Pennzoil 0w40 ok in Jeep Liberty?

Afternoon folks!

The Jeep (2012 Liberty, 3.7L V6) is due for an oil change and I have 6qts of Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0w40 left over and need to use up. Typically I use 5w30 over the specified 5w20. I know most 0w40's are close to a 30wt anyways, but still gonna ask if you think it's safe to use it up in it. Like I said, owners manual states 5w20. What you all say folks?

I don't know if I would go that far from the recommended weight. Maybe run that in the Eagle Talon. It should have been speced for 5w30. at 237K miles on that engine a little heavier oil should make it happy.

I don't know if I would go that far from the recommended weight. Maybe run that in the Eagle Talon. It should have been speced for 5w30. at 237K miles on that engine a little heavier oil should make it happy.

I kinda debated that, but I was thinking of going to a 5 or 15w40 HDEO for that. Reason I want to use up the Euro 0w40 in the Jeep is to save gma a little bit of money. Already have some filters for it, just need oil.

My Dakota with the same 3.7L engine has run fine on the occasional Xw-40 fill I've put in it (ISTR getting a really good deal on Rotella T6 or whatever the predecessor was in about 2008, and using it as a result).

I don't think the 40 weight is necessarily a *good* thing to do in the long term, since it's not the specified viscosity, but I seriously doubt it'll hurt for a change or two either.

The manufacturer specifies 30 weight, which indicates a certain range of viscosities, and that's what everything oil-related is engineered to work best with. So for example, if your engine uses oil to cool some part, it's expecting oil of a certain viscosity to be flowing past at a specific rate to cool properly. Switching the viscosity out of that range may mean less flow, or maybe more force to be overcome for the oil pump and everything else. You might not see performance problems, but you may see economy issues or temp issues. I wouldn't be surprised if 40 weight is within the tolerances of the engine, but why fool with it in the long term? It doesn't buy you anything for the added uncertainty and risk, unless you're in the "thicker oil is necessarily better" camp, and even then, it's debatable.

That's why I said it's fine for an OCI to use it up- it's not likely to hurt anything, but it's not better than what's specified, and may well be worse.

Afternoon folks!

The Jeep (2012 Liberty, 3.7L V6) is due for an oil change and I have 6qts of Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0w40 left over and need to use up. Typically I use 5w30 over the specified 5w20. I know most 0w40's are close to a 30wt anyways, but still gonna ask if you think it's safe to use it up in it. Like I said, owners manual states 5w20. What you all say folks?
Go for it I run 0w40 all the time in my Toyota’s.

The manufacturer specifies 30 weight, which indicates a certain range of viscosities, and that's what everything oil-related is engineered to work best with. So for example, if your engine uses oil to cool some part, it's expecting oil of a certain viscosity to be flowing past at a specific rate to cool properly. Switching the viscosity out of that range may mean less flow, or maybe more force to be overcome for the oil pump and everything else. You might not see performance problems, but you may see economy issues or temp issues. I wouldn't be surprised if 40 weight is within the tolerances of the engine, but why fool with it in the long term? It doesn't buy you anything for the added uncertainty and risk, unless you're in the "thicker oil is necessarily better" camp, and even then, it's debatable.

That's why I said it's fine for an OCI to use it up- it's not likely to hurt anything, but it's not better than what's specified, and may well be worse.
The spread of oil viscosity between a 30 and 40 weight oil (2 or 3 cst?) at operating temperature is nothing compared to the spread from 40C to 100C (50+cst) of either weight of oil, Making that argument a non issue. Oil jets and pumps run just fine at either oil temperature or viscosity.

Reactions: SR5
The spread of oil viscosity between a 30 and 40 weight oil (2 or 3 cst?) at operating temperature is nothing compared to the spread from 40C to 100C (50+cst) of either weight of oil, Making that argument a non issue. Oil jets and pumps run just fine at either oil temperature or viscosity.
Yup, a 10w30 oil is 80+cst at 40c, even 5w50 is only 18cst at 100c. Oil would basically have to be a thick tar/wax-like consistency (ie unpumpable) to cause a problem. Just use the correct winter grade (or a W grade lower) for your expected start temps and you'll be just fine.

Reactions: SR5
Back