Euro xxW-30/0W-20 or ILSAC 5W-30 in TGDI Subaru?

Car in question: 2019 Subaru Ascent, FA24F, about 30K on it.

I’ve been running M1 ESP 0W-30 for the last oil change on it. Car is used primarily for road trips. Saw that Walmart carries M1 ESP 0W-20 X2 now so it’s a paralysis by analysis debate now. This engine is hard on oil - long timing chains, and it’s somewhat power dense. Oil dilution is a common thing and the usual Japanese “0W-xx recommended for optimal fuel economy and easier starting but thicker oils protect better” is in the owner’s manual. I was going to use ESP 5W-30 or PP Euro 5W-30, or go back to a ILSAC oil, a 5W-30 - likely PP or M1.

Worth trying the ESP 0W-20 or stick to my original plan?

If it's hot, highway, hard on oil, I'd be looking for the thickest oil that's acceptable while under warranty.

5w should be a better choice than 0w when you don't need the 0w rating.

Thicker is better, until you go too thick for the conditions.

If it's hot, highway, hard on oil, I'd be looking for the thickest oil that's acceptable while under warranty.

5w should be a better choice than 0w when you don't need the 0w rating.

Thicker is better, until you go too thick for the conditions.
The car is out of warranty except for an extended 5/100 3rd party plan, CA emissions and maybe a Subaru CVT campaign. 5W-30s are typically my choice of oil for replacing 0W-20 in “severe” use - my definition of severe is gig work/road trips/off-road/towing and long commutes in stop & go.

No need for a thick boi oil like 5W-40 Rotella or Euro oils here.

There should be an accurate oil temperature gauge on your car. You could base your choice of oil grade on the highest oil temperatures in the summer. Check the temperature while towing if that applies to you.

This would be pretty reasonable:
<110°C: 0W-20
110-117°C: 5W-30
118°C+: Euro 5W-30

The ESP X2 0W-20 meets the MB 229.71 standard, which is pretty stringent. It should be a very good oil.

There should be an accurate oil temperature gauge on your car. You could base your choice of oil grade on the highest oil temperatures in the summer. Check the temperature while towing if that applies to you.

The ESP X2 0W-20 meets the MB 229.71 standard, which is pretty stringent. It should be a very good oil.
I must ask, but, what?

ESP 5w30 or Castrol Euro 0w30, I get better hot oil pressure with the Castrol even though both are good. Going by the specs on the Castrol euro 0w30 it must be a special sauce.
I currently have M1 ESP 0W-30 in it. I’ll see what WM has - AutoZone is running a tax month promo. $50 for a jug of M1 with an STP blue oil filter(AZ version of a Ecogard/Premium Guard) and air filter.

Car in question: 2019 Subaru Ascent, FA24F, about 30K on it.

I’ve been running M1 ESP 0W-30 for the last oil change on it. Car is used primarily for road trips. Saw that Walmart carries M1 ESP 0W-20 X2 now so it’s a paralysis by analysis debate now. This engine is hard on oil - long timing chains, and it’s somewhat power dense. Oil dilution is a common thing and the usual Japanese “0W-xx recommended for optimal fuel economy and easier starting but thicker oils protect better” is in the owner’s manual. I was going to use ESP 5W-30 or PP Euro 5W-30, or go back to a ILSAC oil, a 5W-30 - likely PP or M1.

Worth trying the ESP 0W-20 or stick to my original plan?
Stick to ESP 5w30, or upgrade to Premium Plus 0w30. It’s what I went with literally the day after I took delivery of my Ascent. Don’t really care that 0w20 is recommended for CAFE, the FA24 isn’t one of those engines that should be run on the lowest HTHS one can find.

There’s not. I’ve got a ‘19 Ascent Touring and literally no gauges or anything in stock form. It appears the only way to get good info about what’s going on is to get a Cobb Accessport, sadly.

If high SAPS oil is an option, Castrol Edge 0W30 is IMO still best oil out there with approvals.
Otherwise, Mobil1 ESP 5W30 as it will be more shear stable than ESP 0W30.

There’s not. I’ve got a ‘19 Ascent Touring and literally no gauges or anything in stock form. It appears the only way to get good info about what’s going on is to get a Cobb Accessport, sadly.
Subie you can change the gauges in your display screen to show engine oil temperature. I dont have an ascent in front of me right now but I've done it before on one. I believe I was able to select which options of gauges to display for a certain information screen.

Subie you can change the gauges in your display screen to show engine oil temperature. I dont have an ascent in front of me right now but I've done it before on one. I believe I was able to select which options of gauges to display for a certain information screen.
This is true. @SubieRubyRoo 's google fu must be weak!

This is true. @SubieRubyRoo 's google fu must be weak!
I even RTFM’d but it was not immediately clear. There’s no notation in the index; it’s buried in the Favorites tab. I got it now 🤣

FWIW, the only post I could find about it said it was on page 219 of the OM, but it was on 216. So Google fu didn’t even help, since the poster was confused! 👍🏻

I'd use Mobil 1 ESP. Very shear stable. The Russian Oil Club has two Kurt Orbahn shear stability tests with this oil and it does very well.

Back