Jimmy Buffet Passes - 9/1/2023

Saw him 16 times.

You didn't live if you didn't go tailgate for a show all day at least once.

He loved his fans. He knew he wasn't a great musician, but his lyrics are thought provoking, but that's not evident in the songs that only the non fan would know. Go listen to Barometer Soup and A1A and get back to me.

An icon is gone

RIP Jimmy. I never saw him in concert but agree that his songs always put me in a good mood. There was a bar we’d go to in college 2003ish, that had some ridiculous specials and opened at 6 on Thursdays. We’d be at the door waiting for them to open with the local Parrothead group pretty much every Thursday. They’d play nothing but his songs for the first hour or so and I really grew to like them. Good times.

While in Key West for training (which was pretty often when I was instructing in the F-14) I would often go down to Margaritaville.

Get a cheeseburger.

With lettuce and tomato, Heinz 57 and French fried potatoes.

Big kosher pickle and a cold draft beer.
Ate at JB's cheeseburger in paradise a few months ago in Honolulu, for lunch posted the pics of the burgeron BITOG. Nice burger, fries, and diet coke for I think was about $30 usd. Nice Burger, nothing memorable, but worked.....

RIP Jimmy. I never saw him in concert but agree that his songs always put me in a good mood. There was a bar we’d go to in college 2003ish, that had some ridiculous specials and opened at 6 on Thursdays. We’d be at the door waiting for them to open with the local Parrothead group pretty much every Thursday. They’d play nothing but his songs for the first hour or so and I really grew to like them. Good times.
JB lost me when he mocked his very loyal fans. Probably a PhD candidate on psychology could write a thesis on how a guy who had great disdain for his fans, laughed at them, kept his fans loyal support and continual money. Wonder if JB would have just as successful as a televangelist. I suspect he would have.

RIP. I enjoyed some of his music, but never really was a parrot head type. There are references in his songs which are interesting given the time I’ve spent in the Caribbean. My in laws have some great photos they took when he showed up and played in a low key bar on St. Thomas in the late 70s.

JB lost me when he mocked his very loyal fans. Probably a PhD candidate on psychology could write a thesis on how a guy who had great disdain for his fans, laughed at them, kept his fans loyal support and continual money. Wonder if JB would have just as successful as a televangelist. I suspect he would have.
So what exactly did he say and in what context?

RIP. I always enjoyed the song It’s 5 O’clock Somewhere and Margaritaville. If I ever visit one of his restaurants I definitely want to try one of his margaritas I love margaritas.

I used to hear him a lot on KFAT radio before he got famous. Nice, easy going, comfort food music. Apparently Jimmy was quite the businessman as well... A life well lived.

It's a very sad day for Parrotheads. I saw Buffet in concert with my first wife at the Lakewood Amphitheatre in Atlanta in either 1989 or 1990. I did not think I would like it much but it really was just one huge beach party. A good time was definitely had by all. I am not a parrothead myself but I do own and sometimes still listen to his Songs You Know By Heart greatest hits album. I never heard or knew anything about Buffet disrespecting his fans. RIP.

RIP Jimmy, saw you in concert in KC in the late 2000's. The Sprint Center (now T-Mobile center) was pretty new then. Great show.

JB was not a great musician. He was a great entertainer, entrepreneur, etc.

No one in the history of music was able to milk so many songs out of three chords.

Though not a Parrot Head, I still enjoy many of his songs.

It's a very sad day for Parrotheads. I saw Buffet in concert with my first wife at the Lakewood Amphitheatre in Atlanta in either 1989 or 1990. I did not think I would like it much but it really was just one huge beach party. A good time was definitely had by all. I am not a parrothead myself but I do own and sometimes still listen to his Songs You Know By Heart greatest hits album. I never heard or knew anything about Buffet disrespecting his fans. RIP.
Because he didn't disrespect his fans. The posts claiming this are, of course, politically based.

I never heard or knew anything about Buffet disrespecting his fans.

That's because he didn't.

Apparently, some people thought the musician who writes songs and sings about casual sex, recreational drug use, and going to college instead of being drafted had the same political leanings as them. When they finally woke up to the obvious, they felt "disrespected".

JB was not a great musician. He was a great entertainer, entrepreneur, etc.

No one in the history of music was able to milk so many songs out of three chords.

Though not a Parrot Head, I still enjoy many of his songs.
I always considered him a storyteller. The music was secondary.

Back