MCD's double cheeseburger for a $1 going away

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did the math on this as part of a business development project in college, and dated a McDonald's general manager for about a year.

The actual cost of a typical quarter pound cheeseburger just about anywhere hovers in the 75 cent range for materials. Depending on your hardware and staff wage rates, your overhead can vary greatly, but you are looking at no more than a dollar generally in materials.

They expect to do $50 of sales for every person on shift in a given hour.

The only product at McDonald's which has a high materials bill is the Filet 'O Fish which costs more than 3/4 its selling price in materials, not to mention they are made to order instead of pre-made (they are made to order to save waste) as well as having their own seperate fryer vat on standby.

If you want to hold up a McDonald's line on peak, order fries no salt, a Filet 'O Fish and a large hot chocolate. All of it is made to order and will take 4-5 minutes. They like to have every order done in 90 seconds as a benchmark.

A quarter pound patty takes 78 seconds to cook at McDonald's, and the regular 1/10 pound patty takes 34 seconds. Burger King uses an automated conveyor broiler while McDonald's has a double sided griddle.

I figure some clever engineering can make one of those BK broilers into a steak vending machine.

A four ounce serving of fries costs less than 13 cents, and fountain soft drinks through agreements with Coca-Cola and Pepsi are also less than 25 cents per 20 ounce cup. The machines are leased free for any establishment that purchases more than eight cases of syrup per month.

I figured that for $4, through a well organized, streamlined operation can profit handily selling quarter pound cheeseburgers, a drink and an order of fries, even with current commodity costs. Upping the quality of the ingredients a notch, and paying fair wages would not even break the five dollar barrier.

Last edited:
Thanks for the insight.

Maccas Oz is moving towards made to order for the ultimate in freshness. Started it with their Deli Choices, not for big macs et al.

Make drive through look like a conga line around the car park.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Thanks for the insight.

Maccas Oz is moving towards made to order for the ultimate in freshness. Started it with their Deli Choices, not for big macs et al.

Make drive through look like a conga line around the car park.
Interesting thought:
If they do the make to order deal for a very long queue at the drive through line, the time differential between ordering the food and receiving the food increases greatly. Unless the food is prepared just-in-time for the customer as he drives to the pickup window, the food could be less fresh than when foods are bulk made during peak hours.

They usually make thoe inside the resteraunt wait longer, by short circuiting the standing person's order to go out the drive through window.

I had to wait behind someone who ordered fries with no salt. what a jerk!
09.gif

In the US, Dollar Menu items are prepared microwaved from a sleeve. Yum.

In Canada, and for the rest of US items, all orders are assembled after ordering. If you order a Big Mac, generally they pull all the stuff, put it together and out the chute it goes.

Everything is prepared and stuck in warming drawers until it's needed for use, or has sat too long and is thrown out.

Filet O' Fish is the exception, as the fish is prepared for every order to eliminate waste.

Chicken Selects, which were made from actual breast meat instead of slurry were dropped because they took six minutes to cook. They are used in the Snack Wrap.

In Canada, McDonald's has ran out of keys on their standard point of sale units and can't add items without removing others, for it would require $5,000,000 or more of equipment upgrades.

McBacon is half-cooked when it arrives, cooked between the double-sided grill, then patted on parchment to eliminate grease. That is why it seems so flat and tasteless.

Eggs are prepared the night before, refrigerated, then microwaved the following day.

In some smaller locations, they still deep fry the pies because it requires less equipment.

Hey, I saw the drive-thru is advertising 30 seconds or less... or your order is free!!

No matter, the only reason I look for the Big M arches is for a Men's Room.

Once a month there is nothing like a Big Mac or QP,a moderate order of fries, and a small strawberry shake. Which lately has included real strawberries in the shake not just flavoring. Mc D's like all eating places vary in quality. Find one that has good management and the food can be quite tasty.

Sucks to hear they're doing away with the $1 double cheeseburger because being a broke college student with limited funds, I have to resort to it more often than I'd like to admit. Not the greatest tasting burgers, that's for sure. Burger King has charged $1 for just their single cheeseburger for quite some time, but I prefer theirs. Everything about it just tastes better.

That whole thing was a crock. In order to prepare a superior french fry you have to cook it at a high temperature. Most vegetable oils cannot be heated to the proper temperature without smoking. So a viable alternative is to add a highly saturated fat such as beef tallow to the oil. This increased the working temperature of the oil and, just as importantly, added a taste that was generally regarded very high in tests.

Now if you want to advertise that you are using 100% vegetable oil AND still produce a good product, you have to hydrogenate the vegetable oil to an acceptable saturation level. So guess what? Your "100% vegetable oil" has just been turned into a highly saturated fat, just like the beef tallow. No difference. AND you lose the previous flavoring you got from the beef.

Bottom line there is no advantage whatsoever except marketing. Julia Child used to say that McDonald's fries were her favorite and she said this for a reason. They were very good.

Of course, the engineers try and control the oil's saturation level so that it is as minimal as possible but in the end the practical difference is very small.

Originally Posted By: AcuraTech
"Before switching to pure vegetable oil in 1990, McDonald's corporation cooked its french fries in a mixture of 93% beef tallow and 7% cottonseed oil."

Now those are some REAL french fries.

mmmmmmm, beeeeef tallow.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
Sucks to hear they're doing away with the $1 double cheeseburger because being a broke college student with limited funds, I have to resort to it more often than I'd like to admit. Not the greatest tasting burgers, that's for sure. Burger King has charged $1 for just their single cheeseburger for quite some time, but I prefer theirs. Everything about it just tastes better.

On Tuesdays, BK has 59 cent hamburgers and 69 cent cheeseburgers. Their Whopper Jr. ain't bad for a buck.

Originally Posted By: Cogito

On Tuesdays, BK has 59 cent hamburgers and 69 cent cheeseburgers. Their Whopper Jr. ain't bad for a buck.

IMHO that is one of BK's best products. Of course the regular Whopper is good too, but the WJr is a lot less fat and calories. BK's fries (although coated) are pretty good too.

Originally Posted By: NYEngineer

I agree completely. But, how many times do you think someone orders a double cheeseburger and nothing else?

I usually order 2-4 $1 chicken sandwiches all the time and bring it back home to feed my family. The store owner doesn't like it too much.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: Cogito

IMHO that is one of BK's best products. Of course the regular Whopper is good too, but the WJr is a lot less fat and calories. BK's fries (although coated) are pretty good too.

They are so much better than anything MCD has, including the Big Mac (Big [censored]).

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Originally Posted By: NYEngineer

I agree completely. But, how many times do you think someone orders a double cheeseburger and nothing else?

I usually order 2-4 $1 chicken sandwiches all the time and bring it back home to feed my family. The store owner doesn't like it too much.

When I worked at McDonald's we served $1 Big N' Tastys. The owner really hated selling this "premium" sandwich on the dollar menu. Corporate said he had to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back