Pictures of a Sludged 2009 Murano with 15k

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you get more info you will be able to draw an conclusion something that for the most part is never done. Sorry but that is the way it always goes. Just keep guessing till it smarts.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Troy_Built
More info!

Originally Posted By: G-MAN
Originally Posted By: Spyder7
I can't see a factory fill run for 15k creating that much sludge all by itself. It may be one likely factor, but there has to be other things in play. That much sludge just doesn't develop that fast in an otherwise healthy engine driven normally, even on a 15k factory fill with no oil change. There is more to this than those pictures can tell by themselves.

If this was a salesman who drives 35,000 miles a year of mostly highway miles, then I'd agree with you. If this was 15,000 miles of short trips and stop and go driving, then the factory fill would look like this.

That's why I mentioned "normal use." Any severe service (which strictly short trip usage would meet) is just that, and not "normal use."

I still think more info is needed. There are many possible culprits, and I suspect (barring a defect), that this is likely a combination of things; example, severe service combined with a design defect or running with the oil on near empty.

On one of the Toyota sites I visit there was a instance posted of Toyota refusing to take responsibility for an owner's sludged engine. In that particular case, the engine had far more miles on it, and the owner had gone more than 15k on at least one OCI, and during several he'd continued to drive for days with the oil low lamp lit. I'd have to dig up the post from that forum to get more specific, but it was one of the worst documented cases of owner neglect I'd read about - and it still ran well beyond 15k before his neglect and abuse of the engine caused it to fail.

-Spyder

I'm going to agree with those that are finding it very difficult to believe that this vehicle only has 15,000 miles---that's a whole lot of damage for such a small period of time and for so few miles.

Originally Posted By: tpitcher

So much for extended oil changes!!!!!!!!

Could be that or MURANO ENGINES SUCK!!!!!!!!!

15k, eh Must be some baaaaaad Oil, or an engine that has issues.

Or that sat for 5 years. Muranos came out in 2003.

Was this the Grandma Special by any chance

Originally Posted By: Capa
I'm going to agree with those that are finding it very difficult to believe that this vehicle only has 15,000 miles---that's a whole lot of damage for such a small period of time and for so few miles.

You suspect a changed cluster - hadnt thought of that
thumbsup2.gif

So it has 215,168 miles.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: lipadj46
God I love pictures of sludge. You have to really try hard to sludge an engine in 15k. kudos to the nut behind that wheel, good job sir or madam.

How do you know the issue was caused by a lack of maintenance? Isn't blaming the owner a bit premature? Or are you in possession of some knowledge of the situation of which we're not aware?

It had to be a factory fill, i am surprised that even dino can do that so quick on a new engine.

To go from brand new metal to sludged up in 15k is sad.

what a waste. my grandma has a murano. it is a really nice car.

one should have to follow one's maintenance schedule. i would love to know what the dealer says about this.

Thing's pretty grody...If you look at that last pic, I'd bet the temperature gauge spent most of it's time there. Considering those plugs, maybe something along the lines of 90% short trips on the FF. Toss in a few long periods of idle just to bake it all on?

I knew a guy leased a Cavalier and drove across North America with the speed sensor disconnected. Not sure if that would work with a newer car like this.

Originally Posted By: Spyder7
On one of the Toyota sites I visit there was a instance posted of Toyota refusing to take responsibility for an owner's sludged engine. I'd have to dig up the post from that forum to get more specific,
If you can find it, I'd like to read it. My sister and her husband both own Toyotas and I'd like to have them read it as well.

I'm curious since we don't have any real facts about the oil and filter and we're all going on opinions, myself included. Does anyone know what oil Nissan uses in these thihgs as a FF, and who makes the filters?

Originally Posted By: HangerHarley
thumbsup2.gif

So it has 215,168 miles.
thumbsup2.gif

I have also seen people yank their odometer/speedometer lead in an attempt to avoid accruing miles while on warranty. All we see is a messy engine that claims 15,000 miles. As others have pointed out, we don't know anything about coolant contamination, and we certainly have no independent confirmation that 15,000 miles was the actual amount driven. But, as all those who fail to do maintenance, it "must" have been changed every 3,000 miles.

Doesnt work that way anymore, the body control modules and TCm and can tell when a cluster has been removed and new one installed, leaves behind codes and what not. In most the cluster wont even work unless a tech goes in programs the vin and matches up the mileage.

Per the sludge, unless the OP or tech comments you really wont know.

Assume it is factory fill with the factory oil filter and assume the engine consume 1 qt every 5000 I suppose the original owner could of cooked off a few qts and drove it around very low on oil and sludged it up. I mean Muranos are kind of fodder cars were half the people who buy them dont have a clue anyways, so I would bet original oil run low.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: HangerHarley
thumbsup2.gif

So it has 215,168 miles.
thumbsup2.gif

I have also seen people yank their odometer/speedometer lead in an attempt to avoid accruing miles while on warranty. All we see is a messy engine that claims 15,000 miles. As others have pointed out, we don't know anything about coolant contamination, and we certainly have no independent confirmation that 15,000 miles was the actual amount driven. But, as all those who fail to do maintenance, it "must" have been changed every 3,000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back