Not trolling, but all things being equal, why not just use SuperTech for everything?

Supertech in everything? Yup.... once I removed my "feelings" from the equation and realized this oil is every bit as good at the big players....

Great oil.... among many out there. Pick your poison I say...

Reactions: hrv
Nope, we have three different engines in the FL's, from oldest to newest:
- C7 CAT
- Mercedes ~7L
- Cummins ISL

The ISL is actually the one that has the biggest difficulty starting in cold weather, even when it has been plugged-in all night.

The Kenworth has the Paccar (Cummins) PX-9.
OK, thanks!
I noticed on one of your other thread responses that you stated one was using synthetic 5w-40 and the other 15w-40. That could make a difference in one being easier to start. But you already know that!
I know nothing abut the Mercedes engine but from experience the CAT will use more fuel but will be more reliable than the Cummins.

Interestingly, the county here runs Delvac 1 5w-40 (or did) in the plow and salt trucks. Our local International dealer used to stock tons of it because that's where they bought it from. I haven't been in that shop since my buddy left for a foreman position managing a bus fleet, but I suspect that's still the case.
Cold starting temps?

Identical story except with Castrol and not for 35 years, but more like 6. I'll pay a few dollars to stick with what I know works, and if I get a rebate even better. I'd go M1 first before ST if I had to. Nothing wrong with ST, but I just don't want it for my applications. That said, I have tried other oils on and off, but my primary fill has been Castrol for a long time now.

I even pay the extra few bucks for EP but don't run extended intervals. 😱
What is the advantage of EP then?

OK, thanks!
I noticed on one of your other thread responses that you stated one was using synthetic 5w-40 and the other 15w-40. That could make a difference in one being easier to start. But you already know that!
I know nothing abut the Mercedes engine but from experience the CAT will use more fuel but will be more reliable than the Cummins.

Yeah, the Cummins is hard to start even when it isn't even cold enough for the winter rating to matter. There's something wrong with that truck, been at the dealer multiple times for it. Grid heater works fine, block heater works fine, has fresh batteries, new starter...etc.

A few years ago , I ask, had anyone in here blown their engine up due to the oil they were using,,well it boiled down to about zero....very few of us have lost an engine due to oil failure,,,so imho, super tech oil is just fine...

What is the advantage of EP then?
I'm willing to pay 4 dollars for what might be a more stout oil. It's a feel good thing. I also have a strange application with a 1.4 turbo, tuned engine. Fuel dilution is a problem for me, along with high output on a hamster wheel sized engine.

Funny enough I had my pre winter change today and they only had M1 EP, so that's what in over the winter.

I do use SuperTech for everything. It works, even in marine applications. The Costco Signature oil I use? Comes from the same factory SuperTech does. And cheaper at Costco

Not trying to start a forum war, but I've been wondering, if you're someone who changes oil frequently, does it make sense to use anything other than SuperTech synthetic? I've never used it before, what I've used previously is Mobil1 AFE, Valvoline SynPower, or Castrol Edge Titanium. My goal is to maximize engine reliability.

Is there really any difference using something like Castrol Edge vs SuperTech (both 5w30)? If both are D1G2, SN+, and GF-6 certified, and you do changes every 4,000 miles or so, what's the downside? I don't mind paying more if I'm getting my money's worth, but lately everything has been around double SuperTech's price. So if there's truly no benefit, I'd rather not throw away money.

Engine is an FA20DIT in a WRX. I take LSPI very seriously and I also know TGDI engines like to shear oil hence the frequent
I am so going to miss the discussions of why people should pay twice as much for fancy oils when SuperTech works superbly. I love the guys who talk themselves into shelling out more dough than they need to.

I am so going to miss the discussions of why people should pay twice as much for fancy oils when SuperTech works superbly. I love the guys who talk themselves into shelling out more dough than they need to.
I would NEVER use it in a BMW

Reactions: Y_K
Warren Distribution makes (blends?) good stuff. I can usually scrounge big names (M1, RGT, Magnatec) cheaper if I try, but I’m not sure how much better they are than the linked ST HM full syn, those are some good boron, moly, & TBN numbers!

I don't think anything you said is inaccurate. Some people are too good to use Walmart-brand engine oil or are too good to set foot in a Walmart store to get that oil though.... :rolleyes:
Their overpayment for products is their reward. Even if they select a known branded oil that is above a Supertech.

The only reason I can think of is lots of time you can get major brands on sale with a rebate that wind up being cheaper. Just picked up three Jugs of MOBIL 1 5w-20 EP HM in September for my grandson's Birthday $19 and change a Jug with a $9 a Jug rebate.

Well I can say I was talked out of using this in my E63S so there are some exceptions I suppose.
IMG_7087.jpg

Back