New Audi SQ8 - Break In Oil Change Or Let It Ride?

Brand new 2024 Rav 4 Hybrid here with just over 6,000 miles. I am not changing the oil and filter until 10,000 miles per the dealerships instructions. I checked it the other day and the oil color looks brand new. It's very likely the oil is not a break in oil and is just the same as you should use on your next oil change.

I'm surprised some of y'all don't change the oil right in the dealer parking lot after receiving the keys lol.

I've only had two new vehicles so far in my lifetime. The first one was dealer maintained, the other one myself. Both made it to 50k before trade in without a early break in oil swap out.

I'm surprised some of y'all don't change the oil right in the dealer parking lot after receiving the keys lol.

I've only had two new vehicles so far in my lifetime. The first one was dealer maintained, the other one myself. Both made it to 50k before trade in without a early break in oil swap out.
You barely made it dude...lucky is all I'm saying...without 34/78/400/678 mile changes its a crap shoot with all those metal shavings in there.

In early 96 I bought a brand new 95 Trans Am and I changed the oil as soon as I got it home. But in this case the car was sitting on the dealer’s lot for over a year and it also had been taken on a lot of test drives because it had 200 miles on it. So that oil was definitely in need of changing.

In early 96 I bought a brand new 95 Trans Am and I changed the oil as soon as I got it home. But in this case the car was sitting on the dealer’s lot for over a year and it also had been taken on a lot of test drives because it had 200 miles on it. So that oil was definitely in need of changing.
No it was actually fine...

Change it early unless you are leasing. I just changed the oil at 701 miles yesterday in my wife’s new Yukon with the 6.2. There are a fair amount of issues with these engines on the forums so I figured it can’t hurt. I’ve done the same (500-1000mi) on the prior 2 GM V8s without any problems. I went with Mobil 1 Extended Performance and a Fram Ultra. The factory filter was on TIGHT! For me, $60 is cheap for a little peace of mind.

Change it early unless you are leasing. I just changed the oil at 701 miles yesterday in my wife’s new Yukon with the 6.2. There are a fair amount of issues with these engines on the forums so I figured it can’t hurt. I’ve done the same (500-1000mi) on the prior 2 GM V8s without any problems. I went with Mobil 1 Extended Performance and a Fram Ultra. The factory filter was on TIGHT! For me, $60 is cheap for a little peace of mind.
Oil has proven to not help with Chevy's mechanical problems.

Current VW Sportwagen. 102K/6 years and counting. Modded for >2x stock power. Tracked. First change at 7K after car sat a year on the lot. 180 psi compression all 4 cylinders. No oil consumption. It's really unnecessary for longevity but I get it makes people feel good so just say "It makes me feel good but I know it's unnecessary for long service life."..there, no more debate 🤣 People always make it sound like you have to do this if you want to keep it a long time which is simply not true.

All those poor saps buying used/off-lease vehicles...RIP with no early change.

All those poor saps buying used/off-lease vehicles...RIP with no early change.
Bob’s Paradox: This is when one is able to perform the coveted and highly touted “early dump” in order to achieve maximal engine longevity. But this also requires the purchase of a brand new vehicle which is known to be a decision that is ostracized and ridiculed by the community.

1000019216.jpg

Bob’s Paradox: This is when one is able to perform the coveted and highly touted “early dump” in order to achieve maximal engine longevity. But this also requires the purchase of a brand new vehicle which is known to be a decision that is ostracized and ridiculed by the community.
Truly the question of our time...

Current VW Sportwagen. 102K/6 years and counting. Modded for >2x stock power. Tracked. First change at 7K after car sat a year on the lot. 180 psi compression all 4 cylinders. No oil consumption. It's really unnecessary for longevity but I get it makes people feel good so just say "It makes me feel good but I know it's unnecessary for long service life."..there, no more debate 🤣 People always make it sound like you have to do this if you want to keep it a long time which is simply not true.
I tend to believe half of that is anxiety of the owner wanting to get at it and see how easy or hard the car is to change oil on. It eats at them and they just can't wait...

Oil has proven to not help with Chevy's mechanical problems.
Maybe. But for $60 and 20 minutes of my time, I slept well last night. The fact is I hardly keep these out of the powertrain warranty anyway. If it gives me a .1% better chance that my wife isn’t stranded on the side of the road, I’ll take it.

So what about everyone that keeps it a long time and doesn't do an early change? How does that work? Why 1000? Seems like 543 would be better.
It's a nice round number that gives me the fuzzies.

It's like a person who smokes 2 packs a day and lives to be over 100, who knows why.....

I just prefer to get all the metal out. 35bux for a syn oil change. And 15mins....it's a no brainer for me.

Actually when we bought our 19 Hyundai with the theta2 turbo. I changed the oil at 200kms,, 500kms and 1000kms. Left the filter on.

I was a little paranoid.
Must have worked though. We have 60k kms of all city short trip and the thing does not use any oil at all. Perfect compression across.
A bit more diluted with fuel but hey.....what can you do.

Funny watching YT now as I'm out of commission still with a bad back.. a bum..

The Car Care Nut just came on...the Toyota guy.
Selling the mandatory 1000 mile oil change..his words.
I have no problem with that...
So why doesn't Toyota offer that in their free scheduled maintenance plan if it's so important?

I already know the answers I will get here.. 😁

Back