Engine break in.

People quote cars from the 80s 90s saying change the oil at 500 miles. Oil was crap back then. Haven't really seen any info proving doing that does anything really except get rid of the assembly lube. GM still says you have to do it in the Corvette so maybe yes, so says GM.

A small smattering of the topic already covered ...

I'm kind of in the same boat. I have a 2024 Chevy Trax with 500 miles. My gut tells me to change it early, but I probably won't. I'll probably hit 3,000 to 4,000 miles in 6 months so that will be my interval. The vast majority of vehicles never get an early oil change and I doubt there is any proof doing an early oil change extends engine life. If I were interested in tracking wear metals I'd do a series of uoa's starting early, but I'm not so I won't.

If it has synthetic in It I would change it at 5k miles or when it turns from yellow to very light brown which ever comes first

I doubt very many Toyota Corollas get a first oil change at 500 miles and I seriously doubt it would make any difference in a Toyota 4 cylinder in terms of engine life.
What's the difference between doubt and seriously doubt?
To get your point across try SERIOUSLY DOUBT.
Or; WRITE THE WHOLE SENTENCE IN CAPS!!!! complete with exclamation marks.

I know of two 2013 Toyota Matrix and one 2010 Yaris that all got their first oil change(s) before 1,000 kms.
Add to that several other new vehicles, lawnmowers, garden tractors, snow blowers, pressure washers etc.
The new oil drained from these engines always have glitter and a metallic color, leaving behind metal flakes in the drain pan.

A break-in oil is one that has elevated anti wear additives to quickly coat the engine parts that contact each other.
Those break-in oils may increase friction and reduce power and fuel economy, so it may be beneficial to drain them early.

No need to change oil at 500 miles unless specifically stated by the manufacturer. Adhere to the owner’s manual if there is anything regarding driving speeds and RPM for the first xxx miles. Most of the world’s population drive a new car like they drive when its got 60k miles to include oil change intervals without issue. It’s the .00001 percent like BITOG group that even give it a second thought.

I generally will do my first oil change at around 800-1,200 miles. And then my next is around 4,000...after that I settle into my usual regimen.

But that doesn’t mean I’m doing it right, no one I think really knows. I’ve run into techs that say to let it go till 3,000 to let the factory oil really work into the camshaft lobes (high moly). And I’ve heard people say to get it out of there right at the 500 mile mark to rid the engine if the break-in metals. I choose the happy medium.

Watch this, then make your decision.

Just a note on pre filling oil filters. His video shows the oil filter slanted. If your new car has electronic throttle you can depress the accelerator past 80% when turning over the engine. That will prime the oil filter without starting the car.

Last edited:
Back