2017 Versa - CVT fluid change ... oh what fun

changed the CVT Fluid and filter in my daughters 17 Nissan Versa... and cleaned the screen once I decided I might as well drop the pan, just to look at *** it looks like inside... my conclusion is Nissan doesn't want a skilled professional like myself or rank amateur doing it at home, what with the sealed dipstick, the need to remove inner fender to get to one of the filters and the esoteric nature and availability of the fluid.. good old RA had Beck Arnley filter and NS3 fluid at a good price... so that was my mission yesterday...

Last edited by a moderator:
Changing the CVT fluid on that Versa doesn't seem difficult at all.

There is no need to ever change the transmission filter or even drop the pan. Even on cars that had a spin-on transmission filter, there was no need to replace it unless it got damaged.

You don't need to go crazy looking for fluid, either. Cam2 and Transtar are both the proper green color, if that matters (though it doesn't). The Transtar is also available in a 2.5 gallon jug if you have more than one CVT to service, or if you want to change the fluid more frequently.

There is nothing wrong with using Valvoline or Amalie (both amber in color) or Castrol (red). Amalie even makes the house brands for Autozone and AAP.

CVT fluid is not difficult to get, and you don't have to pay $20/qt at the dealer.

If you think the CVT fluid change is difficult on a Versa, try doing it on a Subaru, which requires a scan tool to measure the temperature :sneaky:

While the CVT in my mothers 08 Maxima was less than desirable it did not fail. It sure as heck was easy to drop the bolt and refill so I did many drain/fills. I used Amsoil 2.5 gal jug. Looks like a little more effort needed for the Versa.

Back