Pennzoil vs Mobil 1 vs Castrol?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scm

I know it's somewhat subjective, but I also know there is some hard facts on some of these having better additives over others. Out of the list below (5W-30 ACEA A5 requirement on a TGDI non GM), how would you rank the following oils, and more importantly, why?

Mobil 1 AF
Mobil 1 EP
Castrol Edge
Castrol EP (not sure it is ACEA A5...)
Pennzoil PP
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum (non D1G2)

Personally, I have been using PUP in my TGDI cars without issue, but as some have pointed out D1G2 has merit and I'm looking to switch my stash over to one of the oils above. When I initially started considering doing my own oil changes I used M1 EP on my car (this was 4 years ago.) Since then I had a period where I used Castrol Edge (based on a recommendation of my Grandfather who is a small engine mechanic), and more recently to PUP because from everything I read, it seemed to be "one of the best around."

Look forward to hearing what you guys have to say. I know whatever I put in my ride (even if it was Supertech Full Synthetic) will be just fine, but I also like hearing people out who have more information than I do.

35.gif

All of the oils you listed are probably splitting hairs. We could look at the VOA on them all day long and not come up with an answer. However there will be those who can put these oils in the order of preference and maybe add some oils that you didn't list.

I don't do UOAs myself but have read thousands of them and much is owner & engine dependent for a variety of reasons. I'll be the oddball here and say that I look & listen for a few main things in an oil. Does the oil meet the spec for my engine and does it hurt/help my MPG and does it make my engine quieter or louder(more audible).

How does the oil make my engine sound & feel PLUS a whole laundry list of secondary things that we here at BITOG look/listen for over the lifetime of our engines. Others will chime in with their advise & opinions based on their own experience & UOAs etc.

Didn't we have a thread like this a few weeks ago? Anyway I'd use PU 5W30, it meets the spec for my vehicles and I like Sopus products. I don't have DI or LSPI issues to be concerned with. In your case pick an oil that meets the spec for your engine, they're all good.

They are all splitting hairs and wont make 1 miles difference on the reliability of the engine as long as it is changed properly.

One factor you didnt consider is price. M1 and Pennz habe rebates. (Like $10 to $12 / 5qt jug). At walmart/amazon pricing that brings the cost down to ~$12/jug.... cheaper than supertech.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
does it make my engine quieter or louder(more audible).

How does the oil make my engine sound & feel.

This is me. I like a smooth quiet engine. I use Pennzoil and Quaker State because of this.

Originally Posted by ATex7239
Pick the cheapest one you can find readily available, which meets the desired spec, and be done with it.

Agree.

I just put in Pennz PP 0W20 in my 1.5T for the Civic. Stood in the oil aisle at Walmart and looked at them all. Came down to the PP and Castrol Edge and the 2 buck diff in price was the deciding factor. Both met the SN Plus and Dexos requirement

So far so good

Originally Posted by Char Baby

I don't do UOAs myself but have read thousands of them and much is owner & engine dependent for a variety of reasons. I'll be the oddball here and say that I look & listen for a few main things in an oil. Does the oil meet the spec for my engine and does it hurt/help my MPG and does it make my engine quieter or louder(more audible).

That sounds an awful lot like me. That's why QS isn't on my list... didn't like how it sounded.

Originally Posted by daves87rs
No Valvoline?

Price wise didn't make the cut, and for whatever reason Modern Engine 5W-30 isn't easy to locate near me. Love their Maxlife products though, ran that in a old leaking W-Body 3.4L V6, made it less leaky and helped her purr smoothly.

Originally Posted by turnbowm
For a TGDI, use a Dexos1 Gen2 synthetic of your choice. I prefer PP because of the GTL basestock.

See, I'm not as familiar with things like who uses what basestock, that's the kind of info I'm looking for.

I also switched from PUP to PP because of the new formula for SN PLUS as my one is TGDI. Natural gas base is one of a main reason too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Petabytes
Natural gas base is one of a main reason too.

I keep seeing this. Why is this an advantage?

They're all good but add Valvoline to the mix. Any of the 4 will be fine. A lot's at stake so they will comply to the needs of TGDI engines and LSPI.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back