor oil at the factory, there is no need to change the oil until your first OCI"

I changed mine at 3,500 miles.

BTW - To bad he changed the oil first, I would love to see what that OEM Chinese oil filter looked like with 15K/24months on it!

Johnny248 Long story said:
Following the OM saves lots of headaches. $20 for an oil change is cheap insurance in my book. Oil and filters are cheap, engines aren't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back