Transit 15k OCI

Products of combustion?
While that is largely a contributor to oil breakdown over time via oxidation and nitration in high enough concentration it's the job of the additives to handle combustion (by) products. And a good modern mix of base oils will hang in there a LONG time without thickening or shearing. 15K with this engine, in this use should not be an issue - especially with 12 quarts of good oil.

Your concern, based on your perceptions, is misplaced.

I've run 12k miles on my 3.5L n/a Cyclone and had excellent wear and contamination data on ST dino oil; capacity 6 qts.

I would think these engines in the Transit applications with twice the oil capacity would easily do 15k miles. Probably more, but that's a stretch many would be fearful of.

For reference ...

Most of us in parts didn't even notice it until someone posted the new oil and filter chart on our message board. The best we can figure out is that its just a huge oil pan. Its the same oil filter, FL-500S as before.

O and there are more than me on here, we like cookies and donuts.

Huge oil pan? or different dipstick? or combination?

I'd love to see pictures of the 6 and 12 quart pans compared, along with the oil pump pickups and dipsticks.

So, Ford just proved the more oil is better theory, something that some euro and hd brands already knew....along with some of us.

Merging lawsuit? I've seen that mention here often enough with lesser powered vehicles. Dump trucks, garbage trucks, 18-wheelers, school buses... have all merged onto the highways for decades without problems or merging lawsuits.

Whats great of a 12 quart sump is that you can have 6 quarts of oil consumption, and still have plenty of oil in the engine..... perfect for the zombie drone drivers out there that can't figure out how to pop the hood or use a dipstick.

Huge oil pan? or different dipstick? or combination?

I'd love to see pictures of the 6 and 12 quart pans compared, along with the oil pump pickups and dipsticks.

So, Ford just proved the more oil is better theory, something that some euro and hd brands already knew....along with some of us.

Merging lawsuit? I've seen that mention here often enough with lesser powered vehicles. Dump trucks, garbage trucks, 18-wheelers, school buses... have all merged onto the highways for decades without problems or merging lawsuits.

Whats great of a 12 quart sump is that you can have 6 quarts of oil consumption, and still have plenty of oil in the engine..... perfect for the zombie drone drivers out there that can't figure out how to pop the hood or use a dipstick.

I have one being delivered at some point in the late Spring, early Summer. I'll see if I can get some good comparison shots with my older model years.

Did a quick search and found a many paged p*ssing contest thread on a Ford forum about this.
Folks that are knowledgeable on the vehicle wonder where the space claim is for a mega-pan.
Guys that run them claim engine goes 400000 miles plus no problem it's the transmissions that are the limiting factor in reliability.

Did a quick search and found a many paged p*ssing contest thread on a Ford forum about this.
Folks that are knowledgeable on the vehicle wonder where the space claim is for a mega-pan.
Guys that run them claim engine goes 400000 miles plus no problem it's the transmissions that are the limiting factor in reliability.
They might be right considering the consternation surrounding the mystery that was the Bronco oil capacity. Manual stated 7 quarts but was later revised to 6 quarts even though factory fill remains 7.5 quarts.

I'm still trying to figure out if I'm better off using 6 or 7 considering Ford said 7 wouldn't hurt anything. I put pictures of the pan with the two amounts in the last post if anyone has input. More capacity or increased windage loss?

Hmm, wondering why they did it.
Twice the oil volume but only 50% OCI increase. Financially or environmentally it wasn't a good choice.
If you use one of these things for delivery you probably drive a ton of miles.
I think it may come down to total cost of ownership.
Less trips in for service, even with 12 quarts of oil is less money over the life of the car.

Heck my duratech escape 4 cylinder holds almost 6 quarts. This is twice as much oil and 3x the service interval of my car 5,000 miles.

Its cheaper and you are using less oil.

I personally wouldn't go past 5k OCI on any vehicle.

The sweet spot for me is 4k OCI with synthetic 5W-30 oil and high efficiency Fram Ultra oil + air filters.
I also do a drain/fill of the Transmission Fluid every 15k miles.
I change the PCV valve and tube with OEM parts every 30k miles.

I want my vehicles to last 300k miles, with clean engine internals (no sludge/varnish).

Last edited:

Any engine can run 40k without an oil change "with no problem", just keep topping it off. The problems from that method come later on in life, when it's on it's second oil change and needs a complete overhaul at 100k.......but hey that's the next guys problem right? LOL

I personally wouldn't go past 5k OCI on any vehicle.

The sweet spot for me is 4k OCI with synthetic 5W-30 oil and high efficiency Fram Ultra oil + air filters.
I also do a drain/fill of the Transmission Fluid every 15k miles.
I change the PCV valve and tube with OEM parts every 30k miles.

I want my vehicles to last 300k miles, with clean engine internals (no sludge/varnish).

I mean, I am certainly not one of the squeeze every last mile out of every drop guys but that seems excessive. Heck, VW says the trans fluid in the Touareg is "lifetime" and I change it every 50k (it's $40/bottle and takes 8 bottles lol).

Any engine can run 40k without an oil change "with no problem", just keep topping it off. The problems from that method come later on in life, when it's on it's second oil change and needs a complete overhaul at 100k.......but hey that's the next guys problem right? LOL

I mean, I am certainly not one of the squeeze every last mile out of every drop guys but that seems excessive. Heck, VW says the trans fluid in the Touareg is "lifetime" and I change it every 50k (it's $40/bottle and takes 8 bottles lol).
The Honda ATF fluid is only about $8 a quart, and a drain/fill uses 3.3 quarts I prefer to always keep the ATF fluid clean and new (as the Honda ATF-DW1 fluid is not synthetic and degrades as it ages and is used).

Also-if you get oil changed at a quick lube there is a ridiculous upcharge for oil after the first 5 qts.-sometimes as much as $7/quart! That means an extra $50 per oil change!
Yep - son took the 2017 Tahoe to a non chain express lube - 1st 5 quarts M1 was $30 and after that game $175 out the door … Asked for 5W30 … they put in 0W20 … Recommended 3 month change out …
I have shelves full of synthetic oils bought on sale …

Last edited:
Yep - son took the 2017 Tahoe to a non chain express lube - 1st 5 quarts M1 was $30 and after that game $175 out the door … Asked for 5W30 … they put in 0W20 … Recommended 3 month change out …
I have shelves full of synthetic oils bought on sale …
Math doesn’t add up…even at $12/qt for the 3 additional quarts. What other snake oil was he sold?

Math doesn’t add up…even at $12/qt for the 3 additional quarts. What other snake oil was he sold?
346ECA8F-10E1-4828-AE32-059D8B451A96.jpg

Back