Using Liqui-Moly 6200 0W-20 in a 2019 Subaru Impreza?

I usually run Shell Rotella Gas/Truck 0w-20 in my car 2019 Subaru Impreza. I ran out so went to the store but they don’t have it in stock. The only appealing oil I wanted to use was Liqui-Moly. Now I know it’s designed to be used in VW and Audi applications and can be used in both gas or diesel cars.

My car calls for an API SN or SN Resource Conserving rated 0W-20 oil, GF-5.

This stuff is euro rated ACEA C5 which covers gas/diesel engines. I can’t find if it has an equivalent API rating. Will running this stuff in my car for one oil change harm anything?

I see Liqui-Moly makes API SP/GF-6 Molygen that’s more geared towards Japanese vehicles so maybe I’ll try that next oil change. The Shell Gas/Truck 0W-20 is becoming impossible to find.

Last edited:
I usually run Shell Rotella Gas/Truck 0w-20 in my car 2019 Subaru Impreza. I ran out so went to the store but they don’t have it in stock. The only appealing oil I wanted to use was Liqui-Moly. Now I know it’s designed to be used in VW and Audi applications and can be used in both gas or diesel cars.

This stuff is euro rated ACEA C5 which covers gas/diesel engines. I can’t find if it has an equivalent API rating. Will running this stuff in my car for one oil change harm anything?

I see Liqui-Moly makes API SP/GF-6 Molygen that’s more geared towards Japanese vehicles so maybe I’ll try that next oil change. The Shell Gas/Truck 0W-20 is becoming impossible to find.
Here is what came up for your car using their app.

Screenshot_20230430_024748_LIQUI MOLY.jpg
Screenshot_20230430_024845_LIQUI MOLY.jpg
Screenshot_20230430_025008_LIQUI MOLY.jpg
Screenshot_20230430_025102_LIQUI MOLY.jpg

I'm sure the 6200 is fine.
I guess it’s just because it doesn’t show any API certifications or equivalent so it’s just making me nervous. It’s not a temperamental engine, I figure any 0w-20 should be ok for at least one oil change.

I grabbed some Molygen for the next oil change. I’ll keep an eye on the current 6200 and see how it performs.

I guess it’s just because it doesn’t show any API certifications or equivalent so it’s just making me nervous. It’s not a temperamental engine, I figure any 0w-20 should be ok for at least one oil change.

I grabbed some Molygen for the next oil change. I’ll keep an eye on the current 6200 and see how it performs.
The 6200 is the VW508 oil. That isn't going to hurt a thing here.

The 6200 is the VW508 oil. That isn't going to hurt a thing here.
I figured just because it was formulated specifically for VW/Audi doesn’t mean it wouldn’t be able to be used in my Subaru. Even though it’s not API certified I assume almost all modern oils meet the requirements that it would entail.

HTHS is in line with common SAE spec of >2.6cP for a 20 grade.
The DP will work fine in a low stress 2L subaru motor.
I have ongoing fuel dilution concerns with D.I engines, I haven't perfomred a UOA on our subaru 2.0 yet.

from the Lubrizol 360 50800 webpage:

The main physical and chemical requirements for VW50800/50900 oils are shown below:

Requirement Method Unit Limit
HTHS viscosity CEC L-36-A-90 cP ≥ 2.6
Sulphated Ash DIN 51575 %wt ≤ 1.0
Phosphorus DIN 51399-1 %wt Report
Sulfur DIN EN ISO 14596 %wt Report
Evaporation loss (NOACK) CEC L-40-A-93 (B) % < 11
Total Base Number DIN 51369-1 mgKOH/g ≥ 6.0
VW50800/50900 is usually coupled with ACEA C5.

The Shell gas truck line is no more. They discontinued it.

Back