New Audi SQ8 - Break In Oil Change Or Let It Ride?

Has 500 miles on it now. I plan on changing it every 5K miles.

Should I change the oil now and at other intervals before 5k miles or let it go?

The car calls for 0W-40 VW 511 00 so there’s not much of a selection out there other than OEM and Mobil 1 ESP that I can see.

You are going to get all sorts of different answers here, but I think that nearly all purchasers of a brand new Audi would never think of this. (Or any make, for that matter) They would simply take the car to the dealer for the first oil change whenever the user manual says. Probably even late. And those engines live long, happy, and productive lives.

Last edited:
I'd probably change it around 1-3k miles. Some like to do it even sooner, but I don't think it's necessary or worth the time. If you look at most UOA's on the initial OE oil, the wear metals are higher but never at a level that is concerning.

Should I change the oil now and at other intervals before 5k miles or let it go?
Here is the logical answer: the engine might be very clean after the manufacturing process, or there might be debris in there. There will also be some assembly lube left and mixed with the oil. Change it, and do another change at 2500 miles and then proceed with 5000 mile changes. It's and expensive engine, and if you have the ability to easily change the oil, why not?

The car calls for 0W-40 VW 511 00 so there’s not much of a selection out there other than OEM and Mobil 1 ESP that I can see.
Mobil 1 ESP is good enough. It hardly gets any better, as Mobil always has the latest additive tech from Infineum when it comes to motor oil.

When I bought my 2008 DTS, I did the first oil change at about 600 miles. And I took the oil filter apart. I found several pieces of silicne sealant and some small particles of metal from the machining process. These were all caught by the filter, (I think) and no particles were found in the drain pan. This was a bottom plug pull, btw.
It also got a magnetic drain plug at that same time.

So, you may not NEED to change the oil, but I felt a lot better after I did.

Every new car I've ever owned I've performed an early first oil change of around 1000 miles, sometimes less. I feel like it can't hurt a thing and it could very well be beneficial in squeezing out that tiny bit extra of longevity of the engine. The amount of wear metal debris inside a new engine will always be high, why wouldn't you want to get rid of that?

watch oil usage closely until at least 5000 miles (every gas fill-up), change it between 2000-3000 miles, then go on with factory intervals.

Back