Not trolling, but all things being equal, why not just use SuperTech for everything?

Not trying to start a forum war, but I've been wondering, if you're someone who changes oil frequently, does it make sense to use anything other than SuperTech synthetic? I've never used it before, what I've used previously is Mobil1 AFE, Valvoline SynPower, or Castrol Edge Titanium. My goal is to maximize engine reliability.

Is there really any difference using something like Castrol Edge vs SuperTech (both 5w30)? If both are D1G2, SN+, and GF-6 certified, and you do changes every 4,000 miles or so, what's the downside? I don't mind paying more if I'm getting my money's worth, but lately everything has been around double SuperTech's price. So if there's truly no benefit, I'd rather not throw away money.

Engine is an FA20DIT in a WRX. I take LSPI very seriously and I also know TGDI engines like to shear oil hence the frequent changes.

A lot of people feel comfortable and secure by using name brands. Food, clothes, music, cars, and motor oil are good examples. It costs more , it's packaging is flashier, Indy car driver Joe Blow uses/endorses it, it's widely advertised. It must be better than all the rest right?🙄

what's the downside
ST fluids are great, if your vehicle likes them. OCI at 5k miles or so, there would be no measurable difference between ST and Valvoline or M1. As stated above, ST does have a slightly higher NOACK which might turn people off. Some cars burn certain brands of oil, don't know why. But all things being equal, ST is a great choice.

I've had the same thought and have used supertech a few times. In all honestly pretty much everyone could use it and be just fine, but that wouldn't be very fun would it? Their synthetic gear oil is a great value.

Some people don't like Walmart for various reasons, and sometimes other oil goes on sale or a rebate and ends up being similar in price or even cheaper than ST
Checkout some of the crazy oil deals on Walmart lately. A little over a dollar each for a 5 qt jug when bought in 3-packs. Many different main brands too.

I don’t think there is anything wrong with SuperTech, just not my choice of oil. I used to be convinced it was bad because one of our master techs misdiagnosed some engine damage saying it was caused by the brand of oil and I knew to believe it because he was a master tech. After joining here I learned it wasn’t true. And then you’ve got people like my friend who thinks all oil that comes from Walmart no matter the name on the bottle is fake because they sell it cheaper.

Checkout some of the crazy oil deals on Walmart lately. A little over a dollar each for a 5 qt jug when bought in 3-packs. Many different main brands too.

It's not fair to compare clear outs and loss leader type sales though. Each oil has an average price.

Back