Which oil for breaking in 2024 F250 7.3?

Hello all! First post!

Bought a brand new F250 7.3L last week! (4 miles on the odometer) Guessing the oil inside is motorcraft 5w-30?

Want to change it out at 500 miles. My reasoning is to get rid of the extra metals floating around the motor as it’s breaking in. Did some reading and higher zinc is great to break in motors. I’ve used mobile 1 syn in my previous vehicles without issue. Was wanting to use it for this truck I plan to have for 15+ years. I also read that higher zinc levels are bad for catalytic converters. I found for Mobile 1 5w-30 high mileage extended performance it has 800ppm phosphate and 870ppm zinc. It’s their highest zinc/phosphate other than their racing oils.
1. Does anybody have the motorcraft zinc numbers? Should I use motorcraft for the first 5k miles, then switch?
2. Cam lifter issues have occurred early on in this motors life. Is it still an issue? Have not seen it in threads lately.
3. The mobile 1 high mileage extended k performance oil meets Fords WAC-M2C961-A1 specs
4. So I go with a higher zinc oil for the first 2.5k then switch to mobile 1?
5. Am I splitting hairs?
6. I think big government wants us to intentionally shorten the life span of our engines. I won’t go down the road on why but the auto market seems it’s trying to adjust from the top down commands.
7. Gov is more worried about emissions than vehicle longevity by lowering the zinc levels. Could this be in part the cam/lifter issues? Also of course limited parts suppliers during COVID and parts being made in haste to satisfy demand.

Last edited:
I would use the Mobil 1 after the 500 mile mark along with Liqui Moly additive. Zinc is bad for the cats 🐱 in newer vehicles they said

Mobile 1 is junk. Stick with name brand. :ROFLMAO:

I'm not sure there is any sort of conspiracy around but 5w30 is fine.
I'd prefer Pennzoil Platinum or Mobil 1.

#5. (y)🪓🐰

Any top shelf 5w-30 synthetic will do great. It ships with Motorcraft semi synthetic 5w-30 made by ConocoPhillips. The Motorcraft oil is probably really similar to other Phillips products like Kendall and Phillips Shield semi-synthetic oils.

You may want to stick with the Ford oil and filter and let the dealer change it that way no trouble with warranty repairs.
I hear ya but if the oil meets Fords requirements how can they deny me? I’d also say if I use full synthetic I should not have lifter issues in the first place?

I hear ya but if the oil meets Fords requirements how can they deny me? I’d also say if I use full synthetic I should not have lifter issues in the first place?
No. Using any off the shelf oil from any of the majors with the proper ratings will be fine with Ford. If there is a problem with the cams and lifters oil syn or Blend use won't make a difference. Ford would have to prove your oil choice caused the problem.

From my experience Ford is really good with warranties or I am just lucky 🤔😉

I had issues with my 18 coyote after bumper to bumper warranty expired, never serviced my Mustang at ford's dealership, and yet when I got the issue with 5.0 they redo the whole timing hardware under powertrain warranty. Never asked for any service record 🙂.
The oil changes were done by me.

I drive 3.5 f150 and 18 mustang GT.

Based on that, when it comes to uograde my truck, it will be Ford again.

I know, it sounds as if they paid me for this post 🤣

Don’t worry too much about which oil and just change it frequently. Just make sure it meets fords specs.

As far as the lifters go I’ve been following this very closely for the last few years. It’s not apparent that the issue has been fixed, I’ve seen some 22s and even 23s with failures, too early to tell if it’s fixed for 24.

From what I have seen thou I can say it won’t matter what oil you use, sure some might be better but it’s a surface treatment/hardness issue by the look of it, if it’s going to happen no oil will stop it.

I’ve got over 4000 hours on my 2020 7.3L so far with no lifter issues.

Don’t worry too much about which oil and just change it frequently. Just make sure it meets fords specs.

As far as the lifters go I’ve been following this very closely for the last few years. It’s not apparent that the issue has been fixed, I’ve seen some 22s and even 23s with failures, too early to tell if it’s fixed for 24.

From what I have seen thou I can say it won’t matter what oil you use, sure some might be better but it’s a surface treatment/hardness issue by the look of it, if it’s going to happen no oil will stop it.

I’ve got over 4000 hours on my 2020 7.3L so far with no lifter issues.
If you can send some of that good 7.3 joujou to me I’d appreciate it! I was thinking the new 6.8 but didn’t want to get a new engine design on the first year. 🙏🏻

Hello all! First post!

Bought a brand new F250 7.3L last week! (4 miles on the odometer) Guessing the oil inside is motorcraft 5w-30?

Want to change it out at 500 miles. My reasoning is to get rid of the extra metals floating around the motor as it’s breaking in. Did some reading and higher zinc is great to break in motors. I’ve used mobile 1 syn in my previous vehicles without issue. Was wanting to use it for this truck I plan to have for 15+ years. I also read that higher zinc levels are bad for catalytic converters. I found for Mobile 1 5w-30 high mileage extended performance it has 800ppm phosphate and 870ppm zinc. It’s their highest zinc/phosphate other than their racing oils.
1. Does anybody have the motorcraft zinc numbers? Should I use motorcraft for the first 5k miles, then switch?
2. Cam lifter issues have occurred early on in this motors life. Is it still an issue? Have not seen it in threads lately.
3. The mobile 1 high mileage extended k performance oil meets Fords WAC-M2C961-A1 specs
4. So I go with a higher zinc oil for the first 2.5k then switch to mobile 1?
5. Am I splitting hairs?
6. I think big government wants us to intentionally shorten the life span of our engines. I won’t go down the road on why but the auto market seems it’s trying to adjust from the top down commands.
7. Gov is more worried about emissions than vehicle longevity by lowering the zinc levels. Could this be in part the cam/lifter issues? Also of course limited parts suppliers during COVID and parts being made in haste to satisfy demand.
Not to worry your filter is getting rid of them. Don't waste your money.

The Motorcraft 5w-30 is good oil so I wouldn't hesitate to stick with that for a while along with Motorcraft filters. I ran the MC in my 3.5 EB for several years before switching to PP.

Motorcraft oil is good oil but, in my thinking, you can get the same or better oil for less money.

Don't change you OEM oil early. It's a waste of money and resources (my opinion only). Change it by the OLM or time/mileage in the book.

As a CLS, I recommend the oil type of oil.

Preferably one that meets or exceeds OEM specs.

… preferably.

As a CLS, I recommend the oil type of oil.

Preferably one that meets or exceeds OEM specs.

… preferably.
Oil type of oil? Am I missing something here? I have the mobile 1 spec sheet but it does not show if it exceeds OEM specs. Is it possible to find out if an oil exceeds Fords MC? CLS? I much learning to do.

Back