Pictures of a Sludged 2009 Murano with 15k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Johnny248, I just hope after 7 pages or so that this isn't just a build-up to "this is how the engine now looks after this product was used."
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: tpitcher

So much for extended oil changes!!!!!!!!
Extended oil changes take more than just not changing the oil.

Originally Posted By: VNTS
Doesnt work that way anymore, the body control modules and TCm and can tell when a cluster has been removed and new one installed, leaves behind codes and what not. In most the cluster wont even work unless a tech goes in programs the vin and matches up the mileage.

Per the sludge, unless the OP or tech comments you really wont know.

Assume it is factory fill with the factory oil filter and assume the engine consume 1 qt every 5000 I suppose the original owner could of cooked off a few qts and drove it around very low on oil and sludged it up. I mean Muranos are kind of fodder cars were half the people who buy them dont have a clue anyways, so I would bet original oil run low.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: HangerHarley
You suspect a changed cluster - hadnt thought of that
thumbsup2.gif

So it has 215,168 miles.
thumbsup2.gif

On a GM full size truck the mileage is only kept in the cluster and no where else...I have also seen people yank their odometer/speedometer lead in an attempt to avoid accruing miles while on warranty. All we see is a messy engine that claims 15,000 miles. As others have pointed out, we don't know anything about coolant contamination, and we certainly have no independent confirmation that 15,000 miles was the actual amount driven. But, as all those who fail to do maintenance, it "must" have been changed every 3,000 miles.

On full size GM trucks the mileage is only kept in the IPC, instrument panel cluster and no where else...And you don't need to program them to work.

The IPC stores the Mileage.

The BCM will "keep record" of the current mileage.

Swap in a new cluster? With LOWER mileage?!?!? Guess what.

The BCM UPDATES itself. Yeah. Got 128K? The BCM sees 128K.

Plug in a cluster with 52K? Fire it up. Drive around. Oh look, Hi. The BCM now reads....

Now on the Colorado and Canyon it is kept in the BCM.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Johnny248
Originally Posted By: HangerHarley
You suspect a changed cluster - hadnt thought of that
thumbsup2.gif

So it has 215,168 miles.
thumbsup2.gif

I have also seen people yank their odometer/speedometer lead in an attempt to avoid accruing miles while on warranty. All we see is a messy engine that claims 15,000 miles. As others have pointed out, we don't know anything about coolant contamination, and we certainly have no independent confirmation that 15,000 miles was the actual amount driven. But, as all those who fail to do maintenance, it "must" have been changed every 3,000 miles.

the mileage is accurate. If you saw the rest of the vehicle you would see that there is no way this car has a ton of miles on it.No coolant found in the oil. Why is everyone so quite to assume that and engine can not fail with 15k and 2 years on the oil?

I told you MURANO ENGINES SUCK!!! Explains it all.
lol.gif

:Crackmeup:
thumbsup2.gif

I used to work as a Valet before and i saw a Murano with all highway miles that came in with nearly 300k on the odo.

I think it all comes down to whos taking care of it.

I guess one could say the VQ engines are more likely to fail without being taken care of, but i am inclined to think any engine can be taken care of by the proper person.

the mileage is accurate. If you saw the rest of the vehicle you would see that there is no way this car has a ton of miles on it.No coolant found in the oil. Why is everyone so quite to assume that and engine can not fail with 15k and 2 years on the oil?

I'll take your word for it that the mileage is accurate. It just seems odd that it would be in such a condition so early. We're not assuming that the engine can't fail; we're just kicking around ideas as to what's going on here.

All things being equal, we know that Muranos tend to last longer than 15,000 miles. So, what happened? Did someone at the plant screw up royally? Did the original owner dump the factory fill really early and replace it with something that's been in his garage for fifty years, or perhaps buy some SA rated oil from some dollar store?

Originally Posted By: Craig in Canada

"Any more"? Not for a long time. My 1998 (1995/1996 design) BMW has the VIN coded into every module and the odo reading coded into several on board modules (to some degree of precision - could be +- 500miles). If there's a disagreement a tamper light is illuminated and the details can be read out of the car.

Sure there are people with the gear and knowledge to get around it, but it's far from your average grandma who swapped a cluster.

I would agree that it's not easy. I have seen it done within the last ten years, however. Past ten years ago, there were all kinds of variables at play. GM vehicles would let you yank the lead. Crown Vic and Town Cars activated a warning light if the cluster was changed, back to at least the 1990 model year.

It looks like what ever amount of oil remaining in the crankcase/engine was completely burned up! Nor had it been changed. Shame on it's owner!

Yes these are the type of folks who always bought domestics and did this type of maintenance(or lack of) and then pontified how bad domestics are, now they switched over to imports and are finding out that when you dont change oil, bad things happen to them too. Lets hope they fill out their CR survey accordingly;)

Originally Posted By: uart
Originally Posted By: Spyder7

Lacking any defect, this is the most likely cause IMHO. The combo of no oil change, 2 year time span, and (most importantly) potential oil loss through blow-by or whatever, resulting in oil starvation and sludge.

-Spyder

Yep, the sort of person that will neglect their OCI is unfortunately exactly the same sort of person that never checks their dip stick. That's why I think this scenario is so likely.

Originally Posted By: ItsuMitsubishi
True say Harley, VQ's are failing left and right
happy2.gif

thumbsup2.gif

The Mighty Mighty Nissan. I like KA24E's myself. And it never sludged in 12x the alleged mileage of this gummed-up Murano. New car old car..
lol.gif

Did Nissan refuse the warranty yet?

Originally Posted By: Capa
Johnny248, I just hope after 7 pages or so that this isn't just a build-up to "this is how the engine now looks after this product was used."
wink.gif

lol Yeah,the engine looks like a used engine sitting in a crate waiting for Nissan to call it back for parts return .

I'll take your word for it that the mileage is accurate. It just seems odd that it would be in such a condition so early. We're not assuming that the engine can't fail; we're just kicking around ideas as to what's going on here.

All things being equal, we know that Muranos tend to last longer than 15,000 miles. So, what happened? Did someone at the plant screw up royally? Did the original owner dump the factory fill really early and replace it with something that's been in his garage for fifty years, or perhaps buy some SA rated oil from some dollar store?

So what happened????? The owner ran the original oil for 2 years and 15k without ever changing it and it obviously didn't survive. You can see the tarnish and sludge all over the engine.

So it looks like the prevailing view, since we've been told that the model year and miles are legitimate, is that the oil was never changed and that very likely no make-up oil was added. I wonder at what mileage did the oil filter "fail" and if this accelerated the damage.

Does this engine make the Amsoil sludge list, and shorter OCI recommendations yet?
27.gif
All kidding aside, even though this engine was clearly neglected, this to me is not an engine I'd try an extended drain on.

Poor VQ
frown.gif

I am not sure about the '09's, but early VQ35's are known to consume oil, so if it was run low, and also never changed, this is possibly even better than you could expect.

My car would never make it near 15k miles on an OCI with no make up oil. I have to top it off regularly. ('02 VQ35)

I have an 05 Murano with the VQ35 and 51,000 miles, 6500 mile oil changes, always with PP. No oil usage between changes and when you look in the oil fill hole, the metal you can see has no varnish, no sludge. This is a pretty good engine as far as I am concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back