2022 Camry 2.5 fuel dilution/viscosity selection question

We have a 23 with 30k miles on ours. Engine oil doesn’t seem to get diluted much at all. It’s usually fairly clear when I change it a 7500 miles. Been using TGMO 0w16 with no measurable oil usage either.

I don’t think this engine is a known diluter, certainly not like a poorly designed and fueled Kia/Hyundai engine which will have the oil black with 3-5% fuel dilution in 3k miles.

We have a 23 with 30k miles on ours. Engine oil doesn’t seem to get diluted much at all. It’s usually fairly clear when I change it a 7500 miles. Been using TGMO 0w16 with no measurable oil usage either.

I don’t think this engine is a known diluter, certainly not like a poorly designed and fueled Kia/Hyundai engine which will have the oil black with 3-5% fuel dilution in 3k miles.
Thank you, this is exactly the type of info I was looking for.

Good morning, long time reader, first time poster. I’m curious as to whether anyone has any insight regarding the Camry 2.5 A25A (2022 Camry SE 2.5 Awd) engine in regard to fuel dilution. The engine is both direct and port injected.

I also am curious as to everyone’s opinion regarding viscosity selection in relation to vehicle usage, ambient temp, and of course fuel dilution; which is the main point of this thread. I recently purchased the vehicle for my wife. She will likely start it and drive away in the summer, or let it idle for 20 minutes in the winter, in addition to being heavy on the gas between stop signs and lights. This car will see both city and highway usage and I am located in southwestern PA for temperature reference. The vehicle specs 0w16 and I purchased it with 40k miles and Carfax reported 10k OCI at the dealer who may or may not have used a 16 or 20 weight (would assume 0w20 bulk but cannot be sure). I do not want to run a 16 or 20 weight given the vehicle will be operated at higher speeds and under load which meets Toyotas criteria for increased viscosity usage; however, not clearly defined. I spoke with David from HPL to pick his brain and he inquired about this engines fuel dilution as I was leaning toward 0w30 premium plus (don’t really need a 0w in my temp zone but liked the hths of 3 and the fact that it’s not as large of a jump from 0w16 as say a thicker 30 may be) or use the 5w30 no VII. In turn, I’m posting this to gain some input from you guys regarding this question. Oil change intervals would likely be 7500+, circumstance permitting, after the initial 4K run with whatever HPL I choose. I searched for this info prior to posting and only found a few threads and one informative post which had a 0w16 uoa showing minimal fuel dilution for this motor. Thanks for your time!

PS. I run HPL 5w30 pcmo in my Tundra (178k miles) and in the first 300 miles of use it all but eliminated my timing chain tensioner “clacking” that occured about 6 minutes into idling and then subsided once warm.
What does Toyota recommend for oci’s? Guy I know told me Toyota puts 5,000 or 6 month sticker for oci’s that’s on a 22’ rav 4 same engine takes 0w16.

What does Toyota recommend for oci’s? Guy I know told me Toyota puts 5,000 or 6 month sticker for oci’s that’s on a 22’ rav 4 same engine takes 0w16.
10k oci but there’s not a chance I’d do that on 0w16 under the conditions the vehicle will be driven (would be inclined to do so with a 30 weight or high end oil such as HPL). Their recommendation for 5k is more in line for what most vehicles endure daily driving yet some still follow the 10k oci.

I would be comfortable with the 5-6000 or 6 month whichever comes 1st. That’s what I followed since my 1st auto been driving 21 yrs. I’m still under the impression 0w8 and 16 are factory fill i would think bulk 0w20 goes in at dealer performed svc’s.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply, I genuinely appreciate it. The 20 minute idling was a slight exaggeration, made in jest, to better portray her vehicle habits. It’s prob more like 10-15 but nonetheless excessive. 😆
My wife is the same way. She wants her vehicles warm in the winter time before she gets in to drive off. Often the car is idling for longer than the trip will take. She'll warm the car for 10+ minutes and drive it for 5 minutes. That's just the way it is and I don't care! 🤷‍♂️ My baby wants to be warm.;)
She's done it all of her life and it's never hurt our vehicles even though it may not be the optimal thing to do. We've had vehicles for 15-18 years with several hundred thousand miles on them and it didn't matter!🤌 Maybe it mattered for fuel economy at that moment but not for the duration.

Last edited:
My wife is the same way. She wants her vehicles warm in the winter time before she gets in to drive off. Often the car is idling for longer than the trip will take. She'll warm the car for 10+ minutes and drive it for 5 minutes. That's just the way it is and I don't care! 🤷‍♂️ My baby wants to be warm.;)
She's done it all of her life and it's never hurt our vehicles even though it may not be the optimal thing to do. We've had vehicles for 15-18 years with several hundred thousand miles on them and it didn't matter!🤌 Maybe it mattered for fuel economy at that moment but not for the duration.
Exactly! I’m not trying to change her habits, I’m trying to mitigate wear based on her habits.

It sounds almost as though she prioritizes her comfort and wellbeing over the machine which will inevitably be disposed of anyways…

Quite a foreign concept around here.

It sounds almost as though she prioritizes her comfort and wellbeing over the machine which will inevitably be disposed of anyways…

Quite a foreign concept around here.
Yeah! :)
We've never had any issues with engines while doing this. She's let the car idle sooooo long that the driveway was melted too and I didn't have to go out and snow blow. 😉... JK!

However, I have let my cars (that were left outside), idle for ~45 minutes while I snow blowed the driveway, and I'm not kidding!
Funny thing is, I forgot they were running while I was running the snowblower. When I got back in the cars to move them back into their spot in the driveway, they were toasty!

I may have other issues with cars but drivetrain's isn't one of them.

Last edited:
I had a friend that had his wife move the car out of the driveway so they could get their boat out of the garage. They hitched the boat to the truck and she pulled the car back up the drive before they left for the lake. When they got home after a long day at the lake, they found the car still idling in the driveway! 10hrs just sitting there running unattended.

I had a friend that had his wife move the car out of the driveway so they could get their boat out of the garage. They hitched the boat to the truck and she pulled the car back up the drive before they left for the lake. When they got home after a long day at the lake, they found the car still idling in the driveway! 10hrs just sitting there running unattended.
Sounds like a stunt my wife could be capable of doing.

Back