Keep or change filter-new car, changing out break-in oil?

Brand new '21 Mazda CX-5 non-turbo. Changing the oil at about 600 miles to get the metal sparkles out. As the factory Japanese filter is well regarded, should I keep it on until I change the next time (at 3500-4000 miles)? It's said that a partially used filter works better than new.

If you're changing oil at 600 miles I'd leave the filter on. Filtets don't typically get more efficient as they load up (plenty of data shows that), but with a new engine the break-in debris really won't be enough to load up a filter much in 3500-4000 miles, especially if you dump the factory oil at 600-1000 miles.

I'll add to the clear as mud answers. I have done 1500-2k and filter changes on new vehicles. Unfortunately for all of us; there is no proven answer to follow on break in.

I f we all just "went to the owners manual", there would be no reason for BITOG. One must keep in mind that the owners manual is tailored to an end-life of the product, so you will buy another. Its to get you to what the MFG feels is the "lifetime" of the product, with the minimal amount of maintenance/care I see no reason not to alter that in the hopes that I might beat that guideline, and have a better choice of whether I have to trade it or keep it down the road

Brand new '21 Mazda CX-5 non-turbo. Changing the oil at about 600 miles to get the metal sparkles out. As the factory Japanese filter is well regarded, should I keep it on until I change the next time (at 3500-4000 miles)? It's said that a partially used filter works better than new.
Not needed no benefit, you have a filter to get any substantial residual machining particulate out.
Had over 70 new enghines - no benefit seen to early change. Try to go at least 2000mile. But if you can only do 1500 then do that.
Use a Mazda Tokyo Roki Filter if its a spin on.

Not changing the Filter and just changing the oil would be a BIG mistake, as any large particulate in there could get washed out of the media during a bypass event - so no benefit over leaving the FF there.

This is not a Chonda ODPE engine with no filter.

Drive your 2k then change the oil.

THAT is the definitive answer ;)

I changed my oil early on my 17 Corolla. About 9000 miles instead of 10000. I changed the filter, too. Glad I did, doesn't burn a drop and it's at about 60k right now.

I would think there’s a problem with the engine if it’s shedding sparklies in today’s day and age!
Mine did, as i've read other mazdas do as well for the first change.

1625410552927.jpg

Mine did, as i've read other mazdas do as well for the first change.

View attachment 62270
That seems crazy to me for a modern, filtered automobile engine, though this isn’t the first time I’m reading this, if I’m being honest.

Subaru had a stop-sale on certain turbo vehicles way back in ‘08 due to bad machining or something, including my STI. One of the TSB checks was for sparklies, I believe. sounded bad.

I f we all just "went to the owners manual", there would be no reason for BITOG
Enough owner's manuals have a paragraph added specifically addressing "break-in oil changes" and in the majority of cases telling owners NOT to do it. The majority of owners don't even read the manual or don't do early oil changes anyway, so how soon will they experience engine failures from their mistake ?

Enough owner's manuals have a paragraph added specifically addressing "break-in oil changes" and in the majority of cases telling owners NOT to do it. The majority of owners don't even read the manual or don't do early oil changes anyway, so how soon will they experience engine failures from their mistake ?
No, most every one simply says "it is not needed". My point was, and still is, that the owners manual is more for the MFG, expectations on meeting life expectancy rather than longevity. A Good example is the oil change intervals of cars in the 60's and 70's. Can you imagine going 6000 mile OCI's on the oils of 1970, such as shown in the 1970 Pontiac Bonneville owners manual?

Back