Partial CVT fluid change, 2019 QX60 with Idemitsu NS3

Did a partial dump and fill on the CVT today at 59,500 kilometers and 2 years from date of manufacture. Drained out 3.6 quarts ~ approximately. The old fluid was pretty clear, no burnt smell or anything worrying. The QX60 drove fine before, and should keep doing same (y)

Used my Android app and OBD bluetooth reader for measuring the fluid temp to set the level per service manual, worked perfectly. Nice that the transmission pan drain plug uses same size copper washer as the engine oil pan, no need to source something unique. The fluid level check port uses a drain bolt with a rubber O-ring, this should last for a few changes. Sourced Idemitsu NS3 from ebay, got 6 quarts for $148 CAD delivered.

Hardest part of the process was getting the car on 4 jack stands, and completely level - my double car garage floor slopes down in the middle to a floor drain, so I had to adjust the driver front stand a bit higher than the 3 others.

Will do again in 50k kilometres, but will add in a pan gasket and filter for a better refresh of the NS3.

Nice!

I've got the same vehicle, just in 2019 Pathfinder flavor. I've done 4 drain/fills on the CVT between 25K and 45K miles. I bought it as a previous rental in Oct 2019 w/ 25K miles.
All I do is drain it at ambient temperature and refill with the same volume that drained out, which has always worked out to be 4 quarts. I haven't bothered with leveling or temperature.

I've been buying NS-3 online when I could find it for under $10/qt. Once I get beyond the 5yr/60K powertrain, I'll be using a suitable for use aftermarket CVT fluid.

More importantly than the CVT on these vehicles IMO is the transfer case. If you haven't done a few drain/fills on that by now you're going to want to. They only hold a few ounces of gear oil and will be loaded with wear metals the first few drain/fills. Bad thing about these T-cases is once you notice leakage, it's usually too late and the unit has been run dry and is toast. They're in motion any time the vehicle is in motion.

Nice!

More importantly than the CVT on these vehicles IMO is the transfer case. If you haven't done a few drain/fills on that by now you're going to want to. They only hold a few ounces of gear oil and will be loaded with wear metals the first few drain/fills. Bad thing about these T-cases is once you notice leakage, it's usually too late and the unit has been run dry and is toast. They're in motion any time the vehicle is in motion.
Transfer case and rear differential were done at 47,000km so I should be good. The Android app allows me to see the distribution of power front to rear in real time. The typical city driving in dry weather is 94% front and 6 % rear. The most I've seen go to the rear in dry weather was 20% on moderately aggressive acceleration. Our Winter wasn't exactly that bad, so I don't know how much of a F to R split would be common for slippery roads. Yes, I put the cell phone on a dash mounted holder to see this stuff while driving.

Reactions: JTK
The 4x4 system is a bit misleading on this platform. The rear coupling at the input of the rear diff is nothing more than an electromagnetic clutch. It can slip some, but not much and not for long. These drivetrains are essentially full time FWD, where the back end kicks in when front wheel spin is detected. These are not advanced AWD systems regardless of what the dash cartoons or torque vectoring apps say.

You mean I can't do the typical Arizona Jeep thing with the QX60 ? ha ha, no I fully understood this is a very light usage AWD car, might handle a muddy road at our cottage, but not for long.

Reactions: JTK
Lol I hear ya. It's not a bad system and they are really good in winter conditions. I suspect even one without 4x4 would be decent due to the size and weight of the vehicle.

Back