Not trolling, but all things being equal, why not just use SuperTech for everything?

You are quite welcome. I'm sure it varies by grade, but these Group II+ bases are pretty impressive in terms of what they allow. We know with WM it's all about the bottom line and if the blender can reduce their manufacturing cost while still being able to get the same performance and carry the same approvals, I'm sure they will.
That's right, there's nothing wrong with Group II+ bases. Those alone, or in conjunction with higher level bases, can make fine oils for most (not all) average engines. Chevron and others have been or did do this for decades.

The most radical looking oil of them all! I can hear that Predator chasing me....."over here....anytime....." Get your mini-gun ready!

20200505_064200.jpg

I remember when you could an oil change using Supertech oil and a filter for less than $5 on my old 1994 Toyota Camry.

Now it cost $23 just for the oil and about $4 for the filter. Since I change my oil twice a year let's just say it's $25 per oil change.

Instead of doing this, I ended up with close to 100 free quarts of motor oil over the years thanks to the Rebates & Promotions section here at BITOG. I also invest in better quality filters at Amazon, Ebay, and Rockauto.

Everything gets delivered right to my door. I will probably save about 100 hours of my life from the unique misery of shopping at a Walmart. I also save about $1000 over the course of my life by not using a car to go to Walmart and back.

Let's say I do two oil changes every year and replace a Fram Extra Guard ($4.17) every other oil change.

The net cost is just two bucks and a little change!

I am now doing better than I did way back in the Clinton Era. Inflation adjusted I am looking at $2.09 in the year 2022 which is equal to only $1.05 in 1994.

I have saved nearly 80%! Plus a couple hours of free time every year. And here's the best part...

I get to put it all in my brokerage account!

Now if I keep doing this for 50 years and invest my $45 in annual savings in the S&P 500, I'll have nearly $53,000 by the time I'm 99.

So if you must know, I want to someday be the wealthiest centenarian on the planet. And the only way I can ever do this is if I never buy Supertech motor oil.

Do you have a problem with people being able to spend money? Some people choose to "waste" their money on extravagant trips and high-end restaurants. Others choose to spend it on cars. Others buy junk for their house.
NOPE. I'm a libertarian. Do what you want without fear of reprisal. I like a little common sense.

Just picked up 2 5qt jugs of 5W30 ST syn (the 10K version) that has dropped by $1! ~$20.5. Decided to keep it easy on my 2 vehicles that I use ST on and bump the Focus up to 5W30 to match the Lexus. ST filters too. $25 oil changes.

Just picked up 2 5qt jugs of 5W30 ST syn (the 10K version) that has dropped by $1! ~$20.5. Decided to keep it easy on my 2 vehicles that I use ST on and bump the Focus up to 5W30 to match the Lexus. ST filters too. $25 oil changes.
Good buy. I was wondering if the Kirkland oil ( made by the same guys who make ST oil ) has come down any.

Wait, you got two 5-gallon jugs for $20 at Wally's?

Not trying to start a forum war, but I've been wondering, if you're someone who changes oil frequently, does it make sense to use anything other than SuperTech synthetic? I've never used it before, what I've used previously is Mobil1 AFE, Valvoline SynPower, or Castrol Edge Titanium. My goal is to maximize engine reliability.

Is there really any difference using something like Castrol Edge vs SuperTech (both 5w30)? If both are D1G2, SN+, and GF-6 certified, and you do changes every 4,000 miles or so, what's the downside? I don't mind paying more if I'm getting my money's worth, but lately everything has been around double SuperTech's price. So if there's truly no benefit, I'd rather not throw away money.

Engine is an FA20DIT in a WRX. I take LSPI very seriously and I also know TGDI engines like to shear oil hence the frequent changes.
It is very, very unlikely that you'd ever see any difference in wear-rates given the conditions you discuss. So as far as "reliability" goes, that's a wash.

As to the LSPI, I'd suggest you get the lube with the least Ca; it's the antaginist in the additive equation. Mg is neutural, and Zn is of benefit. So any SP/GF6 rated lube you choose would be good, but if you want "better", check the VOAs at PQIA and see which has the lower Ca counts.

Walmart Mobil 5W-30 EP is like $26.47 per jug online. I just bought two of them and if you use the coupon code above, it comes to $22.59 per jug. The rebate is good for 10-quarts so you can buy them for ($22.59 + tax) - $10 rebate.
Have you actually successfully used the rebate? Those rebates typically exclude receipts from Walmart

Back