Pictures of a Sludged 2009 Murano with 15k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I'd love to know the history of the vehicle and oil and filter used.

+1 Did, they check the oil level regularly? Who tore it down to inspect, why? Still under warranty right? Perhaps voided now for now following maintenance schedule? Just need the rest of the story here.

Where's Johnny248? He needs to provide info about this engine. I suspect there is way more miles on this engine than 15K. With the quality os dino oil these days there's no way this kind of sludge could happen this quickly.

Originally Posted By: G-MAN

If this was a salesman who drives 35,000 miles a year of mostly highway miles, then I'd agree with you. If this was 15,000 miles of short trips and stop and go driving, then the factory fill would look like this.

I agree, especially if the owner of this vehicle took delivery right when the 09s first came out, so this oil could have two years of short trip driving on it, including two winters.

When engines are sludged up that bad, can they be restored or cleaned? What would you use?

Originally Posted By: buster
When engines are sludged up that bad, can they be restored or cleaned? What would you use?

Anything can be cleaned and restored. Are we talking chemically or tear the engine down hand clean and tank it?

If those were old pix of a motor from the '70's or '80's, I would have no problem believing the results. But of a new motor using modern oil? Something else has to be wrong.

Either that motor is defective from the factory or we don't have all the info...

What is the sump size? Some of these Nissan engines appear to run hot.

Mobil's taxi service tear downs looked similar to this using a conventional oil every 15k.

Originally Posted By: cos
Is there any info on this engine? OCI, type of oil used, type of driving etc?

Most likely they used Pennzoil! That would account for the sludge in such short mileage!
(End sarcasm!) :) LOL

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
I agree, something else must have been going on. The sparkplug does have a lot of buildup, I suspect rings were bad, causing fuel blowby into oil.

Heck, Nissan has 7500 regular OCIs allowed and this engine, while toughon oil, is no sludger.

+1

This is the venerable VQ powerplant. Something else was happening here -- that motor does not sludge up.

I'd like to know the history as well,

This vehicle has RENTAL written all over it.

Possible poor maintenance and an early life of WOT'ing.

A hard early life could sludge any make or model in 15K.

It could happen if the engine ran cold and rich all the time. Classroom auto texts have pics like this. I have known people who drive to work a couple blocks, engine always on choke, always cold, week after week. Then there are the driveway moves in winter, none good for the engine. With engines hot is good.

Originally Posted By: Newtonville
It could happen if the engine ran cold and rich all the time. Classroom auto texts have pics like this. I have known people who drive to work a couple blocks, engine always on choke, always cold, week after week. Then there are the driveway moves in winter, none good for the engine. With engines hot is good.

I remember those pictures too from shop class. Which is why an extended drain is not for everyone. Synthetic oil or not, certain applications need more frequent OCI's especially engines that have been found to be prone to sludge.

Could it also be that the oil level became low and no top-up was ever added? That coupled w/ 15K on oil and possibly mostly short trips could explain it.

That could explain it, and by definition be called neglected. In fact no matter how you slice it the engine is neglected.

It does not matter what engine this is, it probably did not have the oil changed, ever, and this is what you get. I have a Civic with just over 400k, head never off, and it looks like new under the valve cover, every time I adjust the valves. By the way, I change the oil and filter on a regular basis and that is probably more important than the brand name of the oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back