Instrumented Fuel Economy Test - 0W-20 vs 5W-30

twX

I recently changed the oil on my Subaru to Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy, from PP 5W-30. At the end of my first drive with the 0W-20 I noticed that the MAF reading on my datalogger at warm idle was under 2.0 g/s, which was unusual. I decided to look at some recent datalogs I had taken with the old 5W-30 to compare fuel consumption.

I compared datalogs taken at warm idle since 80-90% of engine load at idle is due to friction of oiled components, so any effect would be more noticeable. Engine sensor readings relevant to fuel economy were monitored to make sure the tests were comparable, most importantly coolant and oil temperature, air fuel ratio, ignition timing, rpm, and a/c compressor status. All but one of the tests were done on the same tank of fuel. The oil filter wasn't changed, and no other engine maintenance was done recently.

Here are the results:

FE - 0W-20 vs 5W-30.jpg

With the 5W-30, fuel consumption at idle was 6.5% higher on average. The difference would be lower with the engine under load. I estimate a 1.5% improvement in part load cruising, and 0.8% improvement at WOT, based on some data from engine friction studies. I'd expect larger differences with a cold engine.

The difference is a lot higher than I would've expected, since the old 5W-30 should have been close to the same viscosity as the fresh 0W-20, from fuel dilution and a bit of shear.

I suspect that most of the difference is due to oil formulation. The 5W-30 was Dexos1 Gen2 (Sept. 2020). The 0W-20 is Dexos1 Gen3 (June 2022), and it's a bit lower in detergents and ZDDP, and contains no boron. The "Advanced Fuel Economy" might not just be a marketing gimmick. The age of the 5W-30 shouldn't have had a large effect with only 6,600 km on it. The test done with 3,000 km on the oil showed a similar result. I'll take some more logs once the 0W-20 is fuel-diluted to see if it makes a difference.

Correction: The PP 0W-20 I used isn't called Advanced Fuel Economy. I got my Pennzoil and my Mobil 1 mixed up.

I have seen 230f oil temps ony buddies Subaru in the summer, it seemed to stay around 210 to 220f most of the time. That's too hot for 20 weight oil if you want your engine to love you long time. 20 weight oil will definitely make the engine last till the warranty is up and then some.
What's 20 weight oil at 230f like 4 or 5cSt? Running a 30 weight oil will put you a lot closer to the idealized 11.5cSt viscosity when operating in that 210 to 230f temperature range than a 20 weight oil.
A 20 weight oil is probably fine in the winter if you have a winter and assuming the oil only ever rarely gets above 212f during winter.

I have seen 230f oil temps ony buddies Subaru in the summer, it seemed to stay around 210 to 220f most of the time. That's too hot for 20 weight oil if you want your engine to love you long time. 20 weight oil will definitely make the engine last till the warranty is up and then some.
What's 20 weight oil at 230f like 4 or 5cSt? Running a 30 weight oil will put you a lot closer to the idealized 11.5cSt viscosity when operating in that 210 to 230f temperature range than a 20 weight oil.
A 20 weight oil is probably fine in the winter if you have a winter and assuming the oil only ever rarely gets above 212f during winter.
The oil temperature on my car ranges from 85 to 95°C in the winter, which is why I'm okay with trying out 0W-20. In the summer it ranges from 92 to 100°C, so it would probably be fine for summer as well, but I might switch back to 5W-30 for summer, or 0W-30 year-round.

The oil temperature on my car ranges from 85 to 95°C in the winter, which is why I'm okay with trying out 0W-20. In the summer it ranges from 92 to 100°C, so it would probably be fine for summer as well, but I might switch back to 5W-30 for summer, or 0W-30 year-round.
Summer in New Mexico we're seeing up to 230f which is like 110c on the oil.
85c would be just about perfect for 20 weight oil.

I wonder if the difference shrinks when the engine is loaded.

Yes it does.
Because turning the engine over itself in neutral is only a tthing compared to the fuel used to go places.
Dragging the gross weight up hills, pushing the air out of the way at speed, tires rolling resistance, driveline needing to be spun, if you are me add in deep mud or snow frequently that takes enormous amounts of energy to get through, and more.
If 0w20 oil means X amount less fuel used idling in park or neutral, when going down the road in real world conditions it is maybe X÷100 less fuel. Add in more weight, less aaerodynamics like say a logging truck, mud a foot deep, snow 2 feet deep, a 15 degree hill climb, 28 tires to turn and 3 differentials and it could well now be X÷10,000.

Driving my own F150 for an example, impossible to decipher better or worse mpg using 0w30, 5w30, or 5w40.
Drastic change in fuel used though when climbing say a mountain, pushing a headwind, driving in bumper deep snow, -30 compared to +30, just driving around in 4x4 because its icy and a couple inches of snow it uses much more gas.
Motor oil weight is trivial in real world conditions.

Back