Jeep 3.7l Engine Oil

I inherited a 2009 Jeep Liberty 3.7l with 40k on the odometer. I have read that the 3.7l can have problems with engine oiling in different ways and sludging. We used to have an older KJ which called for 5w30. This 2009 specs 5w20. Would there be any benefit running 5w30 vs 5w20 at normal intervals? I would assume (and you know what they say about that) the 5w20 switch was for efficiency / fuel economy? I just want to do my best to make sure I don't run into any avoidable problems with this engine which isn't generally held in the highest regard.

I'd vote for m1 0w-40. Helps with deposits and is great for these older engines. And you'd never run into an issue.

I have an 08 with the same engine. I use ESP 5W30 in mine and change it every 5K miles. I'm not a fan of 5W20 in that application.

My 2006 Commander has been fed a steady diet of 5W30 oil with no issues. Currently , it’s using up the remaining Mobil AP in my stash. First time I’ve heard of sludge issues with this engine. Probably on engines maintained at the local lube shop!

JavierH19,

demarpaint,​

Thanks for the suggestions. These are the Euro oils?
This is from XOM:
Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 carries recommendations for a wide range of passenger cars, SUVs and light vans. It is designed for modern high efficiency gasoline, diesel and hybrid cars from Porsche, Volkswagen, Mercedes-Benz and General Motors, as well as for Japanese and Korean vehicles that specifically call for a SAE 0W-30 viscosity grade and any of the specifications the oil supports, allowing for extended oil change intervals where recommended by the manufacturer.

• Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 is a low ash content (ACEA C3 mid SAPS) engine oil to help protect exhaust gas after-treatment systems designed to limit engine emissions.

• Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 is especially suitable for extreme conditions*.

• Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 is not recommended for 2-Cycle or aviation engines, unless specifically approved by the manufacturer.

My 2006 Commander has been fed a steady diet of 5W30 oil with no issues. Currently , it’s using up the remaining Mobil AP in my stash. First time I’ve heard of sludge issues with this engine. Probably on engines maintained at the local lube shop!
This is what I read. There are several similar websites. The '05 we had was traded in with around 60k. It never had any engine issues other that the oil pan rotting.

Dodge 3.7L PowerTech Common Problems

• Valve Seat Failure
  • Stuck Lifters / Lash Adjusters
  • Piston Ring Landings
  • PCV Valve

This is from XOM:
Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 carries recommendations for a wide range of passenger cars, SUVs and light vans. It is designed for modern high efficiency gasoline, diesel and hybrid cars from Porsche, Volkswagen, Mercedes-Benz and General Motors, as well as for Japanese and Korean vehicles that specifically call for a SAE 0W-30 viscosity grade and any of the specifications the oil supports, allowing for extended oil change intervals where recommended by the manufacturer.

• Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 is a low ash content (ACEA C3 mid SAPS) engine oil to help protect exhaust gas after-treatment systems designed to limit engine emissions.

• Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 is especially suitable for extreme conditions*.

• Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 is not recommended for 2-Cycle or aviation engines, unless specifically approved by the manufacturer.
Thank you!

This is what I read. There are several similar websites. The '05 we had was traded in with around 60k. It never had any engine issues other that the oil pan rotting.

Dodge 3.7L PowerTech Common Problems

• Valve Seat Failure
  • Stuck Lifters / Lash Adjusters
  • Piston Ring Landings
  • PCV Valve

First time I’ve heard of this. I belong to a group of Jeep owners, many of them with this engine in various Jeep models…………..I don’t recall this being brought up as a “common” issue. Again, maybe amongst those who don’t maintain their vehicle!

*edit: The valve seat issue is common…..only on engines that have overheated!

First time I’ve heard of this. I belong to a group of Jeep owners, many of them with this engine in various Jeep models…………..I don’t recall this being brought up as a “common” issue. Again, maybe amongst those who don’t maintain their vehicle!
I'm about 75 miles shy of 100K on mine. No problems to report. I had to replace a water pump, that was the extent of the repairs in close to 15 years of ownership. The engine is pretty simple, easy to work on, not that powerful, not good on gas, but it gets the job done. ;) IMO with a little care it will last a very long time.

Last edited:

*edit: The valve seat issue is common…..only on engines that have overheated!
I don't know much truth there is to it all. I'm not an expert on Jeeps.

I'm about 75 miles shy of 100K on mine. No problems to report. I had to replace a water pump, that was the extent of the repairs in close to 15 years of ownership. The engine is pretty simple, easy to work on, not that powerful, not good on gas, but it gets the job done. ;) IMO with a little care it will last a very long time.
Yep! This '09 had the water pump replaced also. It's not powerful. Would probably be much better without a 42RLE in it. I actually don't mind driving it though. It has character? It's just amazing how much different it is to drive than my '11 Ram 1500, which isn't a brand new truck either. I've averaged close to 19mph with it the last few tanks. Mostly hwy.

Reactions: wlk
A family friend got her dad’s 04 Ram with the 3.7 and 212K+. The dad maintained it well, but likely used the cheapest oil/filters he could find. It ran great until an accident took it out. I have an 04 Ram with the related 4.7 V8 and 107K… it still sounds like new, and it has lived on 5k OCIs of Mobil 1 5w-30, various oil filters and 50K PCV valve changes. I was warned beforehand about sludge and PCV issues on this family of engines.

Yep! This '09 had the water pump replaced also. It's not powerful. Would probably be much better without a 42RLE in it. I actually don't mind driving it though. It has character? It's just amazing how much different it is to drive than my '11 Ram 1500, which isn't a brand new truck either. I've averaged close to 19mph with it the last few tanks. Mostly hwy.
Speaking of the 42rle, which I had to replace at 107k miles, over maintain it. If it doesn't have an external transmission cooler add one to it. If me I would siphon the pan and refill the trans fluid every 15k miles.

Probably check every single piece of rubber under the hood, head gaskets, etc, and run a High Mileage oil in general even though it may not be high mileage, rubber tends to degrade over time and crack

I inherited a 2009 Jeep Liberty 3.7l with 40k on the odometer. I have read that the 3.7l can have problems with engine oiling in different ways and sludging. We used to have an older KJ which called for 5w30. This 2009 specs 5w20. Would there be any benefit running 5w30 vs 5w20 at normal intervals? I would assume (and you know what they say about that) the 5w20 switch was for efficiency / fuel economy? I just want to do my best to make sure I don't run into any avoidable problems with this engine which isn't generally held in the highest regard.

IMO you are worrying over nothing. We have a 2005 Jeep GC with the 3.7L in it and was my DD for many years. Jeep has been abused by 2 teenagers, overheated and still runs. I have used everything from M1, Supertech to Citgo in it. All 5w30 synthetic oils with Mopar or Motorcraft filters. The Jeep will roll past 190K this months when the boy brings it home from college.

My other son has a 2009 with 115K on it and still no issues.

My advise, use a 5w30 full synthetic oil and don't worry about it.

Just my $0.02

Currently on a 2005 GC with the 4.7 and no issues using 5w30, both Valvoline HM and Havoline HM.

Previously had a 2002 Ram Truck the 4.7 engine also...and put 220k miles on that engine without a lick of trouble (other than water pump and fuel pump replacement). It strictly got 5w30 Pennz YB or Mobil 1.

I'm with everyone else. My most recent WJ had the 4.7 (nothing more than a 3.7 plus 2 cylinders), and it used less than a quart every 5k miles at 250k on a steady diet of cheap semi-syn 5W30. Still had 40 PSI of oil pressure at idle on 100 degree days.

Back