Pennzoil vs Mobil 1 vs Castrol?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's like comparing Macintosh, Gaia, and Fuji apples. Then some others say to add Granny Smiths into the mix. Pick your flavor, they're all good apples, and if keep them fresh, you probably won't get a worm in any of them.

Originally Posted by diyjake
Aren't PP and PUP both GTL / Natural Gas Based?

Yes, but PUP hasn't been reformulated to meet Dexos1 Gen2 requirements. PUP is no longer relevant in a modern TGDI world.

I don't see the allure of GTL. I like to think of it like muddy water vs tap water to achieve a clean distilled water. It doesn't really matter what you start with if the end result is the same base.

Originally Posted by Greggy_D
Originally Posted by Petabytes
Natural gas base is one of a main reason too.

I keep seeing this. Why is this an advantage?

Shell is marketing it as the next great thing, and they have to. They went all in on GTL and spent a ton of money on their Pearl plant in Qatar.

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
I don't see the allure of GTL. I like to think of it like muddy water vs tap water to achieve a clean distilled water. It doesn't really matter what you start with if the end result is the same base.

I think someone here told me that the basestock is a lil' better using the GTL. Dont hold me to it

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Originally Posted by RDY4WAR

I think someone here told me that the basestock is a lil' better using the GTL. Dont hold me to it

It's better than typical group III and "almost as good" as PAO, but much cheaper to produce. That's its allure.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
much cheaper to produce. That's its allure.

I feel like this is the real reason Shell went that route with no advantage for the consumer.

Did M1 go to gtl (I thought I'd read that here) or is it still grp III Visom (which I read here too :p)?

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Did M1 go to gtl (I thought I'd read that here) or is it still grp III Visom (which I read here too :p)?

Yes, VISOM was always their intermediate product until they could get GTL online to replace it. They tend to blend with PAO (they produce a lot of PAO, but it is expensive) to get their desired performance characteristics.

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
OVERKILL: How many of these GTL does SOPUS have?

Thanks in advance

One: Pearl. But they spent an absolutely obscene amount of money bringing that facility online, so it is in their best interest to use the product and promote the product as much as they can to try and recoup that.

One thing I don't understand is if GTL is their big thing what is wrong with their Ultra Platinum oil, it is almost impossible to find in stores. If walmart carried it I am sure it would sell quite well.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted by diyjake
One thing I don't understand is if GTL is their big thing what is wrong with their Ultra Platinum oil, it is almost impossible to find in stores. If walmart carried it I am sure it would sell quite well.

Its online almost everyday and there is a current Pennzoil rebate.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pennzoil-Ultra-Platinum-5W-30-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-5-qt/55291206

Yes, and they've had it in stock. It used to be hit or miss, now they seem to be getting it and keeping it stocked for online orders.

Our local walmarts don't stock the Ultra Platinum and most people just get their oil of the shelves not online. Also the 0w-20 is like $58 on walmart.com which is crazy overpriced.

Originally Posted by scm
I know it's somewhat subjective, but I also know there is some hard facts on some of these having better additives over others. Out of the list below (5W-30 ACEA A5 requirement on a TGDI non GM), how would you rank the following oils, and more importantly, why?

Mobil 1 AF
Mobil 1 EP
Castrol Edge
Castrol EP (not sure it is ACEA A5...)
Pennzoil PP
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum (non D1G2)

Personally, I have been using PUP in my TGDI cars without issue, but as some have pointed out D1G2 has merit and I'm looking to switch my stash over to one of the oils above. When I initially started considering doing my own oil changes I used M1 EP on my car (this was 4 years ago.) Since then I had a period where I used Castrol Edge (based on a recommendation of my Grandfather who is a small engine mechanic), and more recently to PUP because from everything I read, it seemed to be "one of the best around."

Look forward to hearing what you guys have to say. I know whatever I put in my ride (even if it was Supertech Full Synthetic) will be just fine, but I also like hearing people out who have more information than I do.

You never even mentioned your OCI length. Without knowing, you may be able to save money and use a house brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back