Not trolling, but all things being equal, why not just use SuperTech for everything?

Some of you are missing the point......

ST is just oil, when you buy say Castrol. You are buying a "brand" and what that brand represents. Such as innovation in IndyCar racing, or innovated commercials that support your favorite auto sport. "Think with your dipstick, Jimmy!"

Also there is charity, unique patents(like Kendall Ti) and company ethics. (cutting down the rain forest)
We were a HUGE fan of Texaco oils because we actually got royalties from a Texaco oil lease.(before they offloaded to prep sale to Chevron)

ST is just oil, when you buy say Castrol. You are buying a "brand" and what that brand represents. Such as innovation in IndyCar racing, or innovated commercials that support your favorite auto sport. "Think with your dipstick, Jimmy!"

Also there is charity, unique patents(like Kendall Ti) and company ethics. (cutting down the rain forest)
Maybe you're missing the point. If it meets spec, all that doesn't matter. I'd consider it if Mobil 1 wasn't cheaper with the rebate and if they had MB 229.5 oils, which they don't.

Remember, you've fallen into brand marketing, basically if you use the correct oil and change it on a regular schedule, the oil brand doesn't really matter. There's a reason you don't see threads about how someone's engine blew up because they used the wrong brand oil.

We were a HUGE fan of Texaco oils because we actually got royalties from a Texaco oil lease.(before they offloaded to prep sale to Chevron)
i love supertech, but please let me know that if there is an oil company that supports cutting down the rain forest. i will give them a shot!

Not trying to start a forum war, but I've been wondering, if you're someone who changes oil frequently, does it make sense to use anything other than SuperTech synthetic? I've never used it before, what I've used previously is Mobil1 AFE, Valvoline SynPower, or Castrol Edge Titanium. My goal is to maximize engine reliability.

Is there really any difference using something like Castrol Edge vs SuperTech (both 5w30)? If both are D1G2, SN+, and GF-6 certified, and you do changes every 4,000 miles or so, what's the downside? I don't mind paying more if I'm getting my money's worth, but lately everything has been around double SuperTech's price. So if there's truly no benefit, I'd rather not throw away money.

Engine is an FA20DIT in a WRX. I take LSPI very seriously and I also know TGDI engines like to shear oil hence the frequent changes.
That is like saying why not put your entire retirement portfolio in the S and P 500 index. It just takes all the fun out of it.

Not trying to start a forum war, but I've been wondering, if you're someone who changes oil frequently, does it make sense to use anything other than SuperTech synthetic? I've never used it before, what I've used previously is Mobil1 AFE, Valvoline SynPower, or Castrol Edge Titanium. My goal is to maximize engine reliability.

Is there really any difference using something like Castrol Edge vs SuperTech (both 5w30)? If both are D1G2, SN+, and GF-6 certified, and you do changes every 4,000 miles or so, what's the downside? I don't mind paying more if I'm getting my money's worth, but lately everything has been around double SuperTech's price. So if there's truly no benefit, I'd rather not throw away money.

Engine is an FA20DIT in a WRX. I take LSPI very seriously and I also know TGDI engines like to shear oil hence the frequent changes.

YES!!! Fleets dont buy brand names and over priced fluids. if it meets specs....it meets specs. Fleets also run th most miles and abuse their vehicles. You wont find a NYC cabby using Mobile 1 haha Same with my fleet of tow trucks and we put 500-650k miles on them. My retail service center has the county and city veh contact for service and the cheapest filters and fluids meeting spec go into all police, fire and ambulances. Cop cars never shut off and they change the oil by the mile-not accounting for idle time-and they still are totally fine. Same w school buses. We maintain the districts buses and all the fluids are bulk. For years now my bulk fluids have been mostly Mag1 by Warren Dist which is who makes SuperTech. Never had an oil failure.

YES!!! Fleets dont buy brand names and over priced fluids. if it meets specs....it meets specs. Fleets also run th most miles and abuse their vehicles. You wont find a NYC cabby using Mobile 1 haha Same with my fleet of tow trucks and we put 500-650k miles on them. My retail service center has the county and city veh contact for service and the cheapest filters and fluids meeting spec go into all police, fire and ambulances. Cop cars never shut off and they change the oil by the mile-not accounting for idle time-and they still are totally fine. Same w school buses. We maintain the districts buses and all the fluids are bulk. For years now my bulk fluids have been mostly Mag1 by Warren Dist which is who makes SuperTech. Never had an oil failure.
Interestingly, the county here runs Delvac 1 5w-40 (or did) in the plow and salt trucks. Our local International dealer used to stock tons of it because that's where they bought it from. I haven't been in that shop since my buddy left for a foreman position managing a bus fleet, but I suspect that's still the case.

T
Interestingly, the county here runs Delvac 1 5w-40 (or did) in the plow and salt trucks. Our local International dealer used to stock tons of it because that's where they bought it from. I haven't been in that shop since my buddy left for a foreman position managing a bus fleet, but I suspect that's still the case.
There is always an outlier......

T

There is always an outlier......

It's probably the application. You are in Florida, we see real winters. Next time I talk to my buddy, I'll find out what they run in the busses for the winter, that would be another data point.

Our Freighliners, even plugged in, are a pain to get running in the winter when it is extremely cold, I'm surprised the dealer doesn't switch to a 10w-30 for the winter months. The Kenworth however, fires right up. We will be replacing all of the Freightliners with Kenworth trucks over the next few years (we already have another one on order, the chip shortage has caused serious delays).

It's probably the application. You are in Florida, we see real winters. Next time I talk to my buddy, I'll find out what they run in the busses for the winter, that would be another data point.

Our Freighliners, even plugged in, are a pain to get running in the winter when it is extremely cold, I'm surprised the dealer doesn't switch to a 10w-30 for the winter months. The Kenworth however, fires right up. We will be replacing all of the Freightliners with Kenworth trucks over the next few years (we already have another one on order, the chip shortage has caused serious delays).
Same engines in the KW and FL?

Same engines in the KW and FL?

Nope, we have three different engines in the FL's, from oldest to newest:
- C7 CAT
- Mercedes ~7L
- Cummins ISL

The ISL is actually the one that has the biggest difficulty starting in cold weather, even when it has been plugged-in all night.

The Kenworth has the Paccar (Cummins) PX-9.

The thing here is - most folks aren't driving their vehicles anywhere close to the edge where an oil that goes beyond the spec/approval makes f all of a difference....but everyone sure thinks they are. Daily driving a car that is going to be kept for at most 10 years and 150K just isn't that hard an engine and ST is more than adequate for that use for so many people. It's why the two teenager's cars in my house are running it.

Supertech is good enough for most applications. But for Euro cars or tracking a car, Supertech will not work. I use Supertech in my lawn mower, and that's all. I will not let the Supertech near my BMWs. It would be a different discussion if there was a Supertech Euro oil with the ll-01 approval, then we could talk.
Agreed - I'd consider it for my Atlas that just gets daily driven around town a few times a week and will likely never see 100K in my ownership.

My right foot and my Honda Earth Dreams engine would shear ST just like it did my Liquimoly Molygen 5w30 with Mos2. Was constantly having to add oil. So I did a flush and change over to 0w20 Redline and consumption went to less than a half over 10k miles. So I am running the RL 5w20 to see if it helps. Was pleasantly surprised on the last oci. I just don't think IMHO that economy friendly spec's hold up very well especially in GDI or TGDi vehicles. Like the idea of using an oil that has virtually no VI improvers and keeps things very clean and quiet over 10k mile oci.
I would use ST over any non synthetic though and if I had to use it in my car would want a 0w30 or 5w30 flavour. It's a budget friendly oil that works well in cars that aren't hard on oil,aren't direct injection,etc

My right foot and my Honda Earth Dreams engine would shear ST just like it did my Liquimoly Molygen 5w30 with Mos2. Was constantly having to add oil. So I did a flush and change over to 0w20 Redline and consumption went to less than a half over 10k miles. So I am running the RL 5w20 to see if it helps. Was pleasantly surprised on the last oci. I just don't think IMHO that economy friendly spec's hold up very well especially in GDI or TGDi vehicles. Like the idea of using an oil that has virtually no VI improvers and keeps things very clean and quiet over 10k mile oci.
I would use ST over any non synthetic though and if I had to use it in my car would want a 0w30 or 5w30 flavour. It's a budget friendly oil that works well in cars that aren't hard on oil,aren't direct injection,etc
Redline oils usually have a higher HTHS. You could experiment with euro xw30/ xw40. They have a HTHS of at least 3.5

Back