2014 Nissan Murano CVT fluid

I changed out the stabilizer-bar end links on our friend's 2014 Nissan Murano, and did a short test drive afterwards.

The transmission (CVT) seemed to hesitate slightly going into gear, and seemed a bit jerky getting underway. The vehicle has 319K km (c. 198K miles) on it. Our friend has not had it for long, so I don't know whether the CVT is original or when it was last serviced.

I'm well aware of the bad reputation the JATCO CVTs have, but wonder if a fluid change might help.

I would do a drain and fill using a dedicated CVT fluid. Rock Auto carries Aisin fluid which meets the NS3 spec.

My only hesitation is concern about the tranny already possibly being on the way out, and failing shortly a fluid change (the fluid change being coincidental, not causal).

If I do volunteer to do this, I also wonder about additives. BITOG folks speak highly of Lubegard products; is there one for CVTs?

Thanks!

I changed out the stabilizer-bar end links on our friend's 2014 Nissan Murano, and did a short test drive afterwards.

The transmission (CVT) seemed to hesitate slightly going into gear, and seemed a bit jerky getting underway. The vehicle has 319K km (c. 198K miles) on it. Our friend has not had it for long, so I don't know whether the CVT is original or when it was last serviced.

I'm well aware of the bad reputation the JATCO CVTs have, but wonder if a fluid change might help.

I would do a drain and fill using a dedicated CVT fluid. Rock Auto carries Aisin fluid which meets the NS3 spec.

My only hesitation is concern about the tranny already possibly being on the way out, and failing shortly a fluid change (the fluid change being coincidental, not causal).

If I do volunteer to do this, I also wonder about additives. BITOG folks speak highly of Lubegard products; is there one for CVTs?

Thanks!

I don’t start changing my Nissan Altima VQ CVT until 283,500 miles on it. I found Eneos Eco CVT fluid noticeably quieted down my car’s transmission after I did just one drain and refill. Eventually I did 2 more drain and refills on it.

My car made it to 365,500 miles before the transmission gave up. Though I believe it got hurt when on a rainy day I drove on a area of bricks laid in the road and was using a lot of throttle in it and it caused the wheels to slip very badly and I think that really really messed with that transmission. Because it started acting funny later that same night.

IMO Nissan Jatco transmissions have problems due to underfilled tranmission fluid and previous really bad NS2 fluid which was cause tranny to overheat. New NS3 fluid for nissan is made by Idemitsu, although they could also be using different supliers likeTotachi
IMO both of those fluids are inferior to Castrol & Amsoil cvt fluids.

I've been using Castrol Transmax ATF/CVT Universal fluid which is speced for NS3, NS2 etc.

To be honest people geek out about this but all CVT fluid is lubricator, friction reducer and detergent, similar to motor oil but with different viscocity rating. As long as you come close this viscocity your tranny will be ok. Actually higher viscocity will protect more against heat which is why those tranmissions go into safe mode when they overheat. IMO viscocity of NS2 fluid was too low hence nissan changed later to NS3. NS3 is still inferior to most aftermarket cvt fluids.

NO CVT fluid will cause any damage to your transmission. They all do the same thing, lubricate, reduce friction and clean out particles out, same as motor oil does. No different brand motor oil will cause any damage to your motor engine unless u use super high viscocity.

If i were you i would do this. Get two 1 gallon jugs of cvt fluid. With car leveled drain cvt fluid.

Fill exactly with 3 quarts and 10 ozs. Fill threw tranmission dipstick hole using thin funnel from walmart.

Drive for 10k miles and do this again. I change my cvt fluid every 2 oil changes now.

Half of old cvt fluid is in torque converter so fist time you will only change half of cvt fluid. After 3 drains you should have 100% new Cvt fluid. There is also paper CVT filter right above tranny in metal round case which you should change as well. There is video on youtube how to do this for 2014 nissan altima.

Here is good thread on viscocity of cvt fluid.

Castrol is 7.1. Idemitsu/nissan ns3 cvt fluid is 7.0 lol. Same thing. Color means nothing. It means different chemical was used to achieve same end result.

Also get yourself this cvt dipstick and replace dummy one

Let us know what u did and good luck.

Last edited:
IMO Nissan Jatco transmissions have problems due to underfilled tranmission fluid and previous really bad NS2 fluid which was cause tranny to overheat. New NS3 fluid for nissan is made by Idemitsu, although they could also be using different supliers likeTotachi
IMO both of those fluids are inferior to Castrol & Amsoil cvt fluids.

I've been using Castrol Transmax ATF/CVT Universal fluid which is speced for NS3, NS2 etc.

To be honest people geek out about this but all CVT fluid is lubricator, friction reducer and detergent, similar to motor oil but with different viscocity rating. As long as you come close this viscocity your tranny will be ok. Actually higher viscocity will protect more against heat which is why those tranmissions go into safe mode when they overheat. IMO viscocity of NS2 fluid was too low hence nissan changed later to NS3. NS3 is still inferior to most aftermarket cvt fluids.

NO CVT fluid will cause any damage to your transmission. They all do the same thing, lubricate, reduce friction and clean out particles out, same as motor oil does. No different brand motor oil will cause any damage to your motor engine unless u use super high viscocity.

If i were you i would do this. Get two 1 gallon jugs of cvt fluid. With car leveled drain cvt fluid.

Fill exactly with 3 quarts and 10 ozs. Fill threw tranmission dipstick hole using thin funnel from walmart.

Drive for 10k miles and do this again. I change my cvt fluid every 2 oil changes now.

Half of old cvt fluid is in torque converter so fist time you will only change half of cvt fluid. After 3 drains you should have 100% new Cvt fluid. There is also paper CVT filter right above tranny in metal round case which you should change as well. There is video on youtube how to do this for 2014 nissan altima.

Here is good thread on viscocity of cvt fluid.

Castrol is 7.1. Idemitsu/nissan ns3 cvt fluid is 7.0 lol. Same thing. Color means nothing. It means different chemical was used to achieve same end result.

Also get yourself this cvt dipstick and replace dummy one

Let us know what u did and good luck.

Has nothing to do with viscosity… 7.0 vs 7.8 means nothing.

CVTs operate on traction coefficient. Therefore it’s the additive package that determines that fluid’s unique ability to help the belt maintain pressure and traction.

Regular ATFs work off of a coefficient of friction which is very different than how a CVT operates.

I had a 2008 Nissan Altima VQ with a CVT that I didn’t change the fluid in it until 283,500 miles. I changed it 3 times and then after another 30k miles did it again 3 times. Then one last time at 360,000 miles. My car made it to 365,500 miles

I used Eneos Eco CVT fluid which has a viscosity of 7.2 or so. It did great and did quiet down my CVT quite a lot after the first time I put it in my car.

Last edited:
Back