OCI and oil selection 2024 Ford Transit

The 3.5L n/a motor is from the Cyclone engine series; these are very robust engines. Because this is a longitudinal mount motor, it doesn't even have the infamous internal water pump issue; this makes it very reliable. These engines wear very well; typically great UOA results. And they run very clean; low concerns for soot/sludge.

Because they have a 12 quart sump in this application, the contamination dilution factor cannot be ignored. I have personally run up to 12k mile OCIs in my 2018 Taurus with the 3.5L n/a and a 6 quart sump (half of what you have) and got excellent wear data. The under-valve-cover views also showed no ill effects. All this with conventional ST oils. I backed that up with a 10k mile OCI with HPL; again great results. I also have about 500 or so UOAs from many sources of this engine; the macro data indicates that both the wear trends and contamination results are all very desirable in this engine series.

I would not hesitate to run the OE 15k mile OCIs, given the large sump capacity in your application. Every 5 weeks in your case given what you state.

So my plan was to alternate Castol GTX HM and Purolator One filter ($44 my cost) with free Dealership oil changes (Motorcraft) on a 10000 mile oci to be conservative. Even with synthetic I wouldn't run it over 15000 miles. My main concern is that I'm trying to determine if the 12qt sump is diluting the oil wear and contamination enough to run it for 10000 miles. I would have no problem in my mind running a 5000 mile oci and a 6qt sump for example.

What did you do for the chevy’s? How many miles before you bought another? 15k OCI’s until out of warranty and then save money and time by going 20-30kand change when convenient. 3 gal of oil! No brainer.
Full synthetic dexos 6000 mile oci every 3 weeks. Got expensive.

We do 7500 on semi (I do full, however) on the 6 quart sump Transit 250s. The 3.5s have been solid-but you better say prayers for your 10R80 transmission (assuming F still uses that POS) & treat it as if it was made of glass if you carry any weight at all. Ours are dropping like flies, not making it to 100K...

Are you opposed to going beyond the 15k OCI?

If you went the HPL route, you're looking at $140 for 12qts. With a 12qt sump, (backed by a UOA), you're likely going to be able to greatly extend the interval. It would not be out of the question to go 25k+ miles with this oil.

We do 7500 on semi (I do full, however) on the 6 quart sump Transit 250s. The 3.5s have been solid-but you better say prayers for your 10R80 transmission (assuming F still uses that POS) & treat it as if it was made of glass if you carry any weight at all. Ours are dropping like flies, not making it to 100K...
How often do you service the transmissions? The owners manual calls for 150000 miles before the first service. I will be doing 30000-40000 mile service intervals.

How are the guys running the semi-syn making out? Any reason in your mind to have to go full syn?

Thanks

Are you opposed to going beyond the 15k OCI?

If you went the HPL route, you're looking at $140 for 12qts. With a 12qt sump, (backed by a UOA), you're likely going to be able to greatly extend the interval. It would not be out of the question to go 25k+ miles with this oil.
Yeah I don't think it's worth it for me. Let's say I could get 30k out of the HPL. I can use, for example, the Castol and do 3 oil changes including filter for $122 as opposed to $140 for just the HPL oil.

I'm just trying to determine if the Castrol or equivalent is good for 10k

Whatever you end up choosing, make sure you run a filter rated for that kind of mileage. My vote would be on an endurance just for the holding capacity and efficiency.

Yeah I don't think it's worth it for me. Let's say I could get 30k out of the HPL. I can use, for example, the Castol and do 3 oil changes including filter for $122 as opposed to $140 for just the HPL oil.

I'm just trying to determine if the Castrol or equivalent is good for 10k
Even the white bottle Castrol GTX would be classified as a semi syn these days. I'm sure it'll go 10K with a 12qt sump. Try it and send off a sample to verify.

I plan on running Purolator One PL22550 as I have a large supply of them and they are rated for 15000 miles. I will be sending off samples for a UOA at 7500 and 10000 miles.

My company vehicle is the regular Cargo Van with that Engine. They have it dialed.. Nice piece.. Bring it down to 7th gear in town for better driveability!
It's owned by Enterprise so we get Oil changes at Valvoline. They put in Max Life..
I've been using Pennzoil Platinum in my own ride, so I would use that. I have no problems with changing at 10k with a 12qt Pan!

Back